• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

calling parents by their name ....

i call my dad by his middle name ,i mean he wasnt around a whole lot till i was like 8,and my mother gave me her last name so i mean i dunno i guess looking at it if i had a kid and they did it to me it be weird

These are the very first people I learned to page, way back when I first mastered spoken language and learned to differentiate myself from other people and the rest of the world. It would feel mighty odd to page these people any other way than the way I was first taught, unless it was facetiously for comic effect.

There are probably cultures where people address their parents by name. But again, they probably have done so since the cradle.

Calling my Mom by her given name has always been a sure way to get death rays. I don't do it.

well i feel weird when i call my father dad,i mean i wasnt used to it so when he started coming around i didnt know him really i mean i will introduce him as my father etc ,but just saying "hey dad.....blah blah" just feels weird but i am close with him

I'm 49 y/o and I call my mother "mom". Hell,I still say sir and ma'am to her friends many of whom I grew up around.

i call my mom MOM .... here is the thing my father has always called me "BUD", I was supposed to be named after him but under the circumstances things didn't work out so I guess that's why he gave me a nick-name,i could prolly count the times hes used my real name....a lot of people on my dads side just call me BUD as well ,but none on my mothers side

I call my parents "Mom" and "Dad" but I don't see anything wrong with calling your parents by their first name. I know quite a few people who call their parents by their actual names.

I call my mother "mama" or "mummy" and my father I call "dad" and I'm 21.

I call all adults sir/ms/ma'am/mrs so and so. At work it's not necessary and the managers request we call them by their first names, but I feel very odd doing so. I always want to address them with their title (the Mr/Mrs etc) and last name. That's how I still address my friends parents. It's just a cultural/respect thing that I feel personally necessary based on my upbringing.

I don't think I've called my parents by their first names in my life.

Doesn't bother me in the least if other people use their parents' names though, one of my friends does it all the time. Standing joke between him and his father.

There's always one kid who does it. Caught me off guard the first time I heard them do it.

But really, calling our parents Mum and Dad is fucking silly. Even more so, Mummy and Daddy.

My boys went through a phase where they called us by our names rather than Mom and Dad. It drove our parents (the grandparents) crazy as they saw it as disrespectful. People who didn't know us well thought they must be our foster kids LOL. They called us that when they were late toddler up to about kindergarten. Then they went to school, learned the power of cultural norms and never said it again. It didn't bother me either way. I have always signed all my cards and letters to them xoxox, jan/mom.

Oddly, I find it quite natural to refer to my parents by their given names when describing some set of actions in the third person to a third party who isn't related to me. Eg, "oh, John went to the theatre," feels more natural than, "Oh, dad went to the theatre." Sometimes, saying, "My father..." just feels cumbersome.

ebola