• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

can homosexuality be a choice?

and to pander to ebola's train of usual thought, the assertion of choice here assumes that choice in the philosophical scheme of things exists in the first place as opposed to simply causal reactions as per our predispositional directions.

Relatedly, though, causally affecting one's desire sans direct intention to do so stands distinct from intentionally choosing what one will desire. I'm splitting the hell out of some hairs though. :p

ebola

i dont think its a choice...why would people choose to take a road that may make it harder on them (depending on there support systems) ...in the younger generations i think some may be choice or maybe curiosity is a better word but it never lasts. But the truely gay people have been like that since day one - the way you grew up always thinking the opposite sex was attractive they did thinking the same sex was....ive known kids that ever since they were toddlers you could already tell and now that they are older they are openly gay....and im sure at 4 years old they didnt already make the choice.

I have a few things to point out here:

First off, for the people saying that some woman or some guy suddenly decided to be attracted to the same sex one day are a bit short-sighted. The likely cause of that in those types of situations are years of repressed sexual urges/feelings. Maybe they grew up with a strong religious or conservative background. One where homosexuality was openly discouraged.

If homosexuality were truly a choice, then why would hundreds and thousands of teens AND adults make their lives miserable by being the target of bullying or discrimination based solely on their sexuality?

Homosexuality occurs in nature amongst animals other than ourselves (as ninja pointed out).

Just because you are a guy who has sex with a guy doesn't necessarily make you a homosexual. Same going to for females. You could be bi-curious, or maybe a little experimental.

Modern society has become so hung up on these labels that it really misrepresents human sexuality. It should really be viewed as a large spectrum, with many possibilities in between. Homo/heterosexuality are conceptual creations and social fabrications of the past 1000 years. Plenty of cultures before ours had multiple genders and orientations...

Whatever engenders people and influences their sexuality is a mixture of many things going on in your body AND society.

P.S: Athenian men had an affinity for young boys not necessarily because of genetic traits, but because of how socialization took place. Look up "pederasty".

THANKYOUUU.

its not a choice.
its a choice to be bi-curious,
its a choice to experement.

the sad thing is that ive had to stay in the closet the past few years,
because when i came out as bi,
i was attacked like crazy, it was the worse decision of my life.

although one may find significant strength in the idea that this preference is fixed, it doesn't make it so. ultimately, where you find your strength to hold your convictions is up to you, but this falsity is not absolutely neccessary. you are strong enough. :)

Relatedly, though, causally affecting one's desire sans direct intention to do so stands distinct from intentionally choosing what one will desire. I'm splitting the hell out of some hairs though. :p

ebola

i know some blockheads who'd disagree

cuz i told them to

Most homosexuals say girls were uninteresting in grade school, and they had crushes on boys. To those who argue sexual orientation is a choice: Think back to 4th grade... Assuming you were attracted to girls, tell me, honestly, did you have a choice about this - did you really have to make a decision - about being straight? Nope, instinct by definition is not choice. .......................................................................... Now, if the argument is really that homosexuals should censor their behavior because you judge it to be wrong, then fuck that argument, it's stupid.

Sexuality can be dynamic and is not necessarily fixed throughout life. It also exists in degrees and is fluid. There's not 3 discrete types of sexuality - gay, bi or hetero, there is a continuous spectrum. I would class myself according to society's definition as straight but I have had what you would class as gay experiences when I was younger. It was a choice and not an expression of some label society would impose on me. That one experience does not define who I am for the rest of my life.

Basically I think we need to stop this bullshit of calling people straight, gay or bi and just say different people can sometimes have sexual relationships with other members of the same sex or the opposite sex (or animals or even cars). Human sexuality is complex and results from social factors as well as biological ones, so putting people or their behavior into pigeon holes is meaningless and not useful at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with Artificial Emotion.

I believe a truly free individual will choose to have sex with whoever they want (Consentingly -_-), regardless of societal viewpoints :)

Last edited:
Just as an extension of what I was saying, there are some societies (Thailand in particular) where they generally don't make the distinction of being gay, straight etc. As a result there is very little homophobia among the locals and people are more comfortable with their sexual behaviors without the guilt and anxieties that result from the westernization of sexuality.

It's when you start putting people into pigeon holes that there comes the risk of stigmatization, stereotyping and all the baggage that comes with it, as I said.

So rather than this just being a theory you see the social benefits in working practice. It's a whole different world over there where, as far as sexuality is concerned, everyone in general can live in relative harmony.

I'm not up on history so much, but wasn't there a similar situation in ancient Greece as well?

