• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can my pain management doc talk to my pcp without permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valiumalleyoop

Greenlighter
Can my pain management doc talk to my pcp without permission?
I was given xanax by a PCP and he knew I take percocet from my Pain Management doctor by the Rx state monitoring database. Im worried he may call my pain doc and that i may lose percocet. Note that I have never abused and use both for legit purposes. Can he legally contact him or vice versa without my consent? Does Hippa permit this? I would think all they could do is contact or send medical records if i signed something?

There really is no need for a doctor to call when they can see what prescriptions you are getting via the database. Being in pain management, there are forms that they have you sign when they take you on as a patient explaining the requirements and policies on information sharing. This would fall under "read the fine print" so if you are unsure, ask your provider.

Regardless of the fact that you are using your meds responsibly, if he is uncomfortable with you combining them then he will let you know. Nowadays, many doctors are under pressure due to stricter guidelines because patients overdosing from opiates and benzos. I'm closing this because we can't address prescribing legalities. Just talk with your doctor and discuss your options. Wish you luck dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.