Busted, to tell or not to tell?

splitSol said:
when one consents to a search, typically how thorough is it? do they just look around and if everything appears kosher thats that? or have you had your compartments/trunk opened and looked in also?

MODs, it seems like you guys are reviewing what people post more seriously now than i remember from a ways back......if this question is out of line...please edit.

^splitSol, it's against the forum guidelines to ask a question about how to break the law; I edited your post so that it doesn't cross over this line. Thanks, Johnny1

In the story I told a few posts earlier, the highway patrol performed an extremely thorough search of my car. He opened my backpack, opened every text book and binder, popped my hood, spent 5 minutes looking through a first aid kit in the glove compartment, etc. He even took out a removable piece of my car that I didn't even know came out on the driver's side. The compartment was necessary to reach a few wires but he checked it vehemently, finding nothing, until I was free to go.

The only difference was in my case it was a matter of probable cause, not an instance of consenting to a search. I would say it depends mostly on the police officer and on some other circumstances (why pulled over, behavior, etc.).