• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Can true poly drug addict ever learn to moderate drug use?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Can true poly drug addict ever learn to moderate drug use?

Like just only stick to weed....or only use pills like randomly once a month or something.

Or will it always lead back to the same shit of daily addiction?

Recovery circles say it's impossible, I wish it wasn't true. I definitely don't chase drugs daily like I used to. Getting high is a one off thing thing that happens every several weeks now. I certainly want to get high everyday though...but even being 100% clean I'd likely wamt to get high still as people with decades of clean time still say they want to use

Tbh, idk most ppl go through cycles so it's impossible to determine but I think so yeah that at one time u have to Settle down.

Yea if you change the things that make you use in the first place I believe it’s possible. Not easy though and most people use because they feel for whatever reason they can’t change their circumstances in the first place.

-GC
There are certainly problems and negative things that make me use.

But even when life is going perfect...i still want to use.

Yea if you change the things that make you use in the first place I believe it’s possible. Not easy though and most people use because they feel for whatever reason they can’t change their circumstances in the first place.

-GC
Idk y ppl in AA/NA wanna wash ur Brain into thinking they're the absolute solution to addiction. not for me.

Idk y ppl in AA/NA wanna wash ur Brain into thinking they're the absolute solution to addiction. not for me.
I really don't know what the solution is but NA or AA seems to be the best I've found. Doesn't really seem to stick for me though but I can see it has worked for a lot of really fucked up ppl.

I dont think there is a solution for many though. This shit is permanent

How old are you?

In my 62yrs (over 50 of which involved substance abuse) I've had periods of sobriety (couple months to 3yrs) wherein AA/NA helped me a lot. I was severely alcoholic and a poly-drug abuser/addict for 4 decades.

I am now dependent on kratom, tobacco, and caffeine. I drink 2 to 5 beers and take a few puffs of cannabis every night. I dabble in opioid pills, cocaine, and methamphetamine now&then--- like maybe for 3 or 4 days three times a year. I am not experiencing any negative consequences from this level of use.
It was always drilled into me by 12-Step groups that this would be impossible. It definitely used to be, although I wonder if that mindset was self-fulfilling. I don't know why it's working for me and I'm not advocating for every addict/alcoholic to try it. I suspect that age has something to do with it for me.

Be careful and keep us posted.

How old are you?

In my 62yrs (over 50 of which involved substance abuse) I've had periods of sobriety (couple months to 3yrs) wherein AA/NA helped me a lot. I was severely alcoholic and a poly-drug abuser/addict for 4 decades.

I am now dependent on kratom, tobacco, and caffeine. I drink 2 to 5 beers and take a few puffs of cannabis every night. I dabble in opioid pills, cocaine, and methamphetamine now&then--- like maybe for 3 or 4 days three times a year. I am not experiencing any negative consequences from this level of use.
It was always drilled into me by 12-Step groups that this would be impossible. It definitely used to be, although I wonder if that mindset was self-fulfilling. I don't know why it's working for me and I'm not advocating for every addict/alcoholic to try it. I suspect that age has something to do with it for me.

I'm 40ish.

The only drug I abuse compulsively and daily when I'm using nowdays is weed. The harder stuff I get off on like twice a month. But I havnt used weed for several months and want to now.

I think age calms you down a bit and puts you within limits. 10 years ago it was all IV daily heavy habits of everything. Now it's just some legal script pills I'll slip up and pop a bunch trying to get off and it's usually not as good as I imagined.

I'm 40ish.

The only drug I abuse compulsively and daily when I'm using nowdays is weed....
It's been my experience and observation that, of all the psychoactive substances one can abuse, cannabis is probably the most benign. Not harmless, mind you, but the least detrimental.

It's been my experience and observation that, of all the psychoactive substances one can abuse, cannabis is probably the most benign. Not harmless, mind you, but the least detrimental.it
Weed being the most benign is what makes it so addictive and easy to abuse. Not many consequences or financial cost from heavy abuse.

I rarely even smoke it anymore because my lungs have had enough trauma from smoking various drugs. I'll stick to edible although I prefer the high of smoking or vaping.

The thing I hate about weed is it messes with how the brain perceives pain and makes me feel physical pain more.

What's the point to do that?If you had problems with drugs,why to take this risk?For me answer is No.When you quit something better quitting forever.I have quit so many times....and fall in this trap again and again.AA or AN are good.Personally for me the greatest were always the hardest christian community centers,where all is forbidden-TV,music,cigarettes.Working hard all day and pray.You battle on two fronts-with your addictions and with them,which are trying to brainwashing you,working hard physicall job free and you constant under pressure.My longest remission from five years sobriety was after only six months in such place.They say-"Don't worry only first one hundred years are difficult,then became a little more difficult.The price for freedome came after big prolonged battle and suffering.Thats for me.

How old are you?

