• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada to schedule tramadol, O-desmethyltramadol, and N,O-didesmethyltramadol

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Order Amending Schedule I to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Tramadol): SOR/2021-44
Canada Gazette, Part II
March 18th, 2021

Order Amending Schedule I to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Tramadol)

Amendment

1 Schedule I to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act is amended by adding the following after item 26:

27 Tramadol (2-[(dimethylamino)methyl]-1-(3-methoxyphenyl)cyclohexanol), its salts, isomers and salts of isomers and the following derivatives of tramadol and the salts, isomers and salts of isomers of those derivatives:

(1) O-desmethyltramadol (3-[2-[(dimethylamino)methyl]-1hydroxycyclohexyl]-phenol)
(2) N,O-didesmethyltramadol (3-[1-hydroxy-2[(methylamino)methyl]cyclohexyl]phenol)

Coming into Force

2 This Order comes into force on the first anniversary of the day on which it is published in the Canada Gazette, Part II [March 18th, 2022].

Read the regulation here.

Read the government's reasoning for this decision here.

At least they are not lumping in the always-vague "analogues". Still, this is disheartening. It had been quite a while since Canada had scheduled anything.

At least they are not lumping in the always-vague "analogues". Still, this is disheartening. It had been quite a while since Canada had scheduled anything.
Is schedule 1 in Canada like the US where that means it can’t even be prescribed?

hopefully Canada gets full decrim soon, I’ve been hearing that’s in the works

Is schedule 1 in Canada like the US where that means it can’t even be prescribed?
No, we don't have any level of control like that here. Our Schedule I is just the level with the highest penalties, but it contains plenty of prescription drugs.

No, we don't have any level of control like that here. Our Schedule I is just the level with the highest penalties, but it contains plenty of prescription drugs.
Gotcha, well that’s a bit better i suppose