• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can i stop temazapam cold turkey

bigbadrobin

Greenlighter
Hi I am currently on temazapam 30 mg at night for insomnia. my doctor prescribed me today 12.5mg of ambien cr/zolpidem cr. he didnt mention anything about whether i should wean of the temazapam or stop cold turkey. and whether I should do this while taking ambien aswell. Can I start weaning off the temazapam while taking the ambien, or can I stop cold turkey. What can I do. The main thing is I want to be able to take the ambien. Im also on clonazapam 1mg at night and suboxone for other illnesses. thankyou

How long have you been taking temazepam? I find doctors when dealing with chronic insomnia generally switch you to a Z-drug after you have been taking a benzo (like temazepam) for more than a week or two so you don't gain a dependence. If you have been taking temazepam for less than 2 weeks you probably wont even notice/very mild withdrawal symptoms.

Last edited:
Since you're already on another Benzo, Clonazepam, I don't think you'll notice any W/D.
Clonazepam is stronger than Temazepam IMO. Since they're both in the same class, Benzo's, as long as you're still on one of them you should be ok!

Hi. I've been taking temazapam for two years. I'm supposed to take two mg of clonazapam per day but I only take one mg at the moment. I will up it to two mg per day and come straight of the temazapam

Yeah do not stop it or any benzos suddenly or cold turkey. People have died, and had seizures this way.

IF you want to get off the drug talk to a doctor, or medical professional. Or if it is really bad go to a rehab/detox Centre run by medical professionals.

Hi I rung my doctor and he said I will be fine to stop it cold turkey. Do you guys agree with this. Will I get seizures

Fuck your doctor.

At least taper if you have enough to do so. Even a rapid taper can do more good than harm. Like 5mg every few days. If you notice rebound anxiety or other withdrawal effects from a taper, you can assume it'd be 10x worst going cold turkey.

Ok cheers. Can I take my ambien/zolpidem 12.5mg while tapering or can I not take both at the same time

I am prescribed 30mg per night (for a few years) and I stop taking it whenever I want without issues (besides insomnia). I haven't noticed a withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor. But I don't think taking both would be too dangerous. At worst it'll make you really tired and maybe black out.

The people who are saying F your doctor Etc. are wrong!

Like I said, if you're at least on another benzo you should be fine! Don't get off both at the same time, that's asking for big trouble. If you get off just 1 of them, you're NOT going to notice W/D.

Clonazepam is RX'd for BENZO W/D. Getting off Temazepam while still on Clonazepam wont give you a seizure, I guarantee you that. Stick to 1 of the Benzo's, don't get off both!!

if you're at least on another benzo you should be fine

I agree. You may feel a bit 'off' because clonazepam isn't going to being tickling all the same BZD subunits as temazepam, but you certainly won't be at risk of seizing.

If you were only taking 30mg of temazepam per night, then yes, you could easily stop cold turkey. I did. Don't know about other benzodiazepines thrown in the mix, though. Benzos have a tendency to be problematic.