• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Can you speed up a grow with a 21 hour day?

papercuts

Bluelighter
I've wondered this for a while, has anyone tried growing with a 21 hour day?

7 days of 24 hours = 168 hours = 21 hours x 8 days

So if I set the timing schedule for flowering lights to 11 hours light + 10 hours dark then there are 8 "days" in the week instead of seven and it will complete 56 "days" flowering in 7 weeks instead of 8 weeks.

Does this fool the plant into thinking more time has passed and it ought to finish now?

They might end up smaller, but would they mature quicker?

Last edited:
Salutations PaperCuts,

Years ago i asked a similar question while also integrating some concept of synchronized power redistribution between 3 separate cultivation spaces/sessions to avoid sending a strong 12-12 barker signature to smart meters, for example:

Stealthy_Timing_12_-_4_480x130.png

E.G. 3 non-earth days in just 2... The difference being i would have a little more daylight and much less darkness, plus i figured it would require autofem genetics. Nodody seemed to simply understand (or care) about such topic at the time, although it's a fact earth days used to be a lot shorter in its distant past.

Ever heard of the Gas Lamp Routine? Go figure maybe more extravagant schedules might fit in too:

Stealthy_Timing_480x130.png

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Hi Egzoset,
Did you think it sped them up at all? I'd have to keep the dark and light periods the same for non-autoflowering and I was only thinking of increasing light cycles a little so it was still in line with the earth before life began, :ROFLMAO:

Ah yes, the begining of vegetal life i guess...

Well, 1st of all i must admit i may have mistaken a few thing myself: memories! That was a long while ago but i got an after-thought and would describe those drawings as little more than just some illustrative manner to introduce the topic, which is about finding how little daylight and reduced darkness autoflowers would endure. And given the long delays involved why not have multiple experimental "sessions", hence in turn offering a double-purpose opportunity to synchronize those...

Stretch daylight and/or darkness as required, in short grey in my schematization stands for 1 basic session while i time-shifted copies differenciated in colours. Assuming we have actually 4 cultivation spaces and 1 walking-ring controller extinguishing a single session's daylight power, one after the next only 3 session would be on at any given time... If your daylight and darkness requirements are met and hermaphrodites are no concern then that should help the conceiving of some future prototyping platform IMO.

4 years into Trudeau's « Légaleezation » i yet have to read any article on similar challenges. By chance i don't really rely on how far in the past it goes to propose a way to advance such discussion. In other words, in your opinion... What's the minimally allowable daylight and darkness period durations that would remain viable alternatives??

Who knows, maybe the gained days could even prove being part of a futuristic strategy against infestations...

🕷️

P.S.: anyone ever considered maybe a plant will manifest signs that it's ready to transition to the next sycle: e.g. daylight if darkness, darnkess if daylight, or vice-versa... After all it physically moves its nice features around twice a day, as i recall; which is probably involving gas exchanges, temperature variations, even electric conductivity! Go wonder. Wouldn,t it be great if the plants decided of their favourite daylight/darkness schedules, now imagine adjusting from the vegetative to flowering phase.

So if I set the timing schedule for flowering lights to 11 hours light + 10 hours dark then there are 8 "days" in the week instead of seven and it will complete 56 "days" flowering in 7 weeks instead of 8 weeks.

Does this fool the plant into thinking more time has passed and it ought to finish now?

Hey pappercuts:)....March,April,May.....and u got ur cucumbers or tomatoes in their full shine in ur garden......and this year u will have a lot......remember my words in June(if u live in North Hemisphere)❤️..
PS......not avout cannabis i talk......u know what i mean... know

Last edited:
But does it result in overall bigger or better yield or just having your weed done a bit faster?

as long as you're not talking auto-flowering here, it's all about the dark period for flowering - so you need that 12 hours off minimum for them to flower properly - if you mess with that, you're risking hermaphrodites and improper flowering

They may mature quicker but it seems the quicker plants mature the less full the buds are, and can also reduce quality too if flowered too fast. I use to run an 8/16 or 10/14 schedule to make mine flower quicker due to the grow space size. It definitely sped things along compared to 12/12 but yield suffered. I noticed a couple plants almost needed 10/14 or they’d stay vegging forever too.

-GC

People have done a looooot of tinkering and had little success. If you want to speed things up it's best to do it through genetics. All you can do is give the plant ideal conditions, rarely can you "push" it.

Sites like overgrow and icmag would be best for in depth info on stuff like this

They may mature quicker but it seems the quicker plants mature the less full the buds are, and can also reduce quality too if flowered too fast. I use to run an 8/16 or 10/14 schedule to make mine flower quicker due to the grow space size. It definitely sped things along compared to 12/12 but yield suffered. I noticed a couple plants almost needed 10/14 or they’d stay vegging forever too.

