• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I get high on Suboxone while undergoing treatment on it? (Explanation below:)

Mayo_Tree

Bluelighter
I'm currently taking 12mg Suboxone sublingually per day.

What I'm wondering is..... A.) I don't know how much of it is actually absorbed under the tongue. B.) If less than the full 12mg is actually absorbed under the tongue, would it be possible to get high off it if I, say, sniff 4mg's at once?

I've used Suboxone to get high on before, but not while undergoing treatment on it, so I know I'd have to basically try it and wait a couple hours to see if there's any noticeable effect.

Anyone else have any light to shed on this, through personal experience? I looked quickly through the search, but there didn't seem to be anything related to this very specific question, so I pose it to the community.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

[EDIT: Sorry, maybe this should have been in a straight-up 'Opiate" forum, but only thought of that now. Tbh, I'm still having trouble actually finding the different forums to post in. Not sure what I'm doing wrong in that regard. ust to get to "Basic Drug Discussion" (for example), I have to go to one of my old posts and find BDD from there.]

Last edited:
Update: Just railed 4mg of Suboxone (at approx. 3:15pm -- about 40min ago now), and will wait to see if it has any effects (other than precipitated withdrawal) over the next couple hours.

My reasoning is that if my theory (corroborated by others online here and elsewhere) that intranasal bioavailability > sublingual bioavailability, then it may in fact give me an effect if I sniff it (even at a lower dose), even though I've been taking 12mg's regularly under the tongue for a few months.

See, in the program, they tell you that sublingual bioavailability is superior to any other ROA, but I've long had my doubts, both from online research as well as personal experience of using it recreationally on several occasions.

So, yesterday I took my 12mg sublingual as usual, but today I tried 4mg intranasal. Let's see if it does something.

What do you guys think? I figured I'd start with 4mg's just to be "safe," but maybe I should've done more? Like 6mg's? That'd be half my normal dose. All 12mg's insufflated? I dunno, I'm experimenting here to see what (if anything) works.

While the BA is higher snorted, it’s not 3x higher. To me snorted feels maybe 25% stronger. Sublingual works great so long as you have a drier mouth and don’t spit, eat or drink for an hour. Best to do before you even wake up, toss it in an hour before the alarm goes off.

I started off snorting my subs for 3-4yrs before I switched to sublingual. While I do miss it, it’s not worth the trouble.

-GC

While the BA is higher snorted, it’s not 3x higher. To me snorted feels maybe 25% stronger. Sublingual works great so long as you have a drier mouth and don’t spit, eat or drink for an hour. Best to do before you even wake up, toss it in an hour before the alarm goes off.

I started off snorting my subs for 3-4yrs before I switched to sublingual. While I do miss it, it’s not worth the trouble.

-GC
Thanks G, I appreciate your response.

So, would you think I'll feel it at all by doing 4mg's? Should I add some? Right now, it's been about an hour since my forst dose, and I don't really feel anything. Usually, if I were going to catch a buzz off it, I'd feel it starting to creep up about an hour in, and then get noticably stronger over the next 2hrs.

What do you think, should I rail another 4mg? or maybe just 2mg (considering the ceiling around 8mg)?

Or just forget it altogether and save it up? What would you do in my case?

Best to do before you even wake up, toss it in an hour before the alarm goes off.

-GC
Always worked best this way
was a little hassle, but when I woke up 90 mins before the alarm 3-4 mgs felt so much more like a full agonist opiate than trying to dose it any other time of the day

Always worked best this way
was a little hassle, but when I woke up 90 mins before the alarm 3-4 mgs felt so much more like a full agonist opiate than trying to dose it any other time of the day
Weird, I never got anything off it sublingually, no matter what method I try. Intranasally though (especially with a low tolerance), I've gotten pretty sucessfully high off it.

I would consider reframing whether this type of maintenance is doing anything for you if you're still trying to get high on opioids during it. I don't mean to discourage you at all, you should probably stay on maintenance if you've had a problematic relationship with opioids, but you should probably question your desire to get high right now.

And to your point, imo, snorting bupe was never worth the trouble. Especially if you're already on a steady dose.

