• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

cannabis withdrawal

To the ones who can't stop comparing weed addiction to other drugs and seeing the differences with risks involved I strongly suggest that you focus your energy and time spent on helping to legalize marijuana for recreational use. If you feel so strongly about how easy it is to quit when compared to other drugs you can actually do something productive about this instead of wasting your time in this thread. This thread isn't going to cause the legalization movement to come to a halt.

With that said, this thread does serve a purpose for some people. Stay on topic.

I honestly get offended when potheads complain about withdrawal. They either have no idea what real withdrawal is or they are weak minded pussies.

Hey Snaf', I know you're probably tired of getting replies to this and don't worry, I'm not offended as I say this-- but you have to remember that a good portion of the people who complain about withdrawals are experiencing the very symptoms/issues that they were medicating away with weed, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

Say somebody has depression, just to pick an easy one. Weed makes them feel better... in some cases it's a cure-all. Then they stop smoking weed and, just like with a benzo' addiction, they suddenly experience that rubber band snap-back effect where all their ailments that they had under control rebound to new heights, and it can be overwhelming. A lot of it is the user's ignorance of their own individual psyche and physiology and then suddenly having to cope with their lives without weed.

That said, I agree with you that weed withdrawals are almost all in your mind. Almost. I know what I've gone through and I can't label a loss of appetite, tremors out of control, sweating out of control, as "in my head." It's clear that my body's physically acting differently when I abstain for ~36hrs. I guess the money shot here would be somebody proving that those physical symptoms are a result of an anxiety/stress spike upon cessation of habits, but it never felt that way to me. I also agree that benzo' and opiate addiction are both physical hells, no way around that. It's way worse than breaking a weed habit, but at the same time... it always seemed irresponsible to me to shrug off a person's cry for help with something that I have experience with. Turning it into a dick-measuring constest is never constructive, never helpful.... it just comes off as a way of telling everybody how big your dick is.

Last edited:
Hey Snaf', I know you're probably tired of getting replies to this and don't worry, I'm not offended as I say this-- but you have to remember that a good portion of the people who complain about withdrawals are experiencing the very symptoms/issues that they were medicating away with weed, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

Say somebody has depression, just to pick an easy one. Weed makes them feel better... in some cases it's a cure-all. Then they stop smoking weed and, just like with a benzo' addiction, they suddenly experience that rubber band snap-back effect where all their ailments that they had under control rebound to new heights, and it can be overwhelming. A lot of it is the user's ignorance of their own individual psyche and physiology and then suddenly having to cope with their lives without weed.

That said, I agree with you that weed withdrawals are almost all in your mind. Almost. I know what I've gone through and I can't label a loss of appetite, tremors out of control, sweating out of control, as "in my head." It's clear that my body's physically acting differently when I abstain for ~36hrs. I guess the money shot here would be somebody proving that those physical symptoms are a result of an anxiety/stress spike upon cessation of habits, but it never felt that way to me. I also agree that benzo' and opiate addiction are both physical hells, no way around that. It's way worse than breaking a weed habit, but at the same time... it always seemed irresponsible to me to shrug off a person's cry for help with something that I have experience with. Turning it into a dick-measuring constest is never constructive, never helpful.... it just comes off as a way of telling everybody how big your dick is.
I completely agree with you.

After going through nearly every type of drug withdrawal I still cannot help but cringe when people complain about weed withdrawal. You might as well be complaining about depression. I think that's my main point.

I've been an asshole the past 48 hours for a few reasons, so I do send a general apology to anyone I offended. I'm usually a really chill, unopinionated nice dude.

After going through nearly every type of drug withdrawal I still cannot help but cringe when people complain about weed withdrawal. You might as well be complaining about depression. I think that's my main point.
So what exactly are you saying here? That people with depression aren’t actually struggling. I’m sure there’s a lot of people on BL that would love to see you insert your foot into your mouth. Yet again. Please elaborate.

You might as well be complaining about depression. I think that's my main point.

I mean, I get it. I totally get it.

I just think it's worth mentioning that depression's driven people to suicide before. It's a perfect comparison because of the public view-- half the population know it to be a serious issue when properly diagnosed, and the other half think it just means you had a bad day and you're irritable.

So what exactly are you saying here? That people with depression aren’t actually struggling. I’m sure there’s a lot of people on BL that would love to see you insert your foot into your mouth. Yet again. Please elaborate.
That's not what I'm saying at all. You clearly cannot comprehend statements and ideas correctly. I'm sorry I made you feel bad but there is no reason to start trolling my posts on other threads.