This is a prime example of what often happens to people who are with a SUD (substance use disorder as defined in the diagnostic service manual for psychiatry) or an addiction.

Half of people who qualify for an SUD in their 20s no longer do by age 35. This doesn't mean that half of twenty something "addicts" stopped using by then. It just means that they no longer hit the number of ticks on a list required to garner that diagnoses.

There is also a study done in Vancouver which has shown that out of a group of around 1500 or so "addicts", the 250 who were either made to or otherwise went to treatment fared no better than their counterparts who did not go to treatment. You are no more likely statistically to stay sober in the long term (as in 100% clean) if you go to rehab or treatment otherwise than someone who does not go. Those numbers speak only to 100% sobriety though.

As soon as you start looking at things through the scope of harm reduction, to introduce that ladder where every step toward using less and / or using in a less harmful way is a victory that you should be proud of.

Here in Canada, in Vancouver this could be something like accessing a safer supply agency and using pharmaceutical grade heroin instead of street fentanyl. Maybe that's not getting "clean" by the standards these studies are most often setting the tone by having 100% long term abstinence as the protocol to follow in study..

Then there are things you can do in your life otherwise to improve things like accessing social supports and medical resources to take better care of your overall health. Treatment and counseling to a better mental and physical health in ways that aren't directed specifically toward your addiction(s).

Then consequentially, there's this expected recovery that always gets put on the line with abstinence-only programming. A getting "clean" mentality. There's a widespread stigmata to define us dirty "addicts" as needing to be cleansed, or "detoxed" entirely from these substances we've become addicted to.

Stigmas which are so predominant in the world now as being the standard to achieve and live by.. anything less than achieving absolution in a complete purity is not good enough for society. People will leave you alone to rot in your wasted life as "loving you from a distance" if you can't achieve this perfection. A clean date, and often times to fjnd your "higher power" in 12 step programming.

To be a story to overcoming rock bottoms as expected by society so you can be exemplified as another example (no pun intended) to achieving this much greater life you'll in find in sobriety now - your life is defined completely and only as whether you are sober, or not. The second you are given the stigmata regarded to being an "addict" - this is often what happens. This is what society has been taught.

Even Jesus Christ wasn't able to in his own stigmata to overcome what his society called him Ill for. That's why was he put to death, and left to rot as stigmatized as he was.

The point is, take steps to achieve what you need to become in your own life and for those you choose to live for. If you so choose to live that way. What you do in your life, and what constitutes 'good and bad' for you in your own view?

That is what's important to finding your place here in this world. So personally as to be content with your own place here in this world, and to be proud of yourself for who you are and to be happy with the direction you're going. Nobody ever said you can't possibly find yourself, or be good to others, or do / be anything and the only path truly is you have to get sober. In the context that all people who are there are sober, and that's the be all end all.

Anyone who has told you that had better have had some good heart and mind for you in your life specifically, because that's bold statement and for the vast majority (all) in their lives - total bullshit. Maybe that would help you a lot in fixing your circumstance presently going forward, but that will never fix the past and it doesn't make you any better or worse of a person In your heart and mind.

Do what you need to do to make a better life for yourself, if you can. Find others who can help you along the way. It's so important to have good people in your life. That's what I think and that's what is proven to be what actually makes people happy. It's relationships in your family, friends, partners, and communities. And it's achieving goals with intrinsic values like doing something for the good of the people, places, and things around you. Ever volunteered? It feels good, really!

This is a prime example of what often happens to people who are with a SUD (substance use disorder as defined in the diagnostic service manual for psychiatry) or an addiction.

Half of people who qualify for an SUD in their 20s no longer do by age 35. This doesn't mean that half of twenty something "addicts" stopped using by then. It just means that they no longer hit the number of ticks on a list required to garner that diagnoses.

There is also a study done in Vancouver which has shown that out of a group of around 1500 or so "addicts", the 250 who were either made to or otherwise went to treatment fared no better than their counterparts who did not go to treatment. You are no more likely statistically to stay sober in the long term (as in 100% clean) if you go to rehab or treatment otherwise than someone who does not go. Those numbers speak only to 100% sobriety though.

As soon as you start looking at things through the scope of harm reduction, to introduce that ladder where every step toward using less and / or using in a less harmful way is a victory that you should be proud of.

Here in Canada, in Vancouver this could be something like accessing a safer supply agency and using pharmaceutical grade heroin instead of street fentanyl. Maybe that's not getting "clean" by the standards these studies are most often setting the tone by having 100% long term abstinence as the protocol to follow in study..

Then there are things you can do in your life otherwise to improve things like accessing social supports and medical resources to take better care of your overall health. Treatment and counseling to a better mental and physical health in ways that aren't directed specifically toward your addiction(s).

Then consequentially, there's this expected recovery that always gets put on the line with abstinence-only programming. A getting "clean" mentality. There's a widespread stigmata to define us dirty "addicts" as needing to be cleansed, or "detoxed" entirely from these substances we've become addicted to.

