• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cannabis MEGA-Thread: amotivation and the munchies

Since I am on probation, and weed stays in your system to long and erratically, I haven't smoked in over a year now.

It's so weird because I never felt like I HAD to smoke, but I think that is only because I always had it, so there wasn't really a question of trying to get it or whatever.

Now, I have been craving it really bad. I'm not off probation for another year, but I am already thinking about how badly I want to toke up after I'm through.

Honestly though, and I know I may get some flack for this but whatever, I think if I could smoke, I would be able to get off heroin. I asked my P.O. about it, but he just laughed at me :\ I guess that is to be expected though.

Honestly though, and I know I may get some flack for this but whatever, I think if I could smoke, I would be able to get off heroin.

If you could use it wisely it could probably help a lot with withdrawal and feeling a little more like yourself with PAWs.

First time in my life i can say i've gone back to my stoner ways. Bought a q the day after my last exam last year... before I knew it, six weeks had passed of heavy daily smoking... I only realized it had even been that long after i didn't smoke cones one night before bed (my ritual) and wondered why I had horribly visual, fucking terrifying nightmares that night. So realistic, I woke up choking and sweating, in a panic. And i wondered why, then it jerried... Musta been the bud...

Since then i've cut back, Uni resumes soon and no chance and I fucking that up for a few cones... Social smoking, i enjoy a lot... Never realized the negative effect it could have so quickly...

I'm at the point that I should cut back. I use it too much. But sobriety is scary no matter what it is.
Everyday for 2 years... and then bam nothing?? no thank you.
I use it so much cause it calms me so I don't get up losing it.
Honestly, I'm scared to quit. I've replaced (mostly) my kpins (Benzos) with it and for a long time it has been much better for me mentally. But its still illegal 1. and 2. I lean on it too hard.

This seems like such bs over week though. I've been addicted to SO many other things, this should be easy. *or so I tell myself*

just like everyone else who has posted in here i am really dependant on weed.
smoked occaisionally up to 2010 then everyday up until now. its always on my mind, im living to get high and smoke it. i cant sleep without it. its like ground hog day every day i dont have a life. whenever i run out its the most depressing time of my life i dont want to see or talk to anyone. il cry and long to be smoking.
i want to cut back and become less dependant but i freak out when i think about living without her.
i really love weed, i dont know how im going to cope without smoking.

First time in my life i can say i've gone back to my stoner ways. Bought a q the day after my last exam last year... before I knew it, six weeks had passed of heavy daily smoking... I only realized it had even been that long after i didn't smoke cones one night before bed (my ritual) and wondered why I had horribly visual, fucking terrifying nightmares that night. So realistic, I woke up choking and sweating, in a panic. And i wondered why, then it jerried... Musta been the bud...

Since then i've cut back, Uni resumes soon and no chance and I fucking that up for a few cones... Social smoking, i enjoy a lot... Never realized the negative effect it could have so quickly...

Ahhhhhh this jogs my memory. Bad times those were.

:\ Getting rid of my bong was the best thing I did. I suffered withdrawals though until April. :\ really not worth it. I've been smoking again heavily since July. I've had a break lately due to assignments, and the fact it is really frying my fuckin brain. I feel I am in a haze 24/7, even when i haven't smoked in a week. :\

My 14 yr old son

Hope this is the right place to post this.
I'm the mom to a 14 yr old boy with severe adhd. He was diagnosed at 4 1/2 yrs old and has been on various medications since that time. Approx. 3 months ago he discovered weed and now can't control or regulate his usage. He has some insight when he uses too much and has taken a break a couple of times. I don't smoke weed or use any substances with the exception of the occasion glass of wine or beer so his current situation really took me by surprise. I can't tolerate the 2nd hand smoke and am worried about neighbours complaining. I often come home from work to a cloudy, smokey house and I've had 2 respiratory infections since he started this. So this is about both of us.
I know it's the lack of effective or helpful treatments for his adhd that has led him to this way of managing his "symptoms". The problem is the lack of motivation and fear of what we don't know about MJ and teen brains.
The reality is, in small amounts, weed seems to really help with things like irritability, restlessness, anger, impulsivity, etc. Unfortunately, it's the amount and frequency that is really problematic.
Pharmaceutical treatments for adhd (stimulants) are a hard sell for him - he takes a very low dose of Vyvanse these days. The side effects - esp. loss of appetite and insomnia are the big issues with these drugs.
Things like passing out at a friends house until 4 a.m. resulting in me having to call the police (won't tell me where he is b/c he doesn't want me to know which of his friends also smoke) is an example of what we're facing. It's a combination of an adolescent roller-coaster of learning how the world works and making mistakes, but seems more extreme than what most parents face.
My primary concerns are the impact weed has on his developing brain, the volume & frequency of his usage, where to turn for clinical information as to whether we should be working on harm reduction, abstinence, obtaining a green card - among other concerns.
Thought I would post here for some feedback.
Thx,

