Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can't figure out how much rue to take and at what frequency

ValerianCandy

Greenlighter
Hi there,

Below is on Syrian rue taken alone, not in combination with DMT or mescaline or shrooms. It's also about taking rue on a frequent basis.

I've noticed a 'stacking' in effect if I take rue capsules with 4-6 hours between them. The first dose is more of a 'hey I feel more alert and aware and awake' feeling, I guess that's the neurotransmitter's reuptake blocking).

The second dose makes me feel a bit... slow, but functional. Things might take a little longer and I might sit and daydream for half an hour if I don't catch myself at the start of it.

By the third dose of around 800mg of finely powdered seeds, Syrian rue's own trademark visual effects kick in. The stripes, the glares, the jumping after-images and such. I get a mild headache, my stomach will be unsettled but I'm not nauseous per se, and eating something usually settles it down.

As I understand it, harmaline, harmala, harmalol, etc, etc, might have different half-lives, but the overall half-life of Syrian rue) should be three hours, meaning the effects should be gone after six hours?

The lower boundary for Syrian rue to be active (as in psychedelic) on its own was, I think, 3-5 grams?

... Maybe it's not the frequency but the dosage? But my dosages are measured with a precision scale, and I fill every capsule separately by hand rather than in bulk and weigh them, too, for accuracy's sake.

I'm a tiny thing at 48 kilos and 154 centimeters, though, so maybe that makes a difference?

I always thought my metabolism was quick with processing and getting rid of substances, per my body's ability to burn through surgery sedatives at frightening speed (surgeon had to administer extra sedation for every fifteen minutes - the entire surgery took ninety minutes.) But maybe my body is slow with certain kinds of substances?

I have absolutely not a clue, but I'd like to figure out how to calculate when the effects stop. I'm shit at self-awareness, I'm effects-oblivious, I guess. I might take medicine and perceive effectivity only by the offset and the returned symptoms, or the absence of negative side-effects. The kind of "I took aspirin and thought it didn't do shit until my headache came back and I remembered I had a headache in the first place. WTF." feeling, y'know?

The way I understand half life to work is that if the half life of a drug is 3 hours that would mean that 3 hours later half of it is out of your system, 3 hours after that half of the remaining half is out. So at 6 hours after taking it you would still have 1/4 of the initial amount still in you. 3 hours after that an 1/8, 3 hours after that 1/16 etc etc. I’d say give it 24 hours after your last dose to feel completely back to baseline, but I imagine you would feel sober before that.
Staggering your doses will extend the duration of the effects but also make it weaker than taking it all at once. If your goal is to achieve stronger effects than I would take your entire dose all at once.

What are you trying to achieve with your dosing regimen? Are you trying to get high, or are you looking for a daily anti-depressant/nootropic effect?

I take Syrian rue on a daily basis, but I only use roughly 1/3 gram at a time, twice daily. But I have noticed that if I double the dose and take it once daily, it lasts into the next day. I take it twice because I really like the effects.

I think when you’re counting half-lives you need to take into consideration both the logarithmic effect and the production of active metabolites. Also, harmine and harmaline are not the only active compounds in Syrian rue. There is tetrahydroharmine and harmalol, and there are some other quinazolines which need to be taken into consideration.

Also don’t forget that your metabolism may be affected by inhibition of liver enzymes caused by other things you may have eaten etc. There may also be some receptor upregulation at play as the beta/carbolines affect the benzodiazepine receptors, as well as inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine. And the buildup of monamines may make subsequent doses stronger.

For me, a single large dose of rue lasts more than a day.