I just think it's worth mentioning that depression's driven people to suicide before.
I understand, I've been in the ward twice for attempts on my own life. I have a rather strong opinion about suicide, though. I can't say I "spoke with God" or anything like that, but I did realize how wrong suicide is. I'm not even going to fully explain my opinion on it because it will probably offend people. Only in incredibly rare circumstances do I believe someone should take their own life, depression not being one of them.

Then explain it. What exactly are you saying?
If you bother to read what I wrote I am inferring that cannabis withdrawal is negligible and is mostly just underlying mental health issues coming out after being suppressed.

Please just stop embarrassing yourself and leave me alone and I will reciprocate. Be an adult.

That's not what I'm saying at all. You clearly cannot comprehend statements and ideas correctly. I'm sorry I made you feel bad but there is no reason to start trolling my posts on other threads.

I understand, I've been in the ward twice for attempts on my own life. I have a rather strong opinion about suicide, though. I can't say I "spoke with God" or anything like that, but I did realize how wrong suicide is. I'm not even going to fully explain my opinion on it because it will probably offend people.

Bro, of course it's wrong! I wasn't talking about the morality of it, just the reality.

Religion can be a strong motivator in that thought as well, the whole "Well if Life is this fucked up then whatever happens when you die has GOT to be better." But see, I don't believe in an afterlife. I think when a person dies then that's fuckin' it, bud, end of the line for you. And I've grown to realize, if I can help somebody from reaching that end of the line (especially voluntarily)... well, why the hell not? Especially online, on a forum like this, when I'm here anyways and don't have shit else better to do because, let's face it, I'm here anyways.

idk man, it's strange how this conversation developed..... but it's the same with the rookies who come through talking about weed withdrawal. If they're honestly asking, they should be able to get honest advice. There's no need to put heroin addiction and a habitual weed habit on a scale and weigh them against each other. If someone considers it a problem in their life then it's a problem, and if it gets to the point where they ask for help with that problem then they deserve the help (most of the time.)

*But hey man, I'm cuddlin' up with my vape and gettin' ready for bed. Don't think I ghosted out of this if you reply and it goes unanswered, I'll be back eventually.

Hey @SnafuInTheVoid, i hate to point this out so directly, but..
.. I know exactly what extreme depression looks and feels like. I've had it my entire life. I know what it's like to come off cannabis with extreme, suicidal depression. I've been to the psych ward my fair share of times ..
After going through nearly every type of drug withdrawal I still cannot help but cringe when people complain about weed withdrawal. You might as well be complaining about depression. I think that's my main point ..
You've been hospitalized for your depression, but you continue to mock people for this condition? Is this a modality to make fun or a fool out of yourself? If so, you're succeeding! Besides other things, i find this incoherent and a way to loose ones credibility. But let me guess..
That's not what I'm saying at all. You clearly cannot comprehend statements and ideas correctly..
I'll be honest, i obviously cannot. But i have the feeling i'll get over it. ;) I'm sorry that poeple don't live up to your proclaimed heroic and hardened standard concerning withdrawal, and that you are offended by this. What an irony, hm? But i also have the feeling that people who make the effort to look this thread up, are not out for your absolution or judgement, but would rather get some solid advice and help. In that sense, i'll stop diluting this strand now.

I wish you well, greetings. 🌵

PS.: To your credit, apologizing for being an asshole (or whatever) is a noble gesture, but doesn't mean much unless you 'walk your talk'.

Last edited:
I read on the internet about how to handle this kind of situation. Drinking a lot of water or clear fluid is the great start. For mental relaxation, take a hot bath, it would be a big help soothing physical pains. Of course a healthy diet is still a must. And when you're having anxiety and irregular sleep patterns, avoid or reduce consuming coffee. And if you want to be more healthy, you should do daily exercise. All these information that I've read are based from here.

I just hate the constant comparison of opiate/cannabis withdrawal that has flooded this thread.
A lot of opiate users will say that it isn’t getting clean that’s the tough part, it’s staying clean that is the challenge.
So yes, while the physical withdrawal is in no comparison, once your body passes through that phase, you move onto the psychology phase.

Which has been the argument that psychological withdrawal should be a cakewalk for cannabis users.
While there are all different stage of withdrawal, and everyone goes through it differently- it’s completely irrelevant to try to make a comparison.

But have you ever wondered why you never dream at all when smoking before sleep?... And then when you quit you get overwhelmed with intensely vivid dreams that lasts several weeks?

my dreaming used to be supressed in my teen's.

Now every night after smoking weed I dream. Last night 3 dreams.

Maybe its the ammount that count's but i still smoke a lot.