Stigmas which are so predominant in the world now as being the standard to achieve and live by.. anything less than achieving absolution in a complete purity is not good enough for society. People will leave you alone to rot in your wasted life as "loving you from a distance" if you can't achieve this perfection. A clean date, and often times to fjnd your "higher power" in 12 step programming.

To be a story to overcoming rock bottoms as expected by society so you can be exemplified as another example (no pun intended) to achieving this much greater life you'll in find in sobriety now - your life is defined completely and only as whether you are sober, or not. The second you are given the stigmata regarded to being an "addict" - this is often what happens. This is what society has been taught.

Even Jesus Christ wasn't able to in his own stigmata to overcome what his society called him Ill for. That's why was he put to death, and left to rot as stigmatized as he was.

The point is, take steps to achieve what you need to become in your own life and for those you choose to live for. If you so choose to live that way. What you do in your life, and what constitutes 'good and bad' for you in your own view?

That is what's important to finding your place here in this world. So personally as to be content with your own place here in this world, and to be proud of yourself for who you are and to be happy with the direction you're going. Nobody ever said you can't possibly find yourself, or be good to others, or do / be anything and the only path truly is you have to get sober. In the context that all people who are there are sober, and that's the be all end all.

Anyone who has told you that had better have had some good heart and mind for you in your life specifically, because that's bold statement and for the vast majority (all) in their lives - total bullshit. Maybe that would help you a lot in fixing your circumstance presently going forward, but that will never fix the past and it doesn't make you any better or worse of a person In your heart and mind.

Do what you need to do to make a better life for yourself, if you can. Find others who can help you along the way. It's so important to have good people in your life. That's what I think and that's what is proven to be what actually makes people happy. It's relationships in your family, friends, partners, and communities. And it's achieving goals with intrinsic values like doing something for the good of the people, places, and things around you. Ever volunteered? It feels good, really!
I appreciate your many insights but to one point in disagree with, I don't think the minimization of being "clean" is quite as minimal as what you make it out to be.

It's very different than using even just weed in an addictive fashion.

I do like how you pointed that self.actualizarion and fulfillment is possible while not being totally "clean"....this is one thing I wondered about and something of course 12 step.programs teach is unreachable unless 100 percent clean. But I truly wonder if ppl sometimes don't get clean and tone down their addiction to just weed (or whatever) and can still grow as people and be happy.

...the latter (learning to balance addiction) is a path that is unmarked, there is no group to lead you through like sobriety and is fraught with pitfalls, although i don't doubt some have made it through

Recovery circles say it's impossible
12 step.programs teach [that self actualization/fulfillment] is unreachable unless 100 percent clean.

"Impossible", "unreachable"...if those things were actually true than I would be unable to point to even a single person who managed to accomplish this (i.e., using psychoactive drugs in a sustainable, non-self destructive fashion after having endured some kind of problematic relationship with drugs/drug addiction in their past).

But of course it isn't true. I've known multiple people in my personal life who've managed to incorporate some kind of recreational drug usage into their lives after having gone "off the deep end" in the past. A lot of times people simply age out of crazed reckless drug addict-y behavior, as has been alluded to in this thread.

I understand why those programs say that, though...a lot of times I feel like those programs work best for people who appreciate "structure". It's a very structured approach: it's a list of 12 simple steps that you proceed through. So, with that in mind, saying that total abstinence is the one and only method for success and portraying the situation as "black and white" like that is perhaps more effective than portraying addiction and sobriety in shades of gray.

"Impossible", "unreachable"...if those things were actually true than I would be unable to point to even a single person who managed to accomplish this (i.e., using psychoactive drugs in a sustainable, non-self destructive fashion after having endured some kind of problematic relationship with drugs/drug addiction in their past).
To.go off.on a tangent...I feel like that only applies to psyhcs for most ppl (even some like myself can't respect those).

I don't see many other healthy relationships with other drugs outside of medical use. Sustainable or doable yes, ultimately healthy? No I feel like

Whether or not drug use is "healthy" is a separate issue I think

There are many things we do in life that are either "not healthy" or even actively unhealthy, but we don't agonize over them mentally in the same way we do with drugs

Total abstinence doesn't mean a better life tbh, if you're living a good life chipping and just using sporadically I think we can live ok. I'll die an addict and I have accepted that fact so I don't torture myself with the idea of "why I can't be totally clean" anymore.

What's the point to do that?If you had problems with drugs,why to take this risk?For me answer is No.When you quit something better quitting forever.I have quit so manytimes....and fall in this trap again and again
I tend to agree..wish I could follow through with the action despite being a 12 step regular.

Probably need months of inpatient although my use is sporadic and not 100٪ dope junkie.

It's the only thing i can think of. Tat capitalism machines has me feeling guilt to take Timr to fix myself like that