Stop him if you can

Hope this is the right place to post this.
I'm the mom to a 14 yr old boy with severe adhd. He was diagnosed at 4 1/2 yrs old and has been on various medications since that time. Approx. 3 months ago he discovered weed and now can't control or regulate his usage. He has some insight when he uses too much and has taken a break a couple of times. I don't smoke weed or use any substances with the exception of the occasion glass of wine or beer so his current situation really took me by surprise. I can't tolerate the 2nd hand smoke and am worried about neighbours complaining. I often come home from work to a cloudy, smokey house and I've had 2 respiratory infections since he started this. So this is about both of us.
I know it's the lack of effective or helpful treatments for his adhd that has led him to this way of managing his "symptoms". The problem is the lack of motivation and fear of what we don't know about MJ and teen brains.
The reality is, in small amounts, weed seems to really help with things like irritability, restlessness, anger, impulsivity, etc. Unfortunately, it's the amount and frequency that is really problematic.
Pharmaceutical treatments for adhd (stimulants) are a hard sell for him - he takes a very low dose of Vyvanse these days. The side effects - esp. loss of appetite and insomnia are the big issues with these drugs.
Things like passing out at a friends house until 4 a.m. resulting in me having to call the police (won't tell me where he is b/c he doesn't want me to know which of his friends also smoke) is an example of what we're facing. It's a combination of an adolescent roller-coaster of learning how the world works and making mistakes, but seems more extreme than what most parents face.
My primary concerns are the impact weed has on his developing brain, the volume & frequency of his usage, where to turn for clinical information as to whether we should be working on harm reduction, abstinence, obtaining a green card - among other concerns.
Thought I would post here for some feedback.
Thx,

In my opinion teenagers shouldn't smoke weed. I say this because their brains are still developing and drug use messes with that. Teenage years are a crucial time where people are working out who they are as all the hormones etc kick in. It's a time where people start to develop interests, hobbies, start sussing out people more, developing friendships.

You don't want drug taking to be his primary hobby and the thing that he defines himself by, and for all of his friendships to be drug based. He'll end up staying in drug culture until something happens that forces him to re-assess things. That something may be realising that he doesn't want to be a lazy stoner dick, or realising that the boy/girl of his dreams won't consider him if he's a drug addict. Or it may be a psychotic episode, where it's unknown if and how well he'll pull through.

I have two siblings who got heavily into it as young teens (I tried it but for some reason at that time it didn't take, possibly because I was alarmed at how I saw the drug change them). It fucked their mental health (depression when not on it, anger problems, no motivation etc), fucked their schooling, fucked friendships, there was always drama. One got into other drugs and became a junkie for a couple years. I eventually became a hard stoner myself in my mid 20s after dating a stoner. The occasional toke on his pipe increased dramatically once the relationship was on its road to hell. I smoked heavily for 3 years, stopped, started, stopped started...sigh. I'm on this forum because I'm at the tail end of a month long binge after not touching the shit for 8 months or so.

From that, experience dating stoners, and as a stunted stoner myself, I think weed can also really stunt emotional maturity. It makes people lazy, makes them unaware of how they're affecting others around them and making relationships suffer.

He may have ADHD, but he doesn't need to be on a psychedelic like weed (anybody who says it isn't one, go read the Tripping thread, plenty of cannabis trip stories there.) The problem with trying to medicate with cannabis is that it can be hard to control dosage, and I don't think you'll be able to with him, from the sounds of it. He's not medicating, he's using it recreationally. There's a difference in the mind set.

