• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flower Cannabis sativa effects on sleep? Does no munchies mean less sleep?

@brokedownpalace10

I’m not trying to say that anyone’s observations on the differences between the effects of cannabis they had sold to them as “sativa” vs ones they had sold to them as “indica” are wrong, by the way. And anyone who lives in the same area is probably largely getting the same stuff and having similar results and creating more robust local opinions too. The effects of cannabis do seem to differ from one batch to the next and I’m not trying to deny that, but if the science says that sativa and indica labels are largely meaningless and the results we see are most likely the result of something else just being conflated with this incorrect former concept, then personally it makes me want to abandon that former concept even if it seems like it may have worked before, because I’m not comfortable knowing that I’m personally giving into a confounding variable that doesn’t actually correlate rigidly with the qualities I’m looking for. It basically says to me that what I’ve noticed are not standard, objective patterns but just the subjective patterns I’ve personally encountered so far, which doesn’t really mean anything with respect to going forward. It has undermined my faith in the sativa and indica classifiers to the point that I would genuinely rather have nothing to work with than continue using that system, and I did for years up until a couple months ago when I finally moved somewhere cannabis is legal. But that’s just my opinion and how I decide to do things; others can have theirs as well and I’ll respect that, but I will still argue for my own.
What I'm trying to say is that a careful read of the articles might show that they are not saying there is no difference between an equatorial Sativa and an Indica in the high. They are saying that there has been so much hybridization that the terms are becoming meaningless.
You can have bred a Sativa high into a plant which is Indica in every other way;
Otherwise, why would they have bred difficult to grow Sativa with hardy, short photoperiod Indica in the 70's.
Ruderalis certainly had a distinctive (lack of) high before hybridization.

The mechanism for the different highs we do have a lot to learn about.

But, something with an equatorial Sativa high being called Sativa even though it might be largely Indica is a handy label, if not 100% accurate anymore.

However, I wasn't aware of the labeling being like that in legal states. That's neat. I'm jealous.
Can you predict the high from them? I would love to read more about that.
Shame landraces are so rare now. Predicting highs from those labels and correlating that with old landraces is a study I would sign up for,

What I'm trying to say is that a careful read of the articles might show that they are not saying there is no difference between an equatorial Sativa and an Indica in the high. They are saying that there has been so much hybridization that the terms are becoming meaningless.
You can have bred a Sativa high into a plant which is Indica in every other way;
Otherwise, why would they have bred difficult to grow Sativa with hardy, short photoperiod Indica in the 70's.
Ruderalis certainly had a distinctive (lack of) high before hybridization.

The mechanism for the different highs we do have a lot to learn about.

But, something with an equatorial Sativa high being called Sativa even though it might be largely Indica is a handy label, if not 100% accurate anymore.

I understand what point you’re trying to make, but I don’t agree that both of the articles I linked suggest this. The second one mentions something to that effect, but in the interview from the first link, this is the question just before where my original excerpt started:

CCR: Now, moving onto something more controversial. Here is a statement one can find on the Web: “It is widely accepted that marijuana has two different species: Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa.” This was of course also the opinion of the great 18th century naturalist, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, but would academic botanists today agree with this statement?

Dr. Russo: Botanical taxonomists never agree on anything for very long! To paraphrase and expropriate an old Yiddish expression: 12 botanical taxonomists, 25 different opinions. Many classical botanists would argue for Cannabis as one polymorphic species based on the ability of all its types to interbreed. However, if this were true, hundreds of neotropical gesneriads (Gesneriaceae, members of the African violet family) would all be one species since they readily hybridize and produce fertile offspring. It is clear that there are many chemotypes of Cannabis: THC predominant, CBD predominant, and mixed types. This is a good basic classification, but it has also been possible to selectively breed for other chemotypes expressing high titers of THCV, cannabidivarin, cannabichromene, and even ones producing 100% of its cannabinoids as cannabigerol, or others with no cannabinoids at all. The debate continues. Some espouse Cannabis as a single species, while others describe up to four: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis, and Cannabis afghanica (or kafiristanica).6,7

I believe this quote shows that Dr. Russo acknowledges the problems of botanical taxonomy that can cause cannabis to labeled as anywhere from one to four different species as an acknowledgement by him that the idea of “sativa” and “indica” has never been truly rock-solid in the first place. He seems to bring it up to counter the idea that such a dualistic distinction ever even existed in the first place, which to me does not sound like something said by someone who is arguing that the lack of distinction between sativa and indica now is merely from overhybridization of past previously clearly separate species.

I don’t really have much of a point to make here, but wanted to say that I’ve read things before that make me wonder similar things to what Dr. Russo suggests. I’m not convinced it was ever as simple as “a sativa high” and “an indica high” in the first place, but I also don’t feel I have the credentials to speculate further on that.