To another thing you mentioned, I don't think you'd be able to put yourself into precipitated withdrawal with bupe while on bupe. Can't explain scientifically but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Hopefully some of that helps.

I would consider reframing whether this type of maintenance is doing anything for you if you're still trying to get high on opioids during it. I don't mean to discourage you at all, you should probably stay on maintenance if you've had a problematic relationship with opioids, but you should probably question your desire to get high right now.

And to your point, imo, snorting bupe was never worth the trouble. Especially if you're already on a steady dose.

To another thing you mentioned, I don't think you'd be able to put yourself into precipitated withdrawal with bupe while on bupe. Can't explain scientifically but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that.

Hopefully some of that helps.
Thanks deficiT, I appreciate your response (and your concern, but....). Nothing of what you said is invalid, obviously, and while I'm on maintenance yes, I'm also an addict still. I'm coming off opiates not because I want to, mind you, but because A.) it was costing me an arm and a leg (literally, I now only have one leg, and half a stump... don't ask me how I type!!... okay, poor taste, sorry), and B.) I was needing more due to tolerance.

On the program, they provide me with Subs for free. So, for the moment I'm taking them as directed, but at some point my plan is to taper off on my own terms, wait til my tolerance is sufficiently lowered, and then indulge every once in a while. Should things become problematic, at that point I'll have a steady reserve which I can use to taper down at my leisure. Since I won't be selling them or anything (I'm not a savage), I'll have them all to myself, as a back-up supply.

Now, I understand what you're saying, I do. Tonight was just my first time experimenting since I had a few left over. Well, it's my daily dose, but I was just curious as to if I could actually catch a buzz by insufflating like half my daily dose, since I'm never sure that exactly 12mg's is fully absorbed, sublingually. I didn't feel anything on it though, so that should tell me something.

I'm wondering if I should take more anyway though, because if my body's used to 12mg's, and I only took 4mg, perhaps the anxiety I'm enduring for the past 2hrs is related. Not an unthinkable possibility. Maybe I'll try another 4-6mg, and even if I feel nothing still, I got my daily dose (or therabouts).

Thanks again, and (to everyone) I'm dreadfully sorry for my sense of humor. I have this disease where all my own jokes are totally hilarious to me, but elicits winces from the audience. It almost ruined my career in comedy, but thankfully my 2 cats (my employers) can't speak English.

*ba-dum tssh!* Ha-cha-cha-cha-cha-chaaaa....

Thanks deficiT, I appreciate your response (and your concern, but....). Nothing of what you said is invalid, obviously, and while I'm on maintenance yes, I'm also an addict still. I'm coming off opiates not because I want to, mind you, but because A.) it was costing me an arm and a leg (literally, I now only have one leg, and half a stump... don't ask me how I type!!... okay, poor taste, sorry), and B.) I was needing more due to tolerance.

On the program, they provide me with Subs for free. So, for the moment I'm taking them as directed, but at some point my plan is to taper off on my own terms, wait til my tolerance is sufficiently lowered, and then indulge every once in a while. Should things become problematic, at that point I'll have a steady reserve which I can use to taper down at my leisure. Since I won't be selling them or anything (I'm not a savage), I'll have them all to myself, as a back-up supply.

Now, I understand what you're saying, I do. Tonight was just my first time experimenting since I had a few left over. Well, it's my daily dose, but I was just curious as to if I could actually catch a buzz by insufflating like half my daily dose, since I'm never sure that exactly 12mg's is fully absorbed, sublingually. I didn't feel anything on it though, so that should tell me something.

I'm wondering if I should take more anyway though, because if my body's used to 12mg's, and I only took 4mg, perhaps the anxiety I'm enduring for the past 2hrs is related. Not an unthinkable possibility. Maybe I'll try another 4-6mg, and even if I feel nothing still, I got my daily dose (or therabouts).

Thanks again, and (to everyone) I'm dreadfully sorry for my sense of humor. I have this disease where all my own jokes are totally hilarious to me, but elicits winces from the audience. It almost ruined my career in comedy, but thankfully my 2 cats (my employers) can't speak English.

