• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can you IM RED methadone?

lexi11

Greenlighter
I have heard that you can IV methadone, but I didn't see anything about safety or the correct way to do it. For me the oral route takes about an hour to make me feel normal and stop the pain. Would be nice if I could use for break through pain. My veins suck so I IM everything.

ALso is I get 100mg in my bottle how much methadone is in 1cc of read fluid?

I know shooting subutex is useless, shooting suboxone pills is stupid. But what about methadone? Or is methadone a predrug and needs to go to the liver to break down into the active drug?

Absolutely not. Trying to IM that liquid will have a horrible outcome. I used to IV that red stuff, which is bad enough, but IM'ing it is a whole other level as far as bad ideas go. Don't do it.

So what happens if you inject it? Does your head explode? You cant just say "bad idea" with out why.

So what happens if you inject it? Does your head explode? You cant just say "bad idea" with out why.

The risk of infection is high, and abscesses are guaranteed due to the additives. It will also damage the muscle directly (fibrosis) and this is irreversible. Unlike when methadone liquid is injected into a vein, when it is injected into a muscle it has no where to go. Foreign contaminants introduced into the circulatory system are filtered by the body to a degree, but when introduced into the muscles, they get trapped.

Yes methadone is water soluble, but so is alot of the other stuff in methadone oral solution, so there is no way to separate just the methadone. I used to inject (IV) that red methadone liquid years ago, and it is very caustic. Destroyed a bunch of veins. Putting that into the muscle will do the same, but worse.

Plus even if it was safe it's not really worth it. IV methadone really isn't that much better or stronger than oral methadone, and IM methadone will be even closer to oral in terms of effects. Not worth the dissolving your muscles or risking amputation just for 10% more of an effect

The only time IV methadone seemed really different to me was when I was hospitalized after breaking a bone and had to have surgery. They gave me my entire methadone dose at the time (which was a massive 380mg/day, a dose I was on before breaking that bone) intravenously -- which is something my methadone clinic told them to do because of course my normal 380mg/day orally didn't help my pain really. The thing is, I was used to taking the methadone in divided doses (240mg in the morning and 140mg in the late afternoon). I guess they didn't know that, since they gave me the whole 380mg intravenously. Never been so high on methadone in my life. I almost told them it was too much because I was nodding uncontrollably and it felt like I had to remember to breathe. But being a junky, I didn't tell them I was worried. I figured that if I stopped breathing for long enough my blood oxygen meter would tell them anyhow 🤣

I think I only injected methadone when I was on lower doses, like below 150mg. If you feel like you need to inject it then you probably need a higher doses. But if you do inject it, you won't get high anyway, so it's not worth the risk.

I was getting ready to walk into work when I saw this thread. I'm gonna skip my usual verbose approach here.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. NOT EVER. EVEN INTRAVENOUS USAGE IS EXTREMELY CONTRAINDICATED.

If you take Methadone Solution intramuscularly, I'd wager you have a better chance of developing a severe complication at the site than not. I've used Methadone Solution intravenously. To put things in perspective, I used Heroin intravenously for almost a decade and still had 90% of my veins in good shape due to rotation and clean works.

I ended up getting a hold of some intravenous catheter setups and some 60ml luer-lock syringes, which I would use to inject ~50% of a bottle of Methadone with each push. As soon as I started pushing down, my arm felt like fire. You know how it is though, the only thing that was gonna stop me from destroying my body at such a late stage would be the devil himself. I kept going.

I ended up doing 2-3 sessions total like this. By the time I was done, I had destroyed 90% of the veins on both arms. It wasn't just the vein that I used to inject. It spread like plague to all connected veins. To this day, they have to get the ultrasound out to stick me for any reason. This was after years of great service from those veins.

If you want a faster onset, take the solution rectally. The onset is approximately twice as fast and there are not really any complications you need to worry about.

Last edited:
I IM'd the red cherry liquid once and only once. (I also IV'd but I can't tell what caused my issues). But I put some of that red liquid into my butt cheek and for the next 24 hours had something similar to cotton fever. I was sick. My muscle really hurt. Had a fever. Was vomiting. I consider it to be one of the bigger mistakes I did in my life.