The rah rah weed is harmless thing that seems to be a mantra for many American stoners (it can be legalised without lying about it, geez) is such bullshit. Especially regarding children.

Dealers who deal to kids are scum, and parents who use at home need to fucking well lock that shit away.

Good luck with your son. You may want to visit some support groups for yourself, to talk to other parents of addicts. Maybe take him to a rehab centre or support group to talk to people who are trying to give it up.

He may not be able to quit or even cut down on his usage until he himself realises that he needs to.

Last edited:
Pot is addictive to me. I was the all day every day stoner for a very long time. I needed weed. It completed me. ive done lots of different drugs and struggled with drug addiction with other drugs also, but weed was the hardest to quit. Ive been sober 5 months from everything and i plan on staying this way. I was going nowhere in life getting high all the time and not caring about anything. weed is a crutch that makes you comftarble, and there is no growth with weed. You just smoke all the time and I didnt try to make my life better because weed made me not care. Its not as bad as heroin, but its still a drug that didnt do anything positive for my life except drain my bank account And make me feel artificial happyness all the time. I just stayed in la la land oblivious to everything around me. I do admit i miss it sometimes, but i dont want to use any drugs anymore because i cant use responsibily. Whether its weed,xanax, adderal, or k2, when i get high i dont stop. So ive just accepted i need to be sober if i am to have a fulfilling life.

What i tell any new pot smoker is to treat weed like alcohol, providing they're not alcoholics. His ADHD meds are gonna royally fuck him if i were him id be smoking heavy too cuz i wont be able to eat or sleep without it. But by treating pot like alcohol then they occasionally smoke when they drink so it never becomes habitual. ADHD meds do nothing but create more ADD type symptoms for further purchase of the pills to feed big pharma and ive probably said this on a million threads cuz its true.

But regular pot use fucks u up too. I actually havent smoked since the night before last and last night i was in bed for 2 solid hours trying to sleep. Im 18 and been smoking since 15. Regularly. I've never stopped regularly using pot unless i go on vacations where there's none.

I can relate to your story as I am a parent. Both of my children were diagnosed with ADD, as I am. I take a sort of middle road on the issue of drug use in someone as young as 14 (which is exactly how old I was when I started). I do not think it is healthy (including prescribed drugs for ADD) and I agree completely with what tiredkitty said above. At the same time, I know that nothing anyone said was going to stop my use once I had discovered it--this was also true for my own sons. As you said, in small doses it can actually be helpful.

It sounds like you have taken a very open attitude about it with your son and I think you would do well to keep the conversation going in this vein. Taking a hard line ("you should stop, you are ruining your life", etc) is simply going to alienate your son and cause him to stop listening to you altogether. We need ways to honestly talk to our young people, especially our own children, about the desire to change one's consciousness. If we can start the conversation without the usual fear-mongering and morality, we allow for both positive and negative as well as neutral aspects to be discussed. Asking your son why he likes to get high--specifically what it does for him--can open up a discussion about everything from appropriate time and place to other non-drug means to achieving the same things. You can also reflect what you see about his use. ("I notice that when you smoke a little it tends to calm you down but when you smoke a lot it makes you unmotivated and incommunicable.") There is so much about adolescent drug use that has absolutely nothing to do with drugs--peer acceptance, forging an identity, having an excuse for behavior etc. It makes it hard to actually talk about the drug itself.

In terms of the smoke filled house, you have every right to set the boundaries in your own living space. If you decide that you are going to continue to allow he and his friends to smoke, get a vaporizer and insist they use it. If you decide that the only reason you can tolerate his use is for medical reasons (i.e. the help that he feels and you have observed from small doses) then you may consider getting a card and buying a tincture at a medical clinic and then being in charge of that (if you are in a medical marijuana state). Whatever you decide (and I know how difficult it is not only to make the decisions but to implement and enforce them) keep the channels of communication open. Let your son know that disagreements will happen but that the most important thing to you is that these disagreements lead to better understanding between the two of you. Make sure he knows that you have bothered to educate yourself with facts and that the amount of research being done on both the developing human brain and marijuana (separately for the most part) means that new facts are constantly emerging. Kids always accuse their parents of knee jerk reactions but IME adolescents are often the kings and queens of knee jerk reactions!8) Let your son know that dogma exists on both sides of the health benefits of weed debate and that a healthy skepticism and a good nose for bias will serve him best in life.