*ba-dum tssh!* Ha-cha-cha-cha-cha-chaaaa....
That's understandable, sorry to hear about your limbs, that really, really sucks.

And I'm definitely not judging either, just giving you the usual HR spiel. I'm trying to get off of opioids at the moment too. And am in that period where I just have a backup reserve that I'm dipping into. I'm down to taking like 2mg if I feel really shitty, but only once every few days. Or I'll have a drink of kratom if I'm hurting too bad.

It's not an easy process. Hopefully Bluelight can be a supportive place for you to express yourself through what you have going on. We're all a little fucked up here so no need to apologize for a little self indulgent humor lmao.

That's understandable, sorry to hear about your limbs, that really, really sucks.

And I'm definitely not judging either, just giving you the usual HR spiel. I'm trying to get off of opioids at the moment too. And am in that period where I just have a backup reserve that I'm dipping into. I'm down to taking like 2mg if I feel really shitty, but only once every few days. Or I'll have a drink of kratom if I'm hurting too bad.

It's not an easy process. Hopefully Bluelight can be a supportive place for you to express yourself through what you have going on. We're all a little fucked up here so no need to apologize for a little self indulgent humor lmao.
Haha! Much appreciated, thank you, and everyone at BL for being such gracious hosts. ;)

Yeah, I hear what you're saying for sure. Sometimes maintaining a straight-line between safety-culture and addiction is not an easy tight-rope walk to pull off.

So finally tonight I railed another 6mg's (leaving me 2mg's for the reserve) sort of as a test, but also because I was having anxiety for a few hours and wasn't sure if it could be withdrawal-related. Like, if my body's used to getting 12mg's, and I only gave it 4mg, maybe it's manifesting that way, I dunno. My anxiety has leveled out a bit since taking it, although I'm not sure if it was even that. Could be too much sugar (I eat too many cookies, bleh..), and/or the speed I'm taking (which is rather hit-or-miss.... while it can exacerbate my anxiety, it doesn't always do so, and so I'm left wondering, ya know?).

Ah well, the life of a drug addict is far from easy too, despite whatever some may say or think! Like, I'm a bit nauseous at the moment, so is that the Suboxone half-ass working (even though that's all I feel from it)? Or, again... too many cookies? lol. Without the itchy nods, it's difficult to tell.

I'm also waiting for my dealer to show up (he forgot about me, but swore he'd swing by, even if quite late) with these mystery capsules he's been selling as MDMA. I don't know what they are, but they're good as a sedative, the buzz is nice, although it's quite short. I'm really interested to know what they are, as they can keep me from always reaching for my benzos if things get too tweaky. I told him he should get them tested, and he let me know he "wasn't interested in all that," which basically meant he didn't want to go through the hassle of finding and ordering some reagent test-kits.

Finally, he settled on "If you get me a test-kit, I'll reimburse you," lol. Better than nothing. As I said, I'm also curious to know what I'm taking, and he should know what he's selling too, tbh. So, Lord willing, I'll see if I can find some somewhere, and look into how to go about getting them. (All new to me, really.)

Finally, he settled on "If you get me a test-kit, I'll reimburse you," lol. Better than nothing. As I said, I'm also curious to know what I'm taking, and he should know what he's selling too, tbh. So, Lord willing, I'll see if I can find some somewhere, and look into how to go about getting them. (All new to me, really.)
Yeah it's definitely best to know the substance before ingesting it. Sounds kind of odd as you describe it as sedating, I mean in my case I've found MDMA to be mildly sedating. Idk, we could speculate all day, wouldn't do us any good. But if you want a test kit I would look towards the organizations dancesafe or The Bunk Police. You can also get narcan from a place called nextdistro, which you should keep on you especially if you're ingesting mystery powders.

Yeah it's definitely best to know the substance before ingesting it. Sounds kind of odd as you describe it as sedating, I mean in my case I've found MDMA to be mildly sedating. Idk, we could speculate all day, wouldn't do us any good. But if you want a test kit I would look towards the organizations dancesafe or The Bunk Police. You can also get narcan from a place called nextdistro, which you should keep on you especially if you're ingesting mystery powders.
Ah yes, good advice, and thank you so much. As far as Narcan is concerned, that's no problem at all. I actually have some on hand right now. Where I live, they will give it to you at the pharmacy if you ask for it, so that's pretty good. Myself, I didn't even ask for it. Since I'm in a Suboxone program, they gave me a complimentary box of Narcan along with a bottle of laxatives lol.

