• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - London doctor prescribing opioids to drug users draws praise, raises concerns

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
London doctor prescribing opioids to drug users draws praise, raises concerns
Jennifer Bieman
The London Free Press
June 21st, 2019
It’s a bold move, testing the limits of how far harm-reduction efforts should go in the face of the deadly opioid drug crisis sweeping London and much of Canada.

A program in London is giving prescription narcotics to some of the city’s most vulnerable people — the drug users whose addiction puts them at imminent risk of infections and deadly overdoses.

London Intercommunity Health Centre family doctor Andrea Sereda has been quietly prescribing opioids to a group of people struggling with addiction as a way to deter them from instead seeking out illegal street drugs, including hyper-potent fentanyl.

“People are turning around really quickly and really solidly on the program,” said Sereda. “We select people who we think are highly vulnerable and at high risk of death. . . . We are being really careful and really thoughtful about how we prescribe these opioids.”

There have been no overdose fatalities among the group, she said.
Read the full story here.

So in Ontario the poison dope fake opioid addiction crisis pushed by the rehab indu$try and US Government comes to town, except, without apparently 105 years of helping addicts being illegal as per the racist Harrison Narcotic Act 1914 (the US Supreme Court's Linder decision be damned) and the result is that they, or at least this doctor and defenders and protectors, actually are on the stick, and have a medical insight -- the unnatural actions of methadone do not satisfy everybody, suboxone isn't perfect, which is why Austria and other European countries have been trying adding options ranging from extended-release dihydrocodeine, MST Continus, extended-release hydromorphone, Dipidolor (piritamide), Palfium, smack and other things, even concentrated dextropropxyphene linctus, which may be Taiwan if I am not mistaken. Then there is the human rights dimension of the psychology they want to whip on them and the "controlled environment" Not one size fits all.

In the US, your prescribing patterns are a hundredth of a standard deviation above what number they hit with a drunken throw at a dartboard, they call the newspapers, hassle you on the telephone, and send private dicks to see if you are trading sex, money, or drugs for scripts. Damn man! I usually fuck my accountant when we are done and have eaten city councillor and social worker pussy on the desk, but that's because they asked me, so dayum, as that comedian says . . . that's hard core and slanders a whole profession, don't you think?

As I often say, God bless Canada.

Last edited:
Doctor suggests giving opioid users legal drugs
Connell Smith
CBC
March 9th, 2020
An Ontario family doctor who says opioid users should be given access to their drug of choice will make her case in New Brunswick later this month.

Andrea Sereda works at the London Intercommunity Health Centre, where she runs a program that prescribes pharmaceutical grade opioids to high-risk people who had been getting their drugs on the street.

The program was launched four years ago with a handful of drug users following a spike in deaths.

Sereda said the program is working extremely well.

Despite a steady increase in opioid overdose deaths across the country — there were 937 in Ontario alone last year — no one in the London program has died.
Read the full story here.

What a hero! :love:

seem to be working over here on the west coast, good to see canada is leading the return to rational opioid therapy