• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I use alcohol to get through pregabalin/Lyrica withdrawal

CarolinaStrong

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I’m new here I’ve been using Bluelight for the past few years though. I’m 23. So without getting too much into my history, but I will divulge some key facts. I was put in foster care at 8 years old. My single mother was a heroin addict who died of an overdose and none of my other “family” was willing to take me in. I spent 3 years in foster care before being adopted. It was a miracle I got adopted when I did because I was starting to fall in with quite the wrong crowd after some terrible things happened to me. But my adopted family saved me, they were the nicest, kindest people I’ve ever met.

They got me into therapy right away, and my life got better. I got better. The psychiatrist had me on a low dose of xanax, which seemed to be helping, and my life was good. Years past and my childhood traumas seemed to have been left in the past.. life was finally treating me right. Until it didn’t.

When I was 18, it was my senior year of high school with about a month left before I graduated. I was so thankful for my adoptive parents and they were so proud of me. I remember it like yesterday I had just gotten my graduation gown and I showed it to my parents, they were thrilled. They told me they were leaving for dinner and they would be back later, it was a normal thing. Well they never came back. They died a drunk driver hit them head on and if they didn’t die instantly on impact there car burst into flames. It was the worst day of my life. My entire world crumbled just like it did when I was 8 years old.

Sorry I’m trying to not write a book I just have a lot to talk about. I went back to my therapist I had seen years before, I was a mess I was crying 20-30 times a day, randomly I would just burst into tears and fall to my knees and I really felt I didn’t want to be here anymore

He instantly put me back on Xanax, but this time instead of .5 mg twice a day, he put me on 2 mg twice a day. It helped but it didn’t help enough. I was on a path destined for destruction. I cancelled the college I had accepted to go to, I sat at home in the house that was now apparently mine they had left me just about everything and I hated it I felt like I didn’t deserve any of it I didn’t want to live anymore.

I started abusing my Xanax, hanging out with sketchy people, drinking, having parties at my house. I was eating 3 Xanax bars a day and my script was running out so I buying now what I know to be pressed bars off the street. I was basically in a perpetual blackout all the time. One day one of my aunts tried to come and see me. I told her to get out of my house and I never wanted to see her again.

So fast forward, I got off Xanax, it was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. The detox and withdrawals were ungodly for me. I was in detox for 14 days in the monitored room, they didn’t believe a little 19 year old blonde girl could possibly have such a habit. Until I had a grand mal seizure and nearly died from hitting my head. It took me weeks to even be able to sleep right and months to not feel like my world was collapsing on my chest the anxiety and PAWS almost lead me to relapse.

But I got through it. And I promised myself I would never touch another benzodiazepine as long as I lived. Well I needed something else. I felt I couldn’t live sober anymore, fresh out of rehab. I found in the cabinet of my deceased mothers belongings a prescription of Oxy, and I liked it, but then I found Lyrica, and I fell in love. I took a few and just felt drunk and giggly and all the anxiety was gone for me and I could breathe.

I got in contact with an old friend / drug dealer (I had told everyone I went to rehab) who told me he could get me anything I needed. So I called him and asked, and he said literally anything. So I said how about Lyrica? And he said I have the real thing, pregabalin already at my house. And you can see where this is going, it went south fast.

I started by getting 10 grams a week and that was enough he made them into capsules for me at that point. Long story short it’s been nearly 2 years that I’ve been taking 10 grams of Lyrica a day. The pandemic hit and I just caved and my tolerance just climbed and… my world collapsed on my head again.

So for my question, am I at higher risk if I cold turkey off of lyrica of seizures? Can I use alcohol to get through this? I will never touch another benzo I promised myself that much. I’m terrified of withdrawals I can’t go through what I did last time and I need to get off of this crap I’m a shell of my former self. I can’t help but think my parents are looking at me from up above just distraught at what I have become. I’m a failure.

10 grams of Lyrica a day
Sorry but no. Alcohol will not be sufficient.
IMO, this will require a medical environment.
Welcome to bluelight and my hopes are that you get through this with minimal issues.
Thanks for posting. How much pregabalin (lyrica) is available?

Sorry but no. Alcohol will not be sufficient.
IMO, this will require a medical environment.
Welcome to bluelight and my hopes are that you get through this with minimal issues.
Thanks for posting. How much pregabalin (lyrica) is available?

I still have a lot I just don’t wanna take it anymore it’s causing serious side effects :(

still have a lot
One could start tapering now and avoid a lot of future issues. Just my take. If ya already tired of the substance it will make it a lot easier, IME.
I am a native SC boy. Are you in N or S? Or neither? lol Just asking cause of the chosen user name. ;)

One could start tapering now and avoid a lot of future issues. Just my take. If ya already tired of the substance it will make it a lot easier, IME.
I am a native SC boy. Are you in N or S? Or neither? lol Just asking cause of the chosen user name. ;)

North, hi neighbor :LOL:

I’m from Raleigh

A taper would probably be best I almost hate the stuff enough to just flush it all I’m just afraid I’d die of a seizure

Hi all,

I’m new here I’ve been using Bluelight for the past few years though. I’m 23. So without getting too much into my history, but I will divulge some key facts. I was put in foster care at 8 years old. My single mother was a heroin addict who died of an overdose and none of my other “family” was willing to take me in. I spent 3 years in foster care before being adopted. It was a miracle I got adopted when I did because I was starting to fall in with quite the wrong crowd after some terrible things happened to me. But my adopted family saved me, they were the nicest, kindest people I’ve ever met.

