News Canadian Province Decriminalizes Hard Drugs

RUC4

Bluelighter
Canadian Province Decriminalizes Hard Drugs

DW
Ines Eisele
2 March 2023

excerpts:
The Canadian province of British Columbia has launched a pilot project to help decrease the number of overdoses and reduce stigma surrounding drug use.
Canada legalized the sale and consumption of cannabis in 2018, with the aim of decreasing demand on the black market and decreasing drug-related crime.

Now, the country's western province of British Columbia has launched an ambitious pilot project that will run for at least three years: Since January 31, people found in possession of up to 2.5 grams of hard drugs will no longer be committing an offense. Adults carrying a combined total of fewer than 2.5 grams of cocaine (in powder or "crack" form), methamphetamine, MDMA, heroin, morphine, fentanyl will not be arrested or prosecuted. Nor will the substances be confiscated.
Carolyn Bennett, Canada's mental health and addictions minister, said she had "thoroughly reviewed and carefully considered both the public health and public safety impacts of this request."

"Eliminating criminal penalties for those carrying small amounts of illicit drugs for personal use will reduce stigma and harm and provide another tool for British Columbia to end the overdose crisis," she said.

I know we've covered the evolving Canadian drug policies, but this is a step forward for BC. It's a pretty bold move in what could be the right direction. Would do you guys think?

I personally don't think it's the government's business what I put in my body, but they can govern behavior that's detrimental to society. In other words, govern crime like stealing, assaulting, etc. The fact that I could lose my freedom over something I put in my own body is crazy. It's My body.

Very proud Canadian moment. One man is even going to attempt opening a brick and mortar store selling cocaine, heroin, MDMA... et cetera (I've included the article for anyone who's interested).

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-man...e-and-other-hard-drugs-commercially-1.6298901
and then there's THIS. (<---- click the link to read the article)
"A company from B.C.'s Lower Mainland has walked back statements issued last month after receiving Health Canada approval to produce and sell cocaine under limited circumstances.

The controlled substances licence approved for Adastra Labs does not permit the Langley company to sell cocaine or psilocybin to the general public, according to a retraction and clarification provided Friday."