What differt my three addictions Cannabis, GHB and Kratom.

Hard to pinpoint but in my case GHB seemed eassier then Kratom. And the fact that Kratom and to a lesser extent GHB can be tapered. GHB had the advance in superfast clearing. Its out of your system no time.

THC lingers and seems untaperable. The Salvia Nemerosa mentioned sounds like a godsend. I looking it up, it could be usefull a stepdown during the WD fase of Cannabis. The other herb Russian Sage sounds good to.

my dreaming used to be supressed in my teen's.

Now every night after smoking weed I dream. Last night 3 dreams.

Maybe its the ammount that count's but i still smoke a lot.

How much do you smoke? Do you smoke right before bed?

What differt my three addictions Cannabis, GHB and Kratom.

Hard to pinpoint but in my case GHB seemed eassier then Kratom. And the fact that Kratom and to a lesser extent GHB can be tapered. GHB had the advance in superfast clearing. Its out of your system no time.

THC lingers and seems untaperable. The Salvia Nemerosa mentioned sounds like a godsend. I looking it up, it could be usefull a stepdown during the WD fase of Cannabis. The other herb Russian Sage sounds good to.

Kratom doesn't effect my dreaming at all. GHB gives me HORRIBLY VIVID dreams as well as sleep paralysis. I don't fuck around with GHB anymore. Alcohol is way more euphoric for me, I don't get why people like GHB - but hey to each his own right?

How much do you smoke? Do you smoke right before bed?

Kratom doesn't effect my dreaming at all. GHB gives me HORRIBLY VIVID dreams as well as sleep paralysis. I don't fuck around with GHB anymore. Alcohol is way more euphoric for me, I don't get why people like GHB - but hey to each his own right?
Right in between when necessary. F*cked my ex last night in a dream, disgusting. I hate that, why not a other random chick. I feel raped.

I was/ am Alcoholic so I get your point what was it that lured me to GHB? Kratom was allround the best.

Right in between when necessary. F*cked my ex last night in a dream, disgusting. I hate that, why not a other random chick. I feel raped.

I was/ am Alcoholic so I get your point what was it that lured me to GHB? Kratom was allround the best.

I hate sex dreams.... I really do.... annoying

I am also an alcoholic, idk... I compare myself to extreme alcoholics and makes me feel like a pussy, but I certainly get the shakes/sick when I don't drink... I'm a 750ml/day drinker not that hardcore

kratom doesn't do shit for me in terms of sleep/dreams, doesn't even get me high anymore after 6 years

I hate sex dreams.... I really do.... annoying

I am also an alcoholic, idk... I compare myself to extreme alcoholics and makes me feel like a pussy, but I certainly get the shakes/sick when I don't drink... I'm a 750ml/day drinker not that hardcore

kratom doesn't do shit for me in terms of sleep/dreams, doesn't even get me high anymore after 6 years
That makes 2 of us she is in many of my dreams but sex is the worst.

Fact was I was sober when I had that dream, stoned and benzo´d. But sober. But they seem to purpetuate any substance. These dreams.

Don't get shakes but the hairs on my arms stand right up. Is that a shiver with legs? And craving's!

I should get Kratom and get of this Ethanol/ Benzo shit. Way worse imo.

See, this is one of those ways where the drug effects people differently. For me, weed does absolutely nothing to hinder my dreams. Melatonin makes them surreal, and abstaining from cannabis leaves me unable to remember anything I've dreamt.

Thanks for saying that. I don't think we know anything about cannabis and dreams or sleep. So far it is said to affect REM sleep but not the required deep sleep we really need. I admit I can not remember dreaming at night because I do smoke. But a few times I was woken up from a sleep and remembered the vivid dream I was just having so I was dreaming.

Smoking for 45 years. I had to quit a few times. The times I was forced or could not get any I experienced resistance, insomnia and irritability. The times I set a date and did it by my choice by day 2 or 3 I was sleeping normal and falling asleep not stoned. Sure there is physical. But a lof of mental. Just my experience.

What does it matter if weed “withdrawal” is all in the head or merely the uncovering of latent or previously blocked out psychiatric issues?

I’ve had anxiety (not weed related) enough to fear for my sanity and safety and had myself admitted to hospital so I credit ‘just in your head’ conditions as potentially very serious whatever their cause.

Ceasing weed still seems to cause a reasonable number of people a high degree of fear and discomfort and adds to their difficulty in stopping a drug that science agrees can be pretty fucking bad for a lot of people’s mental health to begin with.

I reckon respond to OP with some compassionate words of wisdom or move on to some other thread if you think its all bullshit.