However, I do advocate exactly what the professional (Dr. Russo) did explicitly recommend at the bottom of the interview: “I would strongly encourage the scientific community, the press, and the public to abandon the sativa/indica nomenclature and rather insist that accurate biochemical assays on cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles be available for Cannabis in both the medical and recreational markets.”

However, I wasn't aware of the labeling being like that in legal states. That's neat. I'm jealous.
Can you predict the high from them? I would love to read more about that.
Shame landraces are so rare now. Predicting highs from those labels and correlating that with old landraces is a study I would sign up for,

The leading theories I’m aware of suggest that yes, you can. Most people now think most of the differences between cannabis strains mostly comes from the differences in terpene levels, of which there are many that can fluctuate a lot. I will personally note that the only hard science is making sure those levels are available to be seen to the customer as a more direct and scientifically exact way of identifying and understanding your strain than labels like ‘sativa’ and ‘indica’; anything anyone claims the terpenes actually do to the high I think is still in the process of being more thoroughly proven (although I haven’t looked into those kinds of studies in a while). But there is a lot of scientific research on different terpenes that causes people to think that certain ones contribute the things that they do to the cannabis highs.

I’m no expert but if you search “cannabis terpenes” on Google or wherever you’ll find tons of information about them. If you take that information and combine it with the handy labels like this in the legal cannabis states then theoretically you can properly predict the effects you will get.

Something else I forgot to explicitly mention the first time: they already don’t include “sativa” and “indica” on the packages here, no mention of them anywhere.

[snip]

I guess they really took this advice to heart here already. I don’t know how common or widespread this is in areas with legal cannabis.

Last edited:
I understand what point you’re trying to make, but I don’t agree that both of the articles I linked suggest this. The second one mentions something to that effect, but in the interview from the first link, this is the question just before where my original excerpt started:

I believe this quote shows that Dr. Russo acknowledges the problems of botanical taxonomy that can cause cannabis to labeled as anywhere from one to four different species as an acknowledgement by him that the idea of “sativa” and “indica” has never been truly rock-solid in the first place. He seems to bring it up to counter the idea that such a dualistic distinction ever even existed in the first place, which to me does not sound like something said by someone who is arguing that the lack of distinction between sativa and indica now is merely from overhybridization of past previously clearly separate species.

I don’t really have much of a point to make here, but wanted to say that I’ve read things before that make me wonder similar things to what Dr. Russo suggests. I’m not convinced it was ever as simple as “a sativa high” and “an indica high” in the first place, but I also don’t feel I have the credentials to speculate further on that.

However, I do advocate exactly what the professional (Dr. Russo) did explicitly recommend at the bottom of the interview: “I would strongly encourage the scientific community, the press, and the public to abandon the sativa/indica nomenclature and rather insist that accurate biochemical assays on cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles be available for Cannabis in both the medical and recreational markets.”

The leading theories I’m aware of suggest that yes, you can. Most people now think most of the differences between cannabis strains mostly comes from the differences in terpene levels, of which there are many that can fluctuate a lot. I will personally note that the only hard science is making sure those levels are available to be seen to the customer as a more direct and scientifically exact way of identifying and understanding your strain than labels like ‘sativa’ and ‘indica’; anything anyone claims the terpenes actually do to the high I think is still in the process of being more thoroughly proven (although I haven’t looked into those kinds of studies in a while). But there is a lot of scientific research on different terpenes that causes people to think that certain ones contribute the things that they do to the cannabis highs.

I’m no expert but if you search “cannabis terpenes” on Google or wherever you’ll find tons of information about them. If you take that information and combine it with the handy labels like this in the legal cannabis states then theoretically you can properly predict the effects you will get.
Sure, no one is arguing whether it is Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica or Cannabis Sativa subsp: Sativa and Cannabis Sativa subsp: Indica.
That controversy has been around for years. As he says...

"The debate continues. Some espouse Cannabis as a single species, while others describe up to four: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis, and Cannabis afghanica (or kafiristanica).6,7"

I'll be more complete in the part of the first article I quoted earlier...

"Dr. Russo: There are biochemically distinct strains of Cannabis, but the sativa/indica distinction as commonly applied in the lay literature is total nonsense and an exercise in futility. One cannot in any way currently guess the biochemical content of a given Cannabis plant based on its height, branching, or leaf morphology. The degree of interbreeding/hybridization is such that only a biochemical assay tells a potential consumer or scientist what is really in the plant."

So, he definitely says there are strains which are distinct in their chemistry, and thus their high. Whether you call them strains, species, or subspecies is irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm finding the terpene thing interesting and it's obviously a thing. A thing I need to absorb more about.
But to play devil's advocate (again ;)), I have had THCA distillate which got me high enough, but then when I combined it with CBD it made the high definitely different. It felt more rounded and definitely stronger and the difference was distinct enough and repeatable enough that I always take the CBD with that, and miss it if I don't.
CBD taken with regular pot also seems to make it more sleepy and medicinal, less "floaty".