Indeed, never can be too careful. Normally, I'd never (okay.... "rarely") ever ingest a substance I didn't know the identity of, this was a total fluke. Only reason I did initially was because he seemed confident it was MDMA, and I had no reason to suspect otherwise. That is, until I took it the first time. Quickly settled on it NOT being MDMA, so it's a bit of a mystery. I know this gentleman well enough though to know that he doesn't have "bad merchandise," so to speak. So, whatever it is, it's something which has been making the rounds for a while, with both he and several of his friends (as well as respected clientele) having taken it and given positive feedback.

Thing is, none of them (with a few exceptions perhaps) are as "up" on their drugs as myself, or some of us here. So, many of them being told it was MDMA (just a "sedating variety") just assumed it was with no question.

This time when I took it tonight, it seemed to last a bit longer. I took it around 1:30am, it started to kick in around 2:30am, and I'm still "more or less" feeling it by 4:10am now. First time I took it, I insufflated it, 2 capsules over the course of 2 hours, and it seemed to last about 2 hours. I waited a couple days, then tried it again, this time ingesting one, and insufflating one, and it lasted about 3hrs start-to-finish. He told me tonight though that they usually wait a week in between dosing it again, and also said all the capsules are supposed to be of equal "weight" which he said was 100mg.

So, that's new information. Tonight, I just took it orally. I took a second capsule about 30min ago, we'll see if it puts it up a bit, or what will happen. Whatever it is, I'm confident that it is, in fact, a real drug. I'd swear it's not MDMA, but then again, I'm only going off what I've read online; the effects don't seem to match up. One never knows, I may actually like this better than MDMA, as I'm much more into "downers," and these definitely take the "edge" off. Certainly anxiolytic, no increased heart-rate (to the contrary, it seems to slow everything down). Nice, heady sort of buzz. Hard to describe, almost feels reminiscent of a dissociative like K, but not at the same time.

Will be a good idea to get a kit, although.... it won't stop me speculating until I get one! haha...

Mdma weekly from my experience and by definition deplete a lot of serotonin and I think dopamine before the afterlow, so when taken that often can explain the effect mentioned.
Also you mentioned speed, if amphetamine(dopaminergic activity, some serotonin maybe), that could be the case of depletion as well.

Maybe OP if you can try to take Mdma max 3x a year just a proposition. (like a New Year determination BS);-)
Around 2015. I did Mdma like weekly that summer and I got most intense brain zaps( just a moment before I was about to get asleep I would get electric shock from brain to toes).
So I spent time reading all about stuff I took or been taking since Bluelight being the first place!

As for Suboxone I tried couple times in the past and snorting felt lighter than sublingual or I had more of a side effects( headache...can't remember the other!), while buprenorphine alone (Subutex) works great intranasal in doses maybe 8mg max in my case 1mg now, max 3mg!
I feel the antidepressant effects (stimulation, slightly histamine elevated, cognition( better concentration, no racing thoughts, small analgesia)) and with MPH prescribed Concerta 72mg I don't have crashes.
But that can be because I already have anxiety levels high every second day, with or without Concerta due to mild benzo withdrawal and pregabalin tapering.

I noticed that when taking higher doses, when I'm without cannabis like 6mg I would get RLS and Insomnia and irritability but that could be because of lack of THC/CBD, fibromyalgia.
Also L-tyrosine, Zinc(dopamine depletion) and L-theanine(takes the edge when stimulated) helps as magnesium does.

Mdma weekly from my experience and by definition deplete a lot of serotonin and I think dopamine before the afterlow, so when taken that often can explain the effect mentioned.
Also you mentioned speed, if amphetamine(dopaminergic activity, some serotonin maybe), that could be the case of depletion as well.

