• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Can true poly drug addict ever learn to moderate drug use?

I think although this question is very straight forward in terms of yes or no i dont think the actual answer is as simple, albeit a boring answer i would say...

It depends.

I think the human brain is still very misunderstood and alot of factors goes into why people use mind altering substances.

After all we are just animals and our thoughts/emotions are simply a chemical reaction in the brain that gives us said feelings .

The brain can be a really deceiving thing. After all some things it enjoys is not necessarily good for us. But because we enjoy the feeling we do it again.

Can someone responsibly use drugs . Again this depends. Mental wellbeing, discipline, being emotionally stable, our genetic make up? All play a role in being to be able to use responsibly. The problem comes when said use effects mental wellbeing and in turn you use to make you feel better. I guess this is where addiction can form and this again is something that is quite variable from person to person. Some people seem to have better willpower than others.

I would say that not only finding a "balance" is possible but doable.
Not sure how others have worked this out but my walk on the tightrope is sustainable via keeping focused on those around me. I do think about drugs all the time even 4 or 5 yrs after starting this life alteration. It also took like 3 years to get my sleeping regime back on track. Just thought about that a couple nights ago before nodding out without help at 9pm. The fuckin sleepless nights. Torture. But good now and thankful as a mf.
I was a selfish prick that only cares about what I wanted and everything around me paid the price. This fact hit me full on at sime point about 5 or 6 years ago and it fucked me up mentally as everything I did came back and the realization nearly killed me a few times from heavy drug use as I certainly didnt wanna deal with all that shit.
M aybe I finally "grew up". IDK. I dont know shit, honestly. Just tryin to figure it all out. I may be going backward. Does it matter? lol
Life is truly more comfortable now and my concious is mostly clear... nothing seems to be "haunting" me anymore and keeoing me up but still I am not free from the past. Sometimes I get crippling "flashbacks" and they hurt like a mf. This is mostly when I want to grab some h or crack or alcohol or benzos or all of them and more.
Still working on it but seems sustainable so far.
love

I tend to agree..wish I could follow through with the action despite being a 12 step regular.

Probably need months of inpatient although my use is sporadic and not 100٪ dope junkie.

It's the only thing i can think of. Tat capitalism machines has me feeling guilt to take Timr to fix myself like that
I've spent 2 years of my life in inpatient rehabs and it's the same shit...weelll I'm not 100% sure cause I wasn't ready to quit at the time. I always come back tho. The longest I've been clean was 9 months twice and both times relapsed within a week:eek: I was 20 years old anyway, so not ready to quit. Maybe at this age (28) it would be different.

I want to make this clear: I am NOT against 12-Step programs. They helped me a little bit and for some folks they are life-saving.

Also, I am NOT advising any clean/sober person to try their DOC again. For decades that meant a helluva lot of suffering for me.

I'm just saying that I was always a chronic relapser and THIS TIME, for reasons unknown to me, things turned out OK. It's working for me and I'm sticking with it.

Whatever works for you--- well, you do you.

"Impossible", "unreachable"...if those things were actually true than I would be unable to point to even a single person who managed to accomplish this (i.e., using psychoactive drugs in a sustainable, non-self destructive fashion after having endured some kind of problematic relationship with drugs/drug addiction in their past).

But of course it isn't true. I've known multiple people in my personal life who've managed to incorporate some kind of recreational drug usage into their lives after having gone "off the deep end" in the past. A lot of times people simply age out of crazed reckless drug addict-y behavior, as has been alluded to in this thread.

I understand why those programs say that, though...a lot of times I feel like those programs work best for people who appreciate "structure". It's a very structured approach: it's a list of 12 simple steps that you proceed through. So, with that in mind, saying that total abstinence is the one and only method for success and portraying the situation as "black and white" like that is perhaps more effective than portraying addiction and sobriety in shades of gray.
Ha..once in the comunity I said the same thing to my director(of the house)-There is no all black and white in the world.He was former longtime drugaddict with jail term around 20 years served.HIV and HCV positive.He answered me-No.there is only black and white in the world.Other colours are illusion made from the Satan itself to manipulate people.Then sounds me very far and fanatic,but looking how this exaddict and cancer patient grab a wardrobe on his shoulder and start to climbing a staircase,think to my self,that is easiest way...to make the thing easier.To not think too much and worry,but follow the Divine.Question of faith.He was clean more than 15 years.No drink,no smoke,standing hard on his feet.Ordinary man from Caravanchell,Madrid.A good man.

