• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Can I redose on Suboxone?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

Put on Suboxone for the first time. My doc started on what I believe is way too high of a dose, 8 mg, but I ended up taking all of it because I was afraid it wouldn't work otherwise. It knocked me out for about an hour. But now I'm really, really irritable at work. I don't know if it's from being off Oxy or because the Suboxone is wearing off or what. I want to see how I do with a 2mg dose because I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping in this state, especially after that nap. Can it work this close to my last dose? The last I took it was around 6pm, and it's 11 now.

If you aren't feeling any withdrawal symptoms I don't think I would redose the half life of suboxone is like 24-34 ish hours so if you got messed up on 8 mg around 5 hours ago I don't see any reason to take anymore now. Their should still be more than enough sub in you

You are most likely still adjusting to the Suboxone. It takes about 5 days to a week of regular dosing for you to stabilize on it. I doubt you're feeling the Suboxone wearing off as it has a very long half life (37+ hours) and most people only need to dose once or twice a day. Everyone is different though.

8mg isn't necessarily too high of a dose. My doctor started me on 12mg then bumped me up to 16mg. 2-4mg is usually enough to stop physical withdrawal, but some people may need more than that. It all depends on how you respond to the drug, and how much of what you were taking prior to getting on them. It is still a very strong opiod though, so try to stay on the lowest dose possible.

As far as redosing, the ceiling effect doesn't start until 16-32mg I believe, so it would still be effective if you took another 2mg a couple hours after your last dose. Just don't make a habit out of taking extra doses. If you just want to see how 2mg affects you vs. the 8mg, you're gonna wanna wait at least 12-24 hours after your last dose due to its long half life.

Edit: It might also help if you start taking 4mg twice a day instead of 8mg once a day, at least while your body is adjusting to the Suboxone, so you could always give that a try or talk to your doctor about it.

Last edited:
undertow13, the OP had a pretty light opiate habit before, so it shouldn't be an issue of stabilizing at all.

I would try to wait as close to 24 hours, but yeah, you technically probably could 'redose' after 12-16 hours and get a decent idea of how 2mg would effect you, as you don't have a build-up of bupe in your system.

undertow13, the OP had a pretty light opiate habit before, so it shouldn't be an issue of stabilizing at all.

I would try to wait as close to 24 hours, but yeah, you technically probably could 'redose' after 12-16 hours and get a decent idea of how 2mg would effect you, as you don't have a build-up of bupe in your system.

I just meant more along the lines of side effects from the bupe itself, not so much anything withdrawal related. Some people I know seemed to have similar issues as the OP with irritability or tiredness when starting bupe, but those side effects seemed to resolve within a few days of taking it. Not saying that's what is going on with OP of course, just speculating, but wanted to clarify what I meant.

I always split my dose up- 2mg in morning, 2mg at lunch and 2mg in the afternoon. Or sometimes twice a day. If I take it all in the morning, I'm too tired, and psychologically, I'll feel the need for more later.

Yea like ppl are saying taking the 2mg after taking that whole one your pretty much waisting it...subs last long im a recovering heroin addict ive been on subs 1and a half almost now. I started out only taking 2mgs a day and thats all i needed to not feel sick. But you gotta wait for that whole one to run its course then try the 2mgs when your starting too go into withdrawl again and see if it works for you. Irritability can come along with opiate use too it may be the fact that the 1 knocked you out got you high ya kno..that could be the cause of irritability. Could be the transition too took me some time to get regulated on subs after stopping heroin. Everybody whos said tho that you need to wait to take the 2mg dose tho is absolutly right.

Also taking 2mgs than maybye another 2 at night works good also i work early in the day so ill take 2mgs in the morning than sometimes ill take another 2 in the evening i dont get more of an effect when i take the second dose i just feel normal and no withdrawl...but as a couple others have posted they do the same ( a couple low doses a day) its a good way too go.it takes some getting use too but its a very helpful drug im getting r
Ready to ween off after a year and its the one thing that helped me stay sober out of anything and when u get regulated on it you will feel just normal..he did start u off on a high dose but they do that sometimes because if you are on a high dose and you get regulated on it (like a half whole one at once or more) it makes it harder to abuse the medication. For example if your use to takin 2mgs a day and thats it well lets say one day you decide u wanna get high you can take a half or whole one and prob. Get buzzed it takes will power for some to be on a low dose...it sure did for me lol. But yea thats why docs will do that but its better in my opion to be on a lower dose because its gonna be easier to ween of 2 or so mgs a day than it is to come off a whole one or more after youve been on them for a while