-GC
I wonder if the intensity of the lights makes a difference to the plants that like to stay in veg? Maybe 12 hours of too bright is still too much?
Everything is so hybridized it's hard to know what to expect unless you keep your own mother plants and not everyone has a place to keep them.

I was shown a jokerz (yet another new feminized hybrid claiming over 33% thc) that was forming female pistols with lights still at 19/5, way before flipping, but it's a feminised hybrid, so perhaps some autoflowering genetics are creeping into the new strains? the starkiller next to it was just speeding away upwards without a thought of flowering yet. The buds sites on both would keep anyone happy, but the jokerz just isn't as big in the same size basket. No hang on, I think that had a runtz in the mix, back to genetics of the smaller plant then.

I'm not sure the names mean so much any more. We have seen varieties that are meant to be the same be more like an unrelated plant, other times you'll grow different phenos only to have them all look the same, smell the same, smoke the same and you wonder was there any difference at all in the seeds.

I noticed some companies have started selling F1 versions, sensible reaction to the problem.

Not directly a problem for me, the contributions i had to make have been performed years ago already, in company of pa$$ionate hater$ from FuckCombustion, AFN and a couple dozens more defending an indu$try that's dommed but they don't realize this just yet, because it's comfortable being dominating alpha's with blatant badges and titles i suppose + enjoying love points like water droplets on a rainy day.

Of course nobody ever cared to actually test all possible scenarios, or we'd have all read about it by now! Not to mention the old photo-against-auto battles will never end, the young guys aiming for the mountain's top frantically, unaware nothing lasts forever...

where's the beef?

Exactly.

Doubt is scientific intrinsically but $¢ien¢e ain't no True Science until doubt has been correctly evacutated, which comes at the ¢o$t of asking a few relevant questions...

Any citizen sane enough to vote should remain critical of those trying to shut everyone else's fundamental right/duty to self-expression. Actually "science" is expected to embrace questions and doubt by sumbitting willingly to *INDEPENDANT* experimentation causing new knowledge to emerge. And i yet have to fall by accident or otherwise on an article stuffed with statistic plots and other easy to grasp evidence that won't depend on who's saying what. Maybe some man with plenty of resource has performed such a research and i just didn't know, yet i'm awaiting correction and may even be willing to spread the good news, that finally all co-factors accounted for it's still 12/12 that is a win-win.

Just keep in mind the planet won't stop spinning for any of us, at least that much i know. It's also common Science knowledge that earth's day duration was NOT always 24 h and it's not going to stay that way neither. Hence one may satisfy with both camps waiting until the situation develops, or eventually try to break the eveness sooner than later, when there's nobody left to brang on top of the mountain... Ah, and if it's ever going to insipire any future projects it won't hurt asking questions that could happen to ignite a little tiny spark of criticism, curiosity and determination to match in testing the current "state-of-the-art" knowledge, because as i pointed out everything transforms and nothing can be reasonably expected to last forever. Furthermore, even if the statu quo stays on one side of a fence there's still emergeance of new technologies that could adapt genetics to purposes such as cannabis growing in space.

☮️

Exactly.

Doubt is scientific intrinsically but $¢ien¢e ain't no True Science until doubt has been correctly evacutated, which comes at the ¢o$t of asking a few relevant questions...

Any citizen sane enough to vote should remain critical of those trying to shut everyone else's fundamental right/duty to self-expression. Actually "science" is expected to embrace questions and doubt by sumbitting willingly to *INDEPENDANT* experimentation causing new knowledge to emerge. And i yet have to fall by accident or otherwise on an article stuffed with statistic plots and other easy to grasp evidence that won't depend on who's saying what. Maybe some man with plenty of resource has performed such a research and i just didn't know, yet i'm awaiting correction and may even be willing to spread the good news, that finally all co-factors accounted for it's still 12/12 that is a win-win.

Just keep in mind the planet won't stop spinning for any of us, at least that much i know. It's also common Science knowledge that earth's day duration was NOT always 24 h and it's not going to stay that way neither. Hence one may satisfy with both camps waiting until the situation develops, or eventually try to break the eveness sooner than later, when there's nobody left to brang on top of the mountain... Ah, and if it's ever going to insipire any future projects it won't hurt asking questions that could happen to ignite a little tiny spark of criticism, curiosity and determination to match in testing the current "state-of-the-art" knowledge, because as i pointed out everything transforms and nothing can be reasonably expected to last forever. Furthermore, even if the statu quo stays on one side of a fence there's still emergeance of new technologies that could adapt genetics to purposes such as cannabis growing in space.

☮️

I'm waiting for science to take a legal flowering plant and splice some thc production into its genes. Then we can be done with all this cloak and dagger and smoke our legally grown blueberries or tomatoes, or eat our naturally made edibles.