IMO, there are many things which influence the high which is produced by a certain pot and they include both cannabinoids and terpenes.
I wouldn't begin to guess the percentage of each or any those things, though.

Best quote and data from that article was...

"Rather, sedation in most common Cannabis strains is attributable to their myrcene content, a monoterpene with a strongly sedative couch-lock effect that resembles a narcotic. In contrast, a high limonene content (common to citrus peels) will be uplifting on mood, while the presence of the relatively rare terpene in Cannabis, alpha-pinene, can effectively reduce or eliminate the short-term memory impairment classically induced by THC.2,8"

Interesting stuff. I'm also wondering about how orally active those terpenes are as opposed to smoking. I've always heard that "highs" converged in how they felt with edibles, that things felt more similar.

Last edited:
Sure, no one is arguing whether it is Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica or Cannabis Sativa subsp: Sativa and Cannabis Sativa subsp: Indica.
That controversy has been around for years. As he says...

"The debate continues. Some espouse Cannabis as a single species, while others describe up to four: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis, and Cannabis afghanica (or kafiristanica).6,7"

I'll be more complete in the part of the first article I quoted earlier...

"Dr. Russo: There are biochemically distinct strains of Cannabis, but the sativa/indica distinction as commonly applied in the lay literature is total nonsense and an exercise in futility. One cannot in any way currently guess the biochemical content of a given Cannabis plant based on its height, branching, or leaf morphology. The degree of interbreeding/hybridization is such that only a biochemical assay tells a potential consumer or scientist what is really in the plant."

So, he definitely says there are strains which are distinct in their chemistry, and thus their high. Whether you call them strains, species, or subspecies is irrelevant.

Well, I’ll give you that he did mention hybridization which I missed when I checked it again, but that wasn’t really part of my original point anyway. I’m just recommending that people move on from using the labels sativa and indica now in the current cannabis market, which is exactly what he recommends completely unambiguously as well. The science pretty clearly shows that they’re not meaningful terms in the current scene, regardless of why or how it got that way, and I think it’s better to have no guide at all than to use a map you know is wrong. I think things are headed in this direction anyway based on the evidence I actually see in my hands, I assume it’ll naturally change as cannabis just becomes more completely legal everywhere and everyone else can be brought into the modern age with respect to knowing about what they’re buying.

For the record, I was not making any attempt to comment on what sativa and indica used to be or how we got to this point. The second source I linked explicitly describes the terms sativa and indica as “largely meaningless” in a study on current cannabis strains, and that’s all I was meaning to communicate about.

Yeah, I'm finding the terpene thing interesting and it's obviously a thing. A thing I need to absorb more about.
But to play devil's advocate (again ;)), I have had THCA distillate which got me high enough, but then when I combined it with CBD it made the high definitely different. It felt more rounded and definitely stronger and the difference was distinct enough and repeatable enough that I always take the CBD with that, and miss it if I don't.
CBD taken with regular pot also seems to make it more sleepy and medicinal, less "floaty".

IMO, there are many things which influence the high which is produced by a certain pot and they include both cannabinoids and terpenes.
I wouldn't begin to guess the percentage of each or any those things, though.

Best quote and data from that article was...

"Rather, sedation in most common Cannabis strains is attributable to their myrcene content, a monoterpene with a strongly sedative couch-lock effect that resembles a narcotic. In contrast, a high limonene content (common to citrus peels) will be uplifting on mood, while the presence of the relatively rare terpene in Cannabis, alpha-pinene, can effectively reduce or eliminate the short-term memory impairment classically induced by THC.2,8"

Interesting stuff. I'm also wondering about how orally active those terpenes are as opposed to smoking. I've always heard that "highs" converged in how they felt with edibles, that things felt more similar.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to say other cannabinoids don’t still matter too, there’s just a lot of focus on terpenes these days. There do tend to be more of them I think in the plants than most other cannabinoids which usually occur in pretty small amounts, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have potent effects. I don’t care much for CBD personally but not because it does nothing, on the contrary I notice it quite clearly, I just prefer my THC without it. I want to try more things like CBG and THCV too but I haven’t been able to get my hands on them yet.

Don’t quote me on this but I think terpenes are some of the chemicals that flavor some of our foods like fruit too. I think part of the traditional problem with edibles with respect to terpenes is that they just might not survive the cooking process very easily. However, I’ve heard that these days if you get hash rosin gummies, made well and the right way I assume, the terpenes can survive the process. I had some of those too and they were pretty delicious and seemed to hit pretty hard. I think the package listed high terpene amounts, I’ll see if I can find it….

If you know who 69ron is, for a while he had a forum where him and a bunch of people who were enthused about his ideas experimented with essential oils that contained the same terpenes as cannabis and attempted to see what kinds of psychoactive effects they could get from taking them alone and in high dosages. This is the link if you want to look into it. This is the same forum where most of the explorations of the infamous oilahuasca happened too. I thought a lot of it seemed pretty interesting at the times but I never tried them myself.