Just as an extension of what I was saying, there are some societies (Thailand in particular) where they generally don't make the distinction of being gay, straight etc. As a result there is very little homophobia among the locals and people are more comfortable with their sexual behaviors without the guilt and anxieties that result from the westernization of sexuality.

It's when you start putting people into pigeon holes that there comes the risk of stigmatization, stereotyping and all the baggage that comes with it, as I said.

So rather than this just being a theory you see the social benefits in working practice. It's a whole different world over there where, as far as sexuality is concerned, everyone in general can live in relative harmony.

I'm not up on history so much, but wasn't there a similar situation in ancient Greece as well?

I have a few things to point out here:

First off, for the people saying that some woman or some guy suddenly decided to be attracted to the same sex one day are a bit short-sighted. The likely cause of that in those types of situations are years of repressed sexual urges/feelings. Maybe they grew up with a strong religious or conservative background. One where homosexuality was openly discouraged.

If homosexuality were truly a choice, then why would hundreds and thousands of teens AND adults make their lives miserable by being the target of bullying or discrimination based solely on their sexuality?

Homosexuality occurs in nature amongst animals other than ourselves (as ninja pointed out).

Just because you are a guy who has sex with a guy doesn't necessarily make you a homosexual. Same going to for females. You could be bi-curious, or maybe a little experimental.

Modern society has become so hung up on these labels that it really misrepresents human sexuality. It should really be viewed as a large spectrum, with many possibilities in between. Homo/heterosexuality are conceptual creations and social fabrications of the past 1000 years. Plenty of cultures before ours had multiple genders and orientations...

Whatever engenders people and influences their sexuality is a mixture of many things going on in your body AND society.

P.S: Athenian men had an affinity for young boys not necessarily because of genetic traits, but because of how socialization took place. Look up "pederasty".

yes.

The argument I hear all the time is that homosexuals are born that way, it's natural they didn't choose to be gay

But whenever I've heard that I've said to myself why can't it be a choice?

Like I've heard gay people argue over the fact of whether it's a choice or not, but I think...why? Who cares whether it's a choice or not, what's the difference?

I mean, there has to be someone out there who started out straight and realized theyd rather be gay..I'm not talking about just being in the closet, I'm talking about having a shit ton of failed relationships only to try their shot with the same sex?

Am i crazy for thinking someone can choose who they're attracted to? I'm not gay so I cant really say definitely yes or no

Man, I'm a seasoned veteran of this homosexual game - I've had that white stick, that yellow stick, even that Persian stick. And I've got a long term girlfriend right now with no boys on the side. I'm not "gay" or "bisexual." Fuck that - I'm an individual. I knew the penis was wrong and I ate it anyways because I liked it! my girlfriend knows about it all and jokes about it. Does that make her a "fag hag" and us a second class couple? No! It means we're too liberal to even argue any side of it.

I'll put it like this: I think, in life, it is always your choice to go after what you want... or not. Society places pressure on people and molds them to the point where their identity is a mixture of... commodified bullshit. In certain environments, I can understand someone not even knowing whether they are gay or not until they make the choice to step far outside of their boundaries mentally and physically (i.e. make the choice to try it).

People develop taste. I understand that there is a political viewpoint to all of this, and that the future conservative right wing gay community of america didn't fight so hard just so someone could say it's a choice and all... but FUCK THEM for arguing that all gay people are the same, cut from the same loin cloth.

Gay, straight - all of those labels have meanings that we would really do without. How about, people in love, people experimenting, and people who were born that way, all agreeing to disagree about why they like the same sex.

I have a little secret which I'm going to let you all in on: nothing is a choice. Free will is an illusion! :p

^perhaps up until this point you're right, but i'm quite determined to one day have free will ! :p

And I'm quite determined to have Free Willy back in the ocean!

However, we can understand others better by understanding ourselves and how we see things.

Most homosexuals say girls were uninteresting in grade school, and they had crushes on boys. To those who argue sexual orientation is a choice: Think back to 4th grade... Assuming you were attracted to girls, tell me, honestly, did you have a choice about this - did you really have to make a decision - about being straight? Nope, instinct by definition is not choice. .......................................................................... Now, if the argument is really that homosexuals should censor their behavior because you judge it to be wrong, then fuck that argument, it's stupid.

Remember in grade school when we all thought the opposite sex had "cooties" or w.e it is u called it, if were judging sexual orientation based on how you acted in grade school then most people wouldnt be attracted to anybody and the rest would be in a relationship with their parents

And I'm quite determined to have Free Willy back in the ocean!.

I'm pretty sure he already is in the ocean

I unapproved a few posts in this thread-
This discussion needs to take place in a mature fashion please.