Just drink the liquid. Works great that way.

Dont put that methadone in your muscle, you will regret it , just drink it, i promise its the best way to take it. even injecting it is stupid doesnt even work that great. they dont give injectable methadone for a reason. or we would all be shooting it up. they only give methadone injectable solution in hospitals. its not the same stuff you get at the clinic. dont be dumb just drink it plesae. and ask for dose increase . tell them how your feeling you will go up

The risk of infection is high, and abscesses are guaranteed due to the additives. It will also damage the muscle directly (fibrosis) and this is irreversible. Unlike when methadone liquid is injected into a vein, when it is injected into a muscle it has no where to go. Foreign contaminants introduced into the circulatory system are filtered by the body to a degree, but when introduced into the muscles, they get trapped.

Yes methadone is water soluble, but so is alot of the other stuff in methadone oral solution, so there is no way to separate just the methadone. I used to inject (IV) that red methadone liquid years ago, and it is very caustic. Destroyed a bunch of veins. Putting that into the muscle will do the same, but worse.

Plus even if it was safe it's not really worth it. IV methadone really isn't that much better or stronger than oral methadone, and IM methadone will be even closer to oral in terms of effects. Not worth the dissolving your muscles or risking amputation just for 10% more of an effect

The only time IV methadone seemed really different to me was when I was hospitalized after breaking a bone and had to have surgery. They gave me my entire methadone dose at the time (which was a massive 380mg/day, a dose I was on before breaking that bone) intravenously -- which is something my methadone clinic told them to do because of course my normal 380mg/day orally didn't help my pain really. The thing is, I was used to taking the methadone in divided doses (240mg in the morning and 140mg in the late afternoon). I guess they didn't know that, since they gave me the whole 380mg intravenously. Never been so high on methadone in my life. I almost told them it was too much because I was nodding uncontrollably and it felt like I had to remember to breathe. But being a junky, I didn't tell them I was worried. I figured that if I stopped breathing for long enough my blood oxygen meter would tell them anyhow 🤣

I think I only injected methadone when I was on lower doses, like below 150mg. If you feel like you need to inject it then you probably need a higher doses. But if you do inject it, you won't get high anyway, so it's not worth the risk.
How were you able to get your dose to 380mg??.. getting it above 200mg seems to be impossible at the few clinics I’ve been a doser..

I believe he did. Think about it, hope the pain isn't too bad, if it worked, others would do it, yet they don't. Therefore, it doesn't work.

How were you able to get your dose to 380mg??.. getting it above 200mg seems to be impossible at the few clinics I’ve been a doser..

It was an expensive private clinic. The woman that ran it seemed to be sipping on the syrup herself because she always seemed high. The place shut down years ago, don't know why (I was off methadone at that point).

It was an expensive private clinic. The woman that ran it seemed to be sipping on the syrup herself because she always seemed high. The place shut down years ago, don't know why (I was off methadone at that point).

Very funny. I was at a clinic in Boston that was for-pay/for-profit and it was pretty much the same story. Here in Burlington and Vermont in general, it's covered by medicaid. Even if you don't have Medicaid, the clinic will dose you and have someone get you on Medicaid. Goddam I've almost forgotten about all the people who couldn't pay. If you showed up without the money, you were started on "administrative detox" the next day, which was 3 days in between whatever the hell your dose was and 0mg of Methadone.

Massachusetts is liberal, yes, just like a lot of New England, but if you really wanna be near the Harm Reduction-in action, Burlington Vermont is a good place to be.

Wow kief' that's ruthless. 3 days between whatever does and 0....

May as well hand out phone numbers on day of the last dose.
That sort of treatment, In my view, depleats the point of methadone treatment all together. Surely the must of been doing that knowing most people would go straight back to gear?
I mean if someone's gonna quit cold turkey then there not gonna go to the clinic, their gonna stay in bed probs.

I dunno just seems completely sideways to me that.