Like I said I haven’t lived here long so I’ve kind of just been enjoying going from one strain to the next embracing the legalization, but I haven’t really needed like any specific strains for any specific reason in that time, I just want to try it all. At some point I’m sure I’ll pay more attention to the terpenes too, they make it so easy. I think in the past I’ve liked ones that were high in linalool, I believe that’s in lavender essential oil and researched for its role in aromatherapy.

Well, the bag does say this:

[snip]

Here’s the actual stats on it:

[snip]

The numbers look small compared to a bud but I’m not sure how the weight is calculated with an edible…. My chocolate bar edible I have right now doesn’t have any terpenes listed, so there’s that.

Last edited:
Well, I’ll give you that he did mention hybridization which I missed when I checked it again, but that wasn’t really part of my original point anyway. I’m just recommending that people move on from using the labels sativa and indica now in the current cannabis market, which is exactly what he recommends completely unambiguously as well. The science pretty clearly shows that they’re not meaningful terms in the current scene, regardless of why or how it got that way, and I think it’s better to have no guide at all than to use a map you know is wrong. I think things are headed in this direction anyway based on the evidence I actually see in my hands, I assume it’ll naturally change as cannabis just becomes more completely legal everywhere and everyone else can be brought into the modern age with respect to knowing about what they’re buying.

For the record, I was not making any attempt to comment on what sativa and indica used to be or how we got to this point. The second source I linked explicitly describes the terms sativa and indica as “largely meaningless” in a study on current cannabis strains, and that’s all I was meaning to communicate about.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to say other cannabinoids don’t still matter too, there’s just a lot of focus on terpenes these days. There do tend to be more of them I think in the plants than most other cannabinoids which usually occur in pretty small amounts, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have potent effects. I don’t care much for CBD personally but not because it does nothing, on the contrary I notice it quite clearly, I just prefer my THC without it. I want to try more things like CBG and THCV too but I haven’t been able to get my hands on them yet.

Don’t quote me on this but I think terpenes are some of the chemicals that flavor some of our foods like fruit too. I think part of the traditional problem with edibles with respect to terpenes is that they just might not survive the cooking process very easily. However, I’ve heard that these days if you get hash rosin gummies, made well and the right way I assume, the terpenes can survive the process. I had some of those too and they were pretty delicious and seemed to hit pretty hard. I think the package listed high terpene amounts, I’ll see if I can find it….

If you know who 69ron is, for a while he had a forum where him and a bunch of people who were enthused about his ideas experimented with essential oils that contained the same terpenes as cannabis and attempted to see what kinds of psychoactive effects they could get from taking them alone and in high dosages. This is the link if you want to look into it. This is the same forum where most of the explorations of the infamous oilahuasca happened too. I thought a lot of it seemed pretty interesting at the times but I never tried them myself.

Like I said I haven’t lived here long so I’ve kind of just been enjoying going from one strain to the next embracing the legalization, but I haven’t really needed like any specific strains for any specific reason in that time, I just want to try it all. At some point I’m sure I’ll pay more attention to the terpenes too, they make it so easy. I think in the past I’ve liked ones that were high in linalool, I believe that’s in lavender essential oil and researched for its role in aromatherapy.
Yeah, I'm arguing this because I'm an old enough fart to remember when Indica came on the scene and everyone noticed the difference from the Equatorial Sativas available.
Some loved the buzz as is, many went to work breeding in Sativa, a much harder plant to grow in America.

I remember thinking of Indica as "bootleg pot". There was bootleg speed around at the time which was Ephedrine, Caffeine, and Phenylpropanolamine. Gave strong adrenergic effects but less dopamine tickling and so less euphoria. Without extensive knowledge, I likened the big, beautiful, Indica buds to that. Strong, but less euphoria. "Bootleg pot".

Anyway, at this point maybe we should add another species/subspecies/landrace, to the mix... Cannabis americanus subsp. indoorus. ;)
The genetics are mixed as hell worldwide, actually.

Sorry if I was pedantic, I am finding your posts extremely interesting and I'll get off my soapbox now.

I do think there is enough of the "Sativa, Indica influence" still in the muddled genetics to be a rough guide for now albeit not always accurate.
I also agree that specific listings of cannabinoids and terpenes will be better and much more dependably accurate.
That also will very much facilitate getting a handle on what does what as to quality of high.

I wonder how much of the terpene effect is aromatherapeutic and how much is that they are basically a drug on their own.
I'm coming to realize that they simply have drug effects on their own (likely). Your posts are informing me of this.
I wish I was in a legal state. We might get to vote on that this November, but the Republican legislature has been blocking that every step of the way so far. So, we'll see.

Yeah, I'm familiar with 69ron in all his incarnations and all his handles. His "conversion of LSA to LSH" stuff doesn't seem to have many confirming it, at least dependably. But I find it fascinating due to the distinct possibility that fresh seeds do contain high LSH and thus might be the real thing the shamans depended on.
I actually planted a Morning Glory I saw at the nursery this year and was going to try immature seeds, but the deer liked the plant. With the deer mafia where I live, that will probably be a write off now.