They got me into therapy right away, and my life got better. I got better. The psychiatrist had me on a low dose of xanax, which seemed to be helping, and my life was good. Years past and my childhood traumas seemed to have been left in the past.. life was finally treating me right. Until it didn’t.

When I was 18, it was my senior year of high school with about a month left before I graduated. I was so thankful for my adoptive parents and they were so proud of me. I remember it like yesterday I had just gotten my graduation gown and I showed it to my parents, they were thrilled. They told me they were leaving for dinner and they would be back later, it was a normal thing. Well they never came back. They died a drunk driver hit them head on and if they didn’t die instantly on impact there car burst into flames. It was the worst day of my life. My entire world crumbled just like it did when I was 8 years old.

Sorry I’m trying to not write a book I just have a lot to talk about. I went back to my therapist I had seen years before, I was a mess I was crying 20-30 times a day, randomly I would just burst into tears and fall to my knees and I really felt I didn’t want to be here anymore

He instantly put me back on Xanax, but this time instead of .5 mg twice a day, he put me on 2 mg twice a day. It helped but it didn’t help enough. I was on a path destined for destruction. I cancelled the college I had accepted to go to, I sat at home in the house that was now apparently mine they had left me just about everything and I hated it I felt like I didn’t deserve any of it I didn’t want to live anymore.

I started abusing my Xanax, hanging out with sketchy people, drinking, having parties at my house. I was eating 3 Xanax bars a day and my script was running out so I buying now what I know to be pressed bars off the street. I was basically in a perpetual blackout all the time. One day one of my aunts tried to come and see me. I told her to get out of my house and I never wanted to see her again.

So fast forward, I got off Xanax, it was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. The detox and withdrawals were ungodly for me. I was in detox for 14 days in the monitored room, they didn’t believe a little 19 year old blonde girl could possibly have such a habit. Until I had a grand mal seizure and nearly died from hitting my head. It took me weeks to even be able to sleep right and months to not feel like my world was collapsing on my chest the anxiety and PAWS almost lead me to relapse.

But I got through it. And I promised myself I would never touch another benzodiazepine as long as I lived. Well I needed something else. I felt I couldn’t live sober anymore, fresh out of rehab. I found in the cabinet of my deceased mothers belongings a prescription of Oxy, and I liked it, but then I found Lyrica, and I fell in love. I took a few and just felt drunk and giggly and all the anxiety was gone for me and I could breathe.

I got in contact with an old friend / drug dealer (I had told everyone I went to rehab) who told me he could get me anything I needed. So I called him and asked, and he said literally anything. So I said how about Lyrica? And he said I have the real thing, pregabalin already at my house. And you can see where this is going, it went south fast.

I started by getting 10 grams a week and that was enough he made them into capsules for me at that point. Long story short it’s been nearly 2 years that I’ve been taking 10 grams of Lyrica a day. The pandemic hit and I just caved and my tolerance just climbed and… my world collapsed on my head again.

So for my question, am I at higher risk if I cold turkey off of lyrica of seizures? Can I use alcohol to get through this? I will never touch another benzo I promised myself that much. I’m terrified of withdrawals I can’t go through what I did last time and I need to get off of this crap I’m a shell of my former self. I can’t help but think my parents are looking at me from up above just distraught at what I have become. I’m a failure.

Do not use alcohol.

Worse case scenario you should get some phenibut and taper down.

But what you should do is see a doctor.

Just to be clear you've been taking powder pregabalin that someone is putting into capsules for you?

How do you know it is 10 grams? That is a huge amount of pregabalin

***looks like i didn't read that thoroughly, i assumed it was a supply issue. If you still have access to the pregabalin then of course taper off. Still i have trouble processing the 10g/day dose here.

I'm so sorry to read that all of that happened.

You're not a failure by any means, you're actually very strong to have gotten through all of that in one piece.

I would avoid alcohol for these purposes. Your best course of action would be to taper your pregabalin doses down slowly over a period of time. I know you might not enjoy some of the side effects, but I'm telling you, trying to get off of it completely cold turkey, or with a poor substitute like alcohol, will be completely miserable. You will yearn for those bad side effects you're trying to get away from.

Other options could possibly be to use phenibut, f-phenibut, Baclofen, or gabapentin. All of those would work better than alcohol, as they are all actually Gabapentinoids like pregabalin.

I wish you all of the best, and if you need any help with anything, or someone to talk to, feel free to hit me up.

Do not use alcohol.

Worse case scenario you should get some phenibut and taper down.

But what you should do is see a doctor.

Just to be clear you've been taking powder pregabalin that someone is putting into capsules for you?

