• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis long-term effects

I don't believe that cannabis is directly the reason your friends are "slow as fuck". The problem with being stoned all the time is not that it is likely to cause brain damage, but that it accommodates intellectual laziness. When I'm stoned, I find I'm much more content with being bored, watching TV, and thinking a lot about stupid things; things that don't really matter. If you smoke once or twice a week on weekends, any potential consequences are going to be minimal at worst, but there's no question that being permastoned for ten years is going to retard mental development.

i think you pretty much nailed it.

its common sense - if all you do all is play video games and smoke pot - of course you're gonna get dumber...

Actually, believe it or not i like being dumbed down because i have one of those crazy ass brains that doesnt stop......

Let me tell you life is complicated.

Food, Water, Shelter.....

.... i like being dumb

I don't understand how it could not have effected your memory?

It is well known that it does effect your memory quite a bit.

I've been smoking everyday for 1.2 years and my memory is shot as fvck.

oh it certainly affected my memory when i was smokin it for about 2 years. mostly short term, long term became stronger if anything but this varies with individuals from what ive read.

what i mean is that now, 2-3 years later, my memory is absolutely fine if not better than before!

oh i forgot to mention. ive smoked weed maybe 4 times in the last 2-3 years. if there are indeed complex long term effects im gona have a look at those links

Last edited:
Actually, believe it or not i like being dumbed down because i have one of those crazy ass brains that doesnt stop......

Let me tell you life is complicated.

Food, Water, Shelter.....

.... i like being dumb

lol i kno exactly wat u mean....i have an hyperactive brain that does NOT stop thinking. however if you're experiencing this in the process of long term large amount consumption of marijuana, its in my opinion related to the marijuana.

if not...i kno exactly how u feel :)
reminds me of that song by nirvana - dumb

I reckon weed was a pretty big factor in my anxiety disorder, seeing as my first panic attack was when i was blazed and i still get pretty anxious most of the time when i smoke it. And most of the time when i don't.

Not saying it caused it, but i reckon it made it easier for the brain to 'learn the habit of anxiety' or however you want to phrase it

Maybe I'm just using weed as a scapegoat though..

It's interesting that someone else noted that their long-term memory has improved after smoking regularly, because I've noticed the same thing. Perhaps it's simply because I tend to be more reflective of past events after smoking, but it is an interesting, seemingly contradictory phenomenon.

If you smoke occasionally, you probably won't experience any significant long-term negative effects.

If you smoke all day, every day, you probably will. These effects could even be quite serious, like bullous emphysema.

Note that I said "probably" in both statements, but they are generalizations that usually hold true.

It's interesting that someone else noted that their long-term memory has improved after smoking regularly, because I've noticed the same thing. Perhaps it's simply because I tend to be more reflective of past events after smoking, but it is an interesting, seemingly contradictory phenomenon.

yes most of the research ive read concludes that there is no significant improvement in long term memory of heavy long term weed users.

perhaps my long term memory improvement has more to do with the fact that for a long period(at least 4 months), i was doing the same dosage of weed but complemented by 20-40mg citalopram/celexa.

curious that...

If you smoke occasionally, you probably won't experience any significant long-term negative effects.

If you smoke all day, every day, you probably will. These effects could even be quite serious, like bullous emphysema.

Note that I said "probably" in both statements, but they are generalizations that usually hold true.

can you (or anyone else) list the possible long term effects of smoking weed all day, every day, for a period of ~2 years?

if i had emphysema itd show on the cxr i had recently...

I don't think it damages anything. Just alters the mind a bit. Stop smoking for a couple months and your mind will come out of the fog. THC likes to hang out.

Dissociation is a side effect when I smoke heavily ( Everyday, sometimes all day, sometimes not).

Whenever I'm in the sober period between being high I still feel not %100. Constantly dissociated from my surroundings. Example the other day at work I was sitting down at work listening to all the different sounds and they sound so foreign and distant from where I am, almost disconnected from my environment (Kind of reverb sounding, it's hard to explain). So I'll sit there completley dissociated and when someone asks me something I'll take a few seconds to register the the sound and question. It's like I'll hear the animilastic noises coming from someones mouth and then they translate into english and I'll be able to understand the question.

Also when walking down hallways things appear to stretch in the distance like I am walking down some never ending tunnel. Makes you feel a bit crazy 8o

I really don't know how to explain these effects, but basically its massive Dissociation. A feeling of disconnection from self. Excersize helps negate these effects and feel more grounded.

Anyone else get this from smoking? I'm hoping a massive cut back will help these symptoms. It's really distracting from daily life.

Dissociation is a side effect when I smoke heavily ( Everyday, sometimes all day, sometimes not).

Whenever I'm in the sober period between being high I still feel not %100. Constantly dissociated from my surroundings. Example the other day at work I was sitting down at work listening to all the different sounds and they sound so foreign and distant from where I am, almost disconnected from my environment (Kind of reverb sounding, it's hard to explain). So I'll sit there completley dissociated and when someone asks me something I'll take a few seconds to register the the sound and question. It's like I'll hear the animilastic noises coming from someones mouth and then they translate into english and I'll be able to understand the question.

Also when walking down hallways things appear to stretch in the distance like I am walking down some never ending tunnel. Makes you feel a bit crazy 8o

I really don't know how to explain these effects, but basically its massive Dissociation. A feeling of disconnection from self. Excersize helps negate these effects and feel more grounded.

Anyone else get this from smoking? I'm hoping a massive cut back will help these symptoms. It's really distracting from daily life.

same here. I get residual highs..like feeling a bit stoned for a brief period and i'm actually sober. i get visual and audio distortions depersonalization etc..I contribute this more to my acid usage tho. The weed reactivates the experience like a flashback. I was really high earlier today and shit was cool..objects appeared to melt and music warped..sometimes i can make designs appear to wiggle when i focus on them..

Last edited:
all the major potheads i know show signs of their marijuana abuse. dont know if they would all dissappear if the quit but i highly doubt it. maybe after long term abstinence.

i know that smoking weed for 6 years has made me a little dumber. inability to concentrate sometimes and my short term memory sucks. plus, i have to think over complex things (i study biology), again and again and again to understand them. i often forget the one half of the puzzle i figured out, when i move on to the next piece, and thus have to start over again with part one. this happens VERY frequently, and i think its due to the weed, cause i experience this with the simplest things when im stoned.