Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cage diving

Pagey

Bluelight Crew
So I moved to Sydney about 10 days ago to study here for a semester and I desperately want to go cage diving and hopefully see a great white before going back to Europe in July. Has anyone on here done it before? Know where the best place would be? (so far I think Perth seems good?) / can tell me what it was like?! Thank you!

(p.s. you live in an awesome country)

Hello Pagey, welcome to the great southern land :)

Hopefully someone here will know where to dive with great whites, but if not, I can think of a few freinds I could ask. The great barrier reef is a must see, even just to snorkel and thats where most of the diving tourism would be. I dont know, but we will find out!

South Australia maybe? A quick google came up with this -

shark-cage-diving-1.jpg

http://www.sharkcagediving.com.au/shark-tours/

Do some research online though, check out any reviews (if there are any), this was the first site I came across, and I have no idea if it's any good.

canberra is the best place to see australias sharks

Parliment-of-Australia.jpg

hahaha Canberra's the best place to see a bunch of self-absorbed arrogant conniving cunts in formal business attire, otherwise known as our parliamentary leaders.

And me.

That was funny, until I realised you were serious. Like me.

Worrying isn't it? Lol

Edit: I have an odd feeling I'm misinterpreting your post, Opi8.

Oh don't mind me. I write stuff when I'm drunk that even I can't decipher.

^^ haha

anyway.. I work on a fishing vessle and just seeing the size of the bronzies n tigers we get comin up 60 fathoms, eating our old bait puts me off any form of cage diving.. let alone jumping in with 4 metre ++ whites? fuck that.. I'm glad cage diving is illegal in WA

I think it was meant as a joke, trozzle. I asked myself but I couldn't give a definite answer, that's what it looks like to a trained user of myself though.

No way would I jump in a cage near one of the sharks that some humans are baiting, taunting and murdering. Fuck that.

Never done any cage diving and not sure I really agree with the principle, the poor great whites are in enough trouble as it is without us stirring them up :\

Hey

Do you have an advanced open water PADI SCUBA diving qualification? Or an equivilent that allows you to dive to 30 metres?

If so you can do a dive with grey nurse sharks. Grey Nurses are gentle, passive and even inquisitive creatures and not aggressive at all - but they LOOK really mean. There is a permanent Grey Nurse colony on the North NSW coast called Fish Rock Cave. The dive centre who run it is in the town of South West Rocks. The dive also goes through a 120m long cave too, which is amazing (BYO water proof torch!). Not everyone likes cave diving but you can no doubt just go and hang with the sharks only.

I did a solo dive after the first main dive and came 2 metres away from a 3 metre long Grey Nurse. I was totally on my own, nobody knew where I was, at about 25m depth, with this massive shark right infront of me totally motionless watching me. We both sat for at least a minute. It slowly swam away but kept coming back every minute or so and generally hung around. I was terrified!! We really connected, like we had total eye contact, and I knew that i was in HIS domain. I spent about 10 minutes with him lurking doing exercises and checking out the coral, and then surfaced without incident.

Its a BRILLIANT dive though. Clear relatively warm water, hundreds and hundreds of sharks, the cave, and good diverse fish and colourful reef. Its the best dive i've done on the Australian mainland. But it does get down to 30m so you need the right ticket.

MSG me if you want more info.

WC

^ I go past there on my trips up and down the coast, I think it has some old famous jail there too yeah? Sounds pretty awesome.

I did a dive in fiji once along time ago and it was magic, the water is so warm and the fish and coral were jaw dropping, we saw reef sharks I think they were. We did 2 pre dives in the hotel pool first, then went out into the ocean. I also did a padi course later on back in Aus at Manly, but I never used it and I dont even know where my certificate is anymore and it's obviously expired. I think you have to keep re-newing them each year or something don't you?

A friend of mine who lives in Byron Bay, his son who is 18 I think just got a job with Byron Bay dive company or one of them and is being trained up as an instructor. It would be nice diving up there I imagine, Julian rocks I think it is called has sharks, the ocean seems a bit warmer up there sometimes than down on the mid north coast, but I think it probably depends on the currents too.

Your solo dive sounded amazing WC..