How do you know it is 10 grams? That is a huge amount of pregabalin

***looks like i didn't read that thoroughly, i assumed it was a supply issue. If you still have access to the pregabalin then of course taper off. Still i have trouble processing the 10g/day dose here.

I know it’s a huge dose. It’s terrible I have no idea how it got that high but it did. My dealer said it’s over 90% pure. It comes in the mail I think.

I used to weigh out my doses, now I just scoop it with a 1/2 tablespoon scooper. To be honest I have no accurate way of knowing what I’m dosing. But it’s a lot. 100 grams used to last me 3 months now it lasts be 10-12 days. I usually have to get more every 2 weeks.

The side effect I’m talking about besides all the other ones, is glaucoma. I haven’t been able to see a eye doctor because my insurance doesn’t cover it but I’m having vision changes. I’m hoping it’s not permanent but I can’t afford to go see a doctor.

That’s why I can’t taper and need to flush it all

I'm so sorry to read that all of that happened.

You're not a failure by any means, you're actually very strong to have gotten through all of that in one piece.

I would avoid alcohol for these purposes. Your best course of action would be to taper your pregabalin doses down slowly over a period of time. I know you might not enjoy some of the side effects, but I'm telling you, trying to get off of it completely cold turkey, or with a poor substitute like alcohol, will be completely miserable. You will yearn for those bad side effects you're trying to get away from.

Other options could possibly be to use phenibut, f-phenibut, Baclofen, or gabapentin. All of those would work better than alcohol, as they are all actually Gabapentinoids like pregabalin.

I wish you all of the best, and if you need any help with anything, or someone to talk to, feel free to hit me up.

I do have some Gabapentin I think from my old psychiatrist. At least that’s a stepping stone down in the right direction. Thank you for your kind words I will keep that in mind

I feel really sorry for you. At some perspective, I can tell you my story is pretty similar in the way that at 19y, I was already in rehab and taking massive amounts of meds to cover addiction and all we know.
Anyway. I as a pregabalin user (and lover) quite didn't believe someone could ingest that much of pregabalin a day, damn. I take 600mg/day and really really recomend this drug as I don't see much of psychological addiction and at the same time taking doses at 600-900mg at once is GREAT: anxiety free, trippy, very euphoric etc.
One thing me and the avarage users of PGB know is more than 1000mg it becomes less euphoric and more dissociative, aswell as it becomes useless and a waste as effects don't get better. Another rule is, and I think that's your problem, tolerance builds VERY fast after a single recreational dose, so you need as much as 2x the dose you took the day before to catch those effects. And this goes on and on. But this happens for the tolerance reset aswel, as 1 or 2 days can really reset most of it, wich is tottaly different than benzos. SO YOU SHOULD TAPER YOUR DOSE! Believe me, it's not that hard, I've done this several times and you only need to listen to your body, go down the road untill you feel the WD's and then take another dose, and keep out of desesperation.
You should really try to stay at a safer dosage per day, and save some pills to use when you want to catch a buzz. If you have a indefinitly suply, the chances are your willpower wont be able to resist then.
For curiosity, wich feelings are you really chasing from pregabalin?

I do have some Gabapentin I think from my old psychiatrist. At least that’s a stepping stone down in the right direction. Thank you for your kind words I will keep that in mind
THIS. Gabapentin acts like pregabalin as the two are gabapentinoids. Thing is, gabapentin is much weaker per dose and you should take the pills spaced out with a meal for maximum absorbtion. A simple search and you find a lot of information here on BL.

THIS. Gabapentin acts like pregabalin as the two are gabapentinoids. Thing is, gabapentin is much weaker per dose and you should take the pills spaced out with a meal for maximum absorbtion. A simple search and you find a lot of information here on BL.

Thanks, yeah I used to love pregabalin but I think my foolish want to get high and take more killed the drug for me. The tolerance did keep climbing and my eyes have been so blurry and painful lately. Today I haven’t taken any I’m gonna take 600 mg and that’s it. I’m really ready to go down and be ok again

Keep taking it, but reduce the dose significantly, do not drink while reducing, because alcohol multiplies the effects of Lyrica, and would complicate tapering. I recommend lowering by a half gram a week at first, and see how you feel in a month, because eventually you'll have to start weaning slower, but at the start, you should be able to lower faster

10g pregab unless you have access to a large amount of baclofen is a REALLY difficult hole to get out of. seizure is definitely a risk. I wish we werent in middle of COVID surge, but honestly you need to seek medical advice, probably inpatient detox for this one.

I would like to just chime in quickly and say firstly welcome to Bluelight @CarolinaStrong <3 I would DEFINITELY recommend some kind of inpatient medically-supervised detox for this. Is that going to be feasible at all??

If it's not feasible, you will absolutely need to taper off. The gabapentin will help, sure. But you absolutely should not go off this amount of pregabalin cold turkey. The risk of seizure is very real, not to mention how awful you'll feel from withdrawals. Would you feel comfortable talking to your doctor about this??

Hi all,

It would be devastating.Simple answer:NO