I've spent 2 years of my life in inpatient rehabs and it's the same shit...weelll I'm not 100% sure cause I wasn't ready to quit at the time. I always come back tho. The longest I've been clean was 9 months twice and both times relapsed within a week:eek: I was 20 years old anyway, so not ready to quit. Maybe at this age (28) it would be different.
I've never been to rehab I could use a month long vacay on the beach tho. But it seems like most of the ppl.there are forced to be there wing NA is more voluntary to show up

Over the years I've been to 7 inpatient and 6 outpatient rehabs. Never stayed in a fancy one on the beach or anything like that. Very basic.

Nevertheless I came to really enjoy the camaraderie in rehabs. Socially, it was like summer camp. There's nothing like living with 40 to 50 other addicts from all walks of life for 28 days. Never a dull moment! And sometimes it was actually a lot of fun.

At some point I stopped calling myself a chronic relapser and said I was just addicted to rehab. 🤣

Interesting conversation. For my sake, I hope it is true that I'll be able to effectively moderate my substance use. I feel like I'm heading that direction, but it has been a really difficult two years. I've gotten to a point where I am getting in less trouble and being a little bit less reckless, but it's a really hard uphill trudge aka I keep fucking up momentarily.

But, all of the progress of my life seems to be developing in a positive direction. I am fairly optimistic. I have overcome a lot in my personal life recently, divorce, jail, rehabs, probation, homelessness, unemployment, etc. All sorts of shit. Well, overcome is the wrong word. Am overcoming. But while doing so, I have experienced the longest period of sobriety that I've ever had of six months.

And I've started a new relationship, that is very special and important to me. It started off rocky and we still have our shitty moments, but I am so happy to be able to use some of the lessons I've learned to develop a more healthy and loving partnership.

Things are very far from perfect, and I'm hurting in a lot of ways. But I've been able to moderate my use pretty well for months, with periodic slip ups. Even my recent heavy drinking wasn't too huge of a deal, but I felt it was starting to affect me negatively, so I decided to stop.

Speaking to what others have said about stigma against addicts using anything at all, it is true. My family has basically given me the cold shoulder at this point and taken to "loving" me from afar, aka "fuck you, figure it out your own damn self". It's honestly fucking bullshit and has strained my relationship with my family greatly.

So tl;dr, yes I believe it is possible for an addict to eventually have a healthy and sustainable relationship with drugs and alcohol. I feel like I am getting there myself, but it hasn't been easy.

Can I have a platonic relationship with my extremely hot co-worker? In theory, yes. In practice, not likely.

Im a poly-drug addict...

EXCEPT when I have heroin/full agonists.

Something about them keeps me satisfied enough that I feel like I don't need anything else, besides maybe thc.

Take away the heroin/full agonists & now I rely on partial agonists, benzos, anticonvulsants & stimulants to get by.

And if you take the partial agonist out of the equation, I'd be back to being a drunk and looking for dope in no time.

So yes, give me diacetylmorphine or an equally great full agonist and I could ditch pretty much every medication I take.

I can manage auxillary responsiblitiees but I am a mess, no. It is so hard to convey to other's. I did my first college class in winter for drug addiction study's and that didn't solve the behavioral patterns that consume my social life and anything else. After one thing loses gravitational obit tiddies and figurines end up being a front till you are getting blasted on a party pack of what the fuck. If it's not one thing, you move through motions and end up orbiting some other drug. Thanks mom for the junkie fortitude and shout out to my dad for my dick that like needs to move and get a single apartment.

Can I have a platonic relationship with my extremely hot co-worker? In theory, yes. In practice, not likely.
I've done that successfully several times.

I admit that it was occasionally frustrating. I didn't want to mess up the friendship but hormones do what hormones do.

Only when you eventually realise that most drugs are shite.
That's at least partly true. Most drugs are fun at first, but nearly always deliver diminishing returns (if not utter misery) in the long run.

Took me decades to figure this out. 🙄