Anyway. Great convo.

Last edited:
its a bit of a minefield of a discussion, like some people say CBN does nothing for sleep but my personal experience has been different i vaped some last night again after 4-5 nights without it and i slept so good

Anyone else get the hunch that these allegedly psychoactive or modulatory terpenes in cannabis are really about as active as some other herb? Lemon balm, mint, thyme or whatever. Terpenes are abundant in plants including staple foods and are generally not considered psychoactive. When they happen to be found in the same plant as THC, people start noticing. We should entertain the possibility that this whole discourse is over-analysis driven by activism and commercial hype coupled with the very real psychoactivity of THC.

Then again, learning to perceive and work with subtle plant medicine generally could be good therapy for our dualistic, materialistic western culture. Maybe the weed hype is mostly a convenient vehicle for that mindframe.

Anyone else get the hunch that these allegedly psychoactive or modulatory terpenes in cannabis are really about as active as some other herb? Lemon balm, mint, thyme or whatever. Terpenes are abundant in plants including staple foods and are generally not considered psychoactive. When they happen to be found in the same plant as THC, people start noticing. We should entertain the possibility that this whole discourse is over-analysis driven by activism and commercial hype coupled with the very real psychoactivity of THC.

Then again, learning to perceive and work with subtle plant medicine generally could be good therapy for our dualistic, materialistic western culture. Maybe the weed hype is mostly a convenient vehicle for that mindframe.
Then there's also the fact that CBD is nearly non-psychoactive by itself, but is much more noticeable in combination with THC. That's not just THC making you notice it more. It's a modulator. It occupies receptors in it's own way and thus modifies how THC hits receptors. So, terpenes could do similar.

Then there's also the fact that CBD is nearly non-psychoactive by itself, but is much more noticeable in combination with THC. That's not just THC making you notice it more. It's a modulator. It occupies receptors in it's own way and thus modifies how THC hits receptors. So, terpenes could do similar.

Yes they could. Is there any evidence though?

I've never noticed any modulatory effect from CBD. But i'm just one guy. It could even be a case of anti-placebo on my part. I'm aware of the research on minor cannabinoids, but no corresponding research on terpenes. I've found research concerning medical, but not psychoactive or CB1-modulatory, properties of terpenes.

I'm skeptical leaning, given how susceptible humans are to illusion. Even a mere symbol or concept can elicit effects mimicking psychoactivity.

I've never noticed any modulatory effect from CBD. But i'm just one guy. It could even be a case of anti-placebo on my part. I'm aware of the research on minor cannabinoids, but no corresponding research on terpenes. I've found research concerning medical, but not psychoactive or CB1-modulatory, properties of terpenes.

I'm skeptical leaning, given how susceptible humans are to illusion. Even a mere symbol or concept can elicit effects mimicking psychoactivity.
No. There's no evidence of any of it and it's purely speculative on both our parts as regards to terpenes as far as I know. Just a thought. Terpene research is early or non-existent as regards Marijuana.

Obviously evidence that CBD can act as a modulator of THC.

Last edited:
Excellent high powered discussion. Thanks for typying all. Still soaking it in. Also still to me, a sac of weed is a sac of weed. lol But the details are interesting.

Yeah, I'm arguing this because I'm an old enough fart to remember when Indica came on the scene and everyone noticed the difference from the Equatorial Sativas available.
Some loved the buzz as is, many went to work breeding in Sativa, a much harder plant to grow in America.

I remember thinking of Indica as "bootleg pot". There was bootleg speed around at the time which was Ephedrine, Caffeine, and Phenylpropanolamine. Gave strong adrenergic effects but less dopamine tickling and so less euphoria. Without extensive knowledge, I likened the big, beautiful, Indica buds to that. Strong, but less euphoria. "Bootleg pot".

Anyway, at this point maybe we should add another species/subspecies/landrace, to the mix... Cannabis americanus subsp. indoorus. ;)
The genetics are mixed as hell worldwide, actually.

Sorry if I was pedantic, I am finding your posts extremely interesting and I'll get off my soapbox now.

For what it's worth, when I was first bringing the topic up yesterday, I was also discussing it with my dad in person. He also mentioned the differences in sativa and indica cannabis from back in the day, but immediately conceded (on his own, with no suggestion or prodding from me) that it was possible that there was merely a difference in potency. I can't speak to that; however, I will say that what you describe as the difference here perfectly describes the difference between a lower potency high and a higher potency high to me, and I don't feel I can help but point that out given what my dad said. The effects of cannabis very much work in two ways running parallel for me: a seemingly linear dosage-response curve for effects that I would label as psychedelic or psychedelic-like, and a seemingly bell-shaped dosage-response curve for what I would label as motivational effects that run on the typical euphoric to dysphoric spectrum depending on the dosage, with the top of the bell being the most euphoric point. That is to say, when I use cannabis, seemingly no matter how high I dose it will just keep becoming more and more psychedelic-like with increasingly high dosages, but the euphoric effects will only appear at the lower levels of effect, whereas when I continue to increase the dosage, the euphoric effects will first drop off to where the motivational aspect of the high/trip is decidedly neutral, and at an even higher dosage, the experience will actually be quite dysphoric.