Maybe OP if you can try to take Mdma max 3x a year just a proposition. (like a New Year determination BS);-)
Around 2015. I did Mdma like weekly that summer and I got most intense brain zaps( just a moment before I was about to get asleep I would get electric shock from brain to toes).
So I spent time reading all about stuff I took or been taking since Bluelight being the first place!

As for Suboxone I tried couple times in the past and snorting felt lighter than sublingual or I had more of a side effects( headache...can't remember the other!), while buprenorphine alone (Subutex) works great intranasal in doses maybe 8mg max in my case 1mg now, max 3mg!
I feel the antidepressant effects (stimulation, slightly histamine elevated, cognition( better concentration, no racing thoughts, small analgesia)) and with MPH prescribed Concerta 72mg I don't have crashes.
But that can be because I already have anxiety levels high every second day, with or without Concerta due to mild benzo withdrawal and pregabalin tapering.

I noticed that when taking higher doses, when I'm without cannabis like 6mg I would get RLS and Insomnia and irritability but that could be because of lack of THC/CBD, fibromyalgia.
Also L-tyrosine, Zinc(dopamine depletion) and L-theanine(takes the edge when stimulated) helps as magnesium does.
Hey thanks, I appreciate the input! :)

I'm interested in a few of those you mentioned at the end, especially L-theanine. We regularly take Magnesium supplements too, and Zinc. My wife keeps us up to date on that front, most of the time.

Myself, I can't handle much THC at all (triggers panic attacks). CBD is okay though, and for a while I was mixing low-THC with high-CBD for an effective treatment. Worked for a while, until I had a nervous breakdown. That's when I sort of relapsed hard, into DXM and then opiates from there. (But I digress...)

I used Suboxone recreationally a couple times, at brief intervals. Say 3-4weeks each time. Back then, I had enough to taper down from on my own, so I didn't need any programs. This time though, I got caught up in it without a safety-net. Had to enroll in a program, which was good. They're understanding, and I think they sort of know we might fail, but are there to see us back through at the proper time. So, I'm grateful for it.

Sure, I'll consider doing MDMA only 3x per year.... just as soon as I know whether or not I`m even taking MDMA, lol. I highly doubt it, as I`ve mentioned previously. What I`m taking isn`t what I`d call "stimulating" at all really. The effects are pretty enjoyable, although nothing "mindblowing" as I expect MDMA to be, from what I've heard. I can't even say as there's much about this substance I'm on now that could be termed "entheogenic" even.

If I knew even a bit more what I might be dealing with, I wouldn't be afraid to take multiple doses of this (so far as body-load, overall "feeling" is concerned). Like, I don't get the impression that I'm going to be "cracked out" or overstimulated (at all) if I were to take even 2 more capsules. Just a very pronounced "heady" sort of feeling. No real hallucinations to speak of, except for a bit of a shimmery glow that everything takes on, seemingly related to the pupil-dilation (which is VERY pronounced, haha).

Since you mentioned it, I'm also on Lyrica (which I'm abusing, they have me at such a low dose.... started me on 25mg, now I'm on 75mg at least, but I'm hoping they'll raise it to at least 300mg. I don't intend at all to take it daily, but as something to take once or twice a week, it can be helpful in my case. I take benzos too. Prescribed 15mg of Oxazepam daily, but I do try and only take half when I can. Lately, it's been fluctuating. Lots of stress to deal with, tbh.

Another reason why I like this "mystery capsule," as it helps me not reach for my benzos so quickly when the speed exacerbates my anxiety. Oh, crap... guess I mentioned that, sorry for the repetition. Anyways though, if it can be something I can use on the side, even once in a while, it'll help. I'm really doing my best to find out all I can about what it could be, even before getting a kit. I'm not sure it's a cathinone, or methylone, it doesn't seem as stimulating as descriptions of that make it out to be. Doesn't sound like PMA (thank God) or N-ethylpentylone to me.

I figure if I can rule out as many possibilities as I can, it's only a "simple" (lol) process of elimination. Naive of me, perhaps. Looking into sites for reagent test kits, I thought it'd be more simple than that, but I'm probably just not used to the process.

Anyhow, thank you for your patience in reading this far, if you have. Apologies for the post-length. Thank you (all) for your response(s).