• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I use hydrocodone for anxiety?

Welcome27

Greenlighter
Hi, I get bad anxiety when I have to do 5+ minute presentations for school, and am wondering if taking hydrocodone will help. I have tons of 5/325 pills not exactly sure the numbers since they aren't mine, but they've been in the cabinet for a long time. So if I take them an hour before class or so will my anxiety go down and my presentation skills be good? I've never taken hydrocodone before, obviously I'll try them before the presentations but if anyone knows and can answer that would be very helpful. if it helps how many should I take? and also they expired like 9 months ago but I don't think that really matters.

You could, but I don't think it is beneficial to take a pill to overcome being uncomfortable, considering you probably will want to do it again in the future. If you want to do this though I would try them once before the presentation (like days before) and take 2 of the pills, then on the day of your presentation take 2. Hydrocodone are somewhat sedating, but they likely will give you confidence. I think you would be better off walking through the fear though, everyone gets nervous for public speaking but every time you do it you get better at it.

Best of luck

Thanks for replying. Yes, I know I will have to try to get better at it, I will probably start therapy soon after high school to try to overcome my social anxiety disorder, it's so bad during presentations, for the meantime I just want something that will help me. So is it the confidence that helps or the sedation? I don't want to get up there and be out of it.

Some people are really sensitive to opioids. Since you've never taken them before, I'd start with one. It should kick in within half an hour. If you feel like you need more, you could take another. You just don't want to get nauseous, get up there, still be nervous, and have to puke, which is entirely possible. Start low, go from there.

It should calm you down, yes. This isn't an optimal medication for anxiety, but it should do in a pinch.

I hope you don't love the feeling from them. Starting an opiate addiction, especially at your age, is really bad news. It's a bad road to go down, trust me. Don't continue to use Vicodin as a crutch.

The healtiest option would be to see a doctor about your anxiety, he/she may prescribe an anti-anxiety medication or an atidepressant, which are also effective at reducing anxiety. You don't even have to see a therapist - my regular doctor has been prescribing me Lexapro and Buspar for years. But, if you do go aheax with your plan as you descibed, I would recommend Xanax over hydrocodone. Just IMHO! Good luck to you!

it might, but its overkill and not effective for longterm use cause then you'll just get hooked and the wd's will 100% give you panic attacks and intensify your anxiety to dangerous extremes

It may help but as others have said, it's best to talk about your anxiety with a psych doctor or therapist. The trouble with hydrocodone is you might start liking them too much and end up taking them frequently. Opiates can be habit-forming and you don't want to wind up dependent on them. Plus it's not cool to take someone else's medication.

Thanks for replying. Yes, I know I will have to try to get better at it, I will probably start therapy soon after high school to try to overcome my social anxiety disorder, it's so bad during presentations, for the meantime I just want something that will help me. So is it the confidence that helps or the sedation? I don't want to get up there and be out of it.

thing with anxiety is that you needd to approach it aggressively. taking a painkiller is submission. i got a tip that might help...remember that no human being is above you because at the end of the day, we all wipe our own ass. even donald trump folds up a piece of toilet paper and wipes his own ass. dont mean to be gross but thats what i think when i get social anxietys :\. when you do your presentations remember that your in control. your the boss for that time.