• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Can I take Venlafaxine if ...?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Folks.

I think some of you know that I'm addicted to tramadol (1000-2000 mg every day). Anyway, since December 13 I did not take anything. Just stop cold turkey.

Honestly, I haven't felt many withdrawal symptoms, except the damn depression and zero motivation that comes after quitting this drug (Am I screwed up my neurotransmitters that much?). And since they are both structurally similar, I was thinking of getting a prescription for Venlafaxine. I know another ex-Tramadol addict and he told me it works kinda well. I have used Venlafaxine during 2011-2013 and it worked perfect (best than Sertraline, Fluoxetine or Escitalopram), plus I quit it almost cold turkey and never felt those famous nasty Venlafaxine withdrawal symptoms.

But, my main question is: Is it safe to take Venlafaxine / Effexor after 1 week clean of Tramadol or should I wait longer? I know that Tramadol / ODSMT has a fairly long half-life. I don't want to suffer from a serotonin syndrome or worse but this depression is killing me.

I'd wait at least another week just to be safe and seek advice from a pharmacist as they would be knowledgeable on this topic, but combining both of those drugs can cause serotonin syndrome. I have some experience with Tramadol, and it's not a particularly euphoric drug.

I'd wait at least another week just to be safe and seek advice from a pharmacist as they would be knowledgeable on this topic, but combining both of those drugs can cause serotonin syndrome. I have some experience with Tramadol, and it's not a particularly euphoric drug.

Thanks for your advice pal. 👏

Although I do not agree with your final words hahaha. I found the tramadol tremendously euphoric. At least from weak opioids tramadol blows codeine ass. And what I liked the most is that first it gave you energy and happiness (serotonin) and about two hours later, you fell on the couch to end up nodding (o-desmethyltramadol I guess).

It's almost 1 month without tramadol, I think it would be fine to take an antidepressant now, right?

Are you sure you want to do this though? I mean the depression from opiates is to be expected once someone stops. You could be medicating yourself for something that you'd be through the woods with in a week or two.

Anti-depressants do help with the depression from opiate withdrawal. I just think that that kind of grief though is natural.

Are you sure you want to do this though? I mean the depression from opiates is to be expected once someone stops. You could be medicating yourself for something that you'd be through the woods with in a week or two.

Anti-depressants do help with the depression from opiate withdrawal. I just think that that kind of grief though is natural.

I understand your thinking but this depression is what makes me want to relapse. (exercise helps but I can't working out 24 hours haha) Although you're right, perhaps it's better to consult a doctor about it.

My advice is don't use Tramadol while on Venlafaxine. I accidentally gave myself a mild case of serotonin syndrome when I tried trama last month. Luckily, due to my career choice, I was able to put a quick stop to the symptoms, but it was not very nice.