This sounds to me a lot like how you described indica as the "bootleg pot" - strong but less euphoria - and I do know for a fact that I can experience both the weaker but more euphoric highs and the stronger but less euphoric or even dysphoric trips from the same strain, because those are really my only two options right now. Ever since moving (to the state I'm in where cannabis is legal), the only two pieces of paraphernalia I have so far are a small, around $10 pipe, and a larger, nearly $200 bong, so I've experimented quite a bit using the same strains in both for comparison to see what I want to actually use on a regular basis. I've decided for the moment to basically just stick to the small pipe in almost all circumstances, because basically, that bong gives me such a potent hit with every single hit that no amount of hits in a pipe will ever get me as high as smoking any amount of hits in the bong does, and when I smoke a strain out of the pipe it is a less powerful trip but a very pleasant high, exactly what I want out of my typical, everyday sort of use of cannabis, whereas when I smoke the same strain out of the bong the trip is very powerful, but in a way that's no fun at all, and often explicitly feels bad in my body (not dangerous or anything of course, just bad). I'm actually someone who is very sensitive to the hallucinogenic effects of cannabis, and one of the last times I tried smoking out of that bong, I literally saw Satan in a clear hallucinatory vision of Hell. By contrast, if I hallucinate at all from smoking in the small pipe, it tends to just be like... some gentle flower visuals in my peripheral vision.

So, I just want to specify that I was not giving my opinion without first hearing that of someone who can share the same perspective as you, for what it's worth, even though I was again only actively thinking of how to behave with the current situation going forward myself. And, that same person entirely on their own expressed an opinion that could support my own thoughts about a potential lack of real difference between the two types of cannabis even back then, though again I'm not trying to say anything definitively about that now. Again for what it's worth, I followed up with my father today to share your views from this thread and he countered that he still thinks the idea that they were wrong about there being any true difference to start with is feasible. I won't press that anymore but just wanted to share that for the sake of added perspective.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the things that I have to say.

I do think there is enough of the "Sativa, Indica influence" still in the muddled genetics to be a rough guide for now albeit not always accurate.
I also agree that specific listings of cannabinoids and terpenes will be better and much more dependably accurate.
That also will very much facilitate getting a handle on what does what as to quality of high.

I wonder how much of the terpene effect is aromatherapeutic and how much is that they are basically a drug on their own.
I'm coming to realize that they simply have drug effects on their own (likely). Your posts are informing me of this.
I wish I was in a legal state. We might get to vote on that this November, but the Republican legislature has been blocking that every step of the way so far. So, we'll see.

Good luck on that. :) I really can't express how great it is finally being in a legal state. I ended up just having to up and leave the one I was in rather than waiting for change but it was worth it.

Learning about the effects of terpenes convinced me to start making sure I actively smell all of my cannabis before smoking it again. I did that a lot when I was new to it, but then just kind of stopped as I aged out of the typical stoner habits I picked up while younger and it became more routine and background, but when I started smelling the strains actively again, I did feel like it increased my enjoyment of them at least a little bit. It's hard to say what the actual reason for that is though of course, I could just be making the whole experience more pleasant for myself again like those stoner rituals can do in general.

There is plenty of pharmacological research on a lot of these terpenes, even if not directly related to their role in the effects (if any) of cannabis. It seems largely undeniable that they do have the potential to have psychoactive effects, plenty of them bind to enough receptors that would allow that to happen. I don't know to what extent they would do so when absorbed in the dosages that would be gotten from either smelling or inhaling cannabis though, like how much that compares to something like aromatherapy or ingesting essential oils, or whether or not they are susceptible to breakdown from the flames when cannabis is smoked, or anything like that. I sure do feel like the most easily recognizable differences from one strain of cannabis to the next other than look and feel are smell and taste, and the latter especially is true still after smoking it, so... maybe they are surviving and there's enough of them to at least cause some receptor activation? I'll wait to see the scientific studies to say anything for certain though, but I do find it interesting.

Yeah, I'm familiar with 69ron in all his incarnations and all his handles. His "conversion of LSA to LSH" stuff doesn't seem to have many confirming it, at least dependably. But I find it fascinating due to the distinct possibility that fresh seeds do contain high LSH and thus might be the real thing the shamans depended on.
I actually planted a Morning Glory I saw at the nursery this year and was going to try immature seeds, but the deer liked the plant. With the deer mafia where I live, that will probably be a write off now.

Anyway. Great convo.