Passing out at a friend's house when you have no idea of his whereabouts is completely unacceptable at 14. Calling the police is an extreme response (and could lead you into the criminal justice system which is a whole other level of awful) but let him know that you are legally responsible for him until he is 18--so this affects you as well. If he does not want to put you in the position of having to call to get help in finding out if he is OK then he needs to respect your need to know by letting you know his plans. My husband and I told our kids that no matter what they were on or how high they were that we wanted to be called if they needed a ride home or just needed to leave for any reason--even at 4 in the morning.

I have avoided talking about the death of one of my sons thus far but I am starting to feel like it is somewhat dishonest to omit. I have two sons. Both of them discovered both weed and alcohol in high school/junior high. My older son, who was blessed with a very solid nature, was able to regulate and moderate his explorations with drugs and come out the other side of what I considered abuse ("normal" drinking for american teens) but my younger son continued to use everything and anything he could get his hands on and he died of an overdose three weeks after his 20th birthday. Many people see his early use of weed and alcohol as "gateway" drugs. They are, but in my mind any drug would be a gateway for someone who is desperately trying to find a peace inside that they cannot access. The true gateway to abuse and addiction IMO is the very insane world we expect super sensitive adolescents to navigate in a spiritual void. The prescriptions of this culture can be fatal to those whose natures make them more vulnerable. Authentic talk and authentic relationships are the antidote. Keep the lines of communication open and always let your son know that you have faith in him. And take good care of yourself.<3

Its time for me to stop smoking. After having a depressive and suicidal breakdown today there is no way out of it :/ I'm not happy about this, weed was one of the only things I found solace in.

It was that one place where only I could go and not feel a sensory overload of the world. It gave me something to do and look forward to.

I guess I'm just disoriented from everything that has happened lately. It is hard for me to see a positive side to this right now.

oh boy, Is so easy. You just have to stay away from your pot situations and spend more time with famili, more sleeping, exercie and all this sober boring shit. Well, not so easy.

Quit marihuana is good four your health 1st of all, and your money.

oh boy, Is so easy. You just have to stay away from your pot situations and spend more time with famili, more sleeping, exercie and all this sober boring shit. Well, not so easy.

Quit marihuana is good four your health 1st of all, and your money.

hmm, i dont like weed but have a few friends who smoke 24/7..they claim its the only way for them to enjoy the daily grind of work and just life..ive heard some people quit and say they have never felt better and then other quit for a month and literally go crazy out of boredom...which is it for you, are you more bored now that you are not smoking?literally, these 24/7 smokers all they do is sit i front of a tv and smoke and smoke some more..no motivation to do anything else but they cant see it..

hmm, i dont like weed but have a few friends who smoke 24/7..they claim its the only way for them to enjoy the daily grind of work and just life..ive heard some people quit and say they have never felt better and then other quit for a month and literally go crazy out of boredom...which is it for you, are you more bored now that you are not smoking?literally, these 24/7 smokers all they do is sit i front of a tv and smoke and smoke some more..no motivation to do anything else but they cant see it..

Well, Im more bored cuz I dont see my stoned friends like is used to be... but I try to stay active and do some exercice. Any ways, Im sober at the moment, next month Im going to visit Amsterdam, so...=D

literally, these 24/7 smokers all they do is sit i front of a tv and smoke and smoke some more..no motivation to do anything else but they cant see it..

Lol i know the kind. Though not all 24/7 pot smokers are like that.
i used to be a 24/7 stoner, still slightly am.. My girlfriend hates pot but she really approves of me smoking it, as im highly active and outgoing especially when i'm medicated..
When im not on it life is still fucking awesome..
The first few days of initially breaking my 24/7 cycle proved to be a bit heavy with anxiety and cravings etc etc, but i felt on top of the world and craving-free within a week :)