Yeah, I don't know much about that LSA chemistry, and I haven't seen much definitive information about it, although some people certainly seem to think it's real. The main controversy of his I know of is the essential oil tripping, which many people doubt. Although, I do have to say that I have personally tripped on nutmeg essential oil and it was highly active for me, although that doesn't really surprise me given that nutmeg itself is widely recognized to be active, and I didn't use any sort of other oils as enzyme inhibitors or anything like that to try it. I still one day intend to try some of the other stuff like elemi essential oil to see if I get any effect out of it. A lot of people seem to think 69ron just made a lot of stuff up, although that's personally not the feeling I got from him when I saw him talking about this stuff. I feel like it's more likely that he was just a guy who was really sensitive to getting effects from different drugs (something I also once saw him say in some of his oldest posts before said controversies) and a lot of people just weren't able to relate to what he was getting out of them. I won't say anything more confidently than that yet though.

I am enjoying the conversation as well.

I think the sentence "When they happen to be found in the same plant as THC, people start noticing." is underselling the situation. They're not just found in the plant, they are typically ingested in decidedly different ways when consuming cannabis compared to when eating foods. DMT also does nothing when eaten but the situation is very different when you smoke it. All kinds of things are possible when you skip first-pass metabolism.

That being said, I've also seen many reports where people ingested essential oils containing these terpenes and described very explicit psychoactive effects from them, from things passing as full-blown highs (not that complex, but noteworthy) to things that were supposedly actually mildly trippy (I remember someone describing pine essential oil which contains some pinene terpenes that cannabis also does as producing "flame-like visuals"). I even once read an article totally detached from anything to do with the drug scene or any specific known trip reporters about someone who was kicked out of a MLM essential oil convention for acting deranged and raving to everyone that they had discovered the secret that lime essential oil feels like cocaine if you drink it like it was going to be some big revelation for the world. However, using essential oils of fruits known to be high in these specific terpenes I can only imagine is providing the users with what would probably be considered rather high dosages, in comparison to something like smoking whatever amount of them exists in cannabis buds. Then again, maybe those high oral dosages aren't doing anything but helping for some to get by first-pass metabolism as well? But I don't want to speculate too much on that.

I have to say, it's generally pretty obvious to me that at least like 90% or more of the cannabis high is generally just coming from THC itself (even that feels like a low estimate to me, frankly). I don't actually think anyone is really debating that. I think it's pretty well-established that any non-THC component to the cannabis high is only playing some relatively very small modulatory role at best. I can say with absolute confidence that when I don't actively pay attention to what a cannabis high is doing to me, I don't really notice any differences enough for them to stand out or be memorable, I just notice the same similarities I notice between every cannabis high and that are the things I actually primarily care about using cannabis for in the first place. However, I'd be lying if I said I haven't had many strains in my life where I didn't stop and think, "You know, this one actually feels noticeably a bit different than most." I don't really doubt that there are differences, I'm just saying that I still think it's pretty clear that the effects are still mostly THC basically every time, and I don't think that's really in question. But in an ideal world where luxury is an option, why not be open to having control over even the slightest of differences, if you (anyone) really feel that it makes your life that much better? Although in the same vein, I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea of thinking of them as all different and not worrying about paying attention to it anyway because variety is the spice of life, the little differences like even just taste and smell and look are part of what I enjoy about having access to so many cannabis strains these days.

On the other end of the scale, just to put it out there, I've never not questioned the entire concepts of terpenes playing any role in cannabis either. I don't think it's really a controversial suggestion, people didn't even pay attention to them at all in the cannabis plant until pretty recently and most people didn't really seem to think there needed to be much more of an explanation than THC itself, and maybe other cannabinoids too. But I'm open to seeing what the science and scientists have to say.

There is actually quite a lot of evidence that these terpenes are pharmacologically active, even if that's not specifically research being done on cannabis itself. Linalool has known anti-seizure effects that I believe involve glutamate and GABA channels. Myrcene has been investigated a lot for its analgesic effects. Limonene, I believe, has been shown to interact with 5-HT1A receptors, like CBD. Caryophyllene is known to be a CB2 receptor agonist. I think pinene is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.... This is all off the top of my head but I'm fairly certain that's all accurate.

Whether or not there's evidence this makes a difference to the effects of cannabis yet I do not know, but there's definitely enough evidence to suggest that they could have an effect.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there is some research out there by now, or coming out soon. People have been interested in the role of terpenes in cannabis for many years now, and one article I posted on the previous page was explicitly an interview with a known cannabis scientist talking about how he believes researching terpenes is the way to go, and that interview is seven years old. I bet there's more out there than you might think, but I'd have to actually look into it myself again, it's been a pretty good while since the last time I did.

To quickly respond to the first part of your post. Na, not just potency. A strong Sativa high like Hawaiian is totally different than a strong Indica high. If you're not used to it, that's when you can get the heart racing and paranoia, whereas with a strong Indica high you just get uber sleepy and fall asleep. That's actually when it's easiest to notice.

BTW, when you have a tolerance, that strong Sativa high is just *so* good. That's where you can feel the pot to be "psychedelic" with brighter colors and thought loops, even with a tolerance.

A pure Indica just seems like something ain't there to me. I even notice that on most of the "pure Indicas" nowadays.
I've had Green Crack and then later had a "pure Indica" (whose name I cannot remember) and there is a big difference.
I've smoked lower quantities of pure Indica both "then" and now and it's just a boring calmness. If you smoke enough Indica to chase the Sativa buzz, you'll just get super sleepy and fall asleep.

Last edited:
I appreciate your perspective and the discussion, and as I said earlier I will respect your opinion. However, I will still for the moment recommend that people stop using the “sativa” and “indica” labels. I may not have been smoking cannabis as long as you have but I have been a basically 24/7 smoker for most of the last fifteen years, and I do not believe I have seen the evidence that these types of cannabis are truly different in effect in a generalizable sense, and I do believe I have seen the evidence that contemporary science agrees with this perspective. I will remain open to more evidence but that is where I am currently.

Personally, all cannabis will give me a racing heart and paranoia if my tolerance is lower, and will put me to sleep if I smoke too much in general. All cannabis feels psychedelic to me, and no cannabis ever feels boring to me. Perhaps I am simply too sensitive to the effects of THC to notice a significant difference caused by the other molecules most of the time - and I most definitely am very sensitive to the psychoactive effects of THC - but that’s how it is for me. I’m not just throwing this idea out off the cuff to sound agreeable, it’s something I genuinely wonder about as a possible confounding factor because I just really don’t need much THC, I respond to it more like some people respond to synthetic cannabinoids a lot of the time, and if you ever see me smoking I’ll be the person who actively turns down any form of concentrate or anything more than just flower in a small pipe because more than that is just generally too much for me, I don’t even enjoy going higher than that and not because I haven’t done it many times. But personally I’m fine with any strain, I don’t have any preference because I haven’t found one that didn’t give me the kinds of effects I want and expect out of cannabis in general. I’m just repeating what I’ve read in the scientific literature.

Interesting thread. But:

CCR: Sativa is often described as being uplifting and energetic, whereas indica as being relaxing and calming. Can you speculate on what could be the basis for these perceived differences?

Dr. Russo: We would all prefer simple nostrums to explain complex systems, but this is futile and even potentially dangerous in the context of a psychoactive drug such as Cannabis.

What?

Dr. Russo: The sedation of the so-called indica strains is falsely attributed to CBD content when, in fact, CBD is stimulating in low and moderate doses!

WHAT?!

Hard to buy any of his claims with remarks like these thrown in. I don't think the whole discussion is off, but I agree with @Mjäll in so far that at least this guy is. He must be tunnelvisioning on some minor aspect of CBD's activity, because unless I have to believe all CBD extracts have myrcene in them coincidentally proportionate to the measured CBD, it's plain obvious that the net effect is sedating and/or mentally obfuscating regardless of the dose.

BTW, Green Crack, supposedly a "100% Sativa" in descriptions is "said to be a cross between a 1989 Super Sativa Seed Club, a Skunk #1, and an Afghani landrace."

Skunk #1 is at least 25% Indica.

Haze, the most "Sativa of the Sativas" is sometimes cited as having some Afghani and at least is cited as having Indian genetics (which are Indica related at least by all accounts, look at a map)

And, none of them give me an "up" high. I guess you could describe "not nearly as sleepy" as "up". They do give me a happy, euphoric, and "psychedelic" high.

There was a big push in the late 70's to breed Afghani early flowering, yields, and photoperiod sensitivity into the Sativas of the day. One could argue that that was a key part of the domestic sinsemilla revolution that happened when Reagan dried up Columbian pot. I would question anything being "100% Sativa" now.

Yeah it really has more to do with cannabinoids and terps in general. Loctite is the headiest high I've ever felt and it's supposed to be 70-80% indica. Usually I get stoned and I want to just lay back and chill, but this stuff made me feel very uppity and energetic. Some of the most sedating strains I've had were labeled sativa as well. I think the cannabinoids in general matter more than the terpenes though.

We can definitely accurately predict how a high will be for the most part when buying from dispensaries, but I rarely do so. An 8th for $60 with tax vs. a half ounce for $60 off people I know, the choice is obvious there lol. Some dispensaries have $30 eighth specials but still. One of my friends works at my local dispensary and gets tons, and I mean tons of stuff for free once it expires, but my other friend grows his own and it's fire. He's got like 25 plants growing right now and used to work at a different dispensary. I think in MA you're only allowed to grow 6?

And there it is.. (btw agree with everything you’re saying in this thread)

Many substances are not psychoactive by themselves but can alter the effect of another drug. We also have to remember most herbs which also contain these terpenoids don’t usually get smoked.

-GC