Busted by feds in controlled delivery -- now what?

N

numnuts

I am a regular BL poster but I'm making this post anonymously, for reasons that should become obvious. Please move this to Legal Q&A.

Today I received a delivery of a small quantity of a controlled substance at my office. I had ordered this from a more or less trusted source who had shipped to me successfully before. This time, though ,the second I had signed for the package, a federal postal inspection agent and a local narcotics cop were right there flashing their badges. It was so surreal I didn't even panic, I just thought, "Well, this is it."

They asked to go somewhere where we could talk privately. I took them to a private meeting room. They told me they knew what was in the package, and if I answered their questions they would let me go without handcuffing me in front of my coworkers and boss. I thought about it and agreed.

Basically I pleaded to having purchased this substance through the mail, from such-and-such source, for personal consumption only, and that I was sorry for what I had done. I waived my Miranda rights and wrote and signed a written statement. The fed and the cop said because I had been so cooperative, I was not under arrest and I would never hear from them again.

However, they said I might still hear from the prosecuting attorney, who since this is a nation-wide operation is actually in another state. There is a chance I may be called to testify, and it is still possible I will be charged with something if I don't cooperate completely. It's my first offense of any kind and the maximum penalty is probably probation, but it could still really fuck up my life.

My main question is whether this now means all my other mail is going to be subject to opening and inspection? I was under the impression the authorities need probable cause and/or a warrant to open your mail, but I don't know if this bust amounts to probable cause for them to do so to me, indefinitely.

This is made worse by the fact that I already have two other deliveries en route from foreign countries, which if intercepted and traced to me would be my second and third offenses, which I'm sure would carry much stiffer penalties.

Thanks for any insight.

offhand, be sure to refuse any future deliveries. if confronted with a package, write "return to sender" on it with a large-bore sharpie.

holy shit bro, i just read this msg! take a look at my post "busted with narcotics help", this is the exact some shit that happened to me yesterday, almost word for word! i know exactly what happened !!

numnuts said:
My main question is whether this now means all my other mail is going to be subject to opening and inspection? I was under the impression the authorities need probable cause and/or a warrant to open your mail, but I don't know if this bust amounts to probable cause for them to do so to me, indefinitely.

As to PC in the indefinite future, no. Information sufficient to support PC can go "stale".

For example, even if someone is 100% certain you had contraband (drugs) in your house yesterday, there's no PC to search your house [based on that info alone] a year from now.

Furthermore, PC to open a particular piece of mail is not PC for every piece of mail you get - be they packages, letters from grand-ma, credit-card bills, or flyers from wal-mart.

However, you might expect that someone will pay more attention to return addresses on your mail, and try to develop PC if something looks suspicious. But at least they'd have to do a little work.

Isn't it legal to obtain a 90 day supply of certain kinds of medication without a prescription? Im sure Ive read it somewhere

Yeah.. I thought you could get a legit online prescription for benzos at least.. I dunno maybe some sources are legit and others aren't?

s0nic said:
Yeah.. I thought you could get a legit online prescription for benzos at least.. I dunno maybe some sources are legit and others aren't?

correct, s0n

foreign rx...

The 90 day rule applies to American citizens returning from abroad,not ordering from a foreign source.The authorities are very selective in prosecuting individuals who order medications [of any caliber] online.

Here in N.Y.C.,in Brooklyn to be exact,a large Canadian pharmacy opened up shop with a storefront ordering and receiving business.It created quite a stir,not because of what particular substances were available but because of the price.Foreign medicines are notoriously less expensive and that is something that the American drug manufacturers do not want the American public to see.

On controlled deliveries it is not always a cut and dry case.It is rather easy to claim [but not always successfuly] that the recipient had no knowledge of the packages contents.That is probably the real reason behind the authorities letting you go with a stern warning,etc.Also,it was your first offense so they [the authorities] took the path of least resistance.this way they brought the case to a satisfactory [for them anyway] end.

What about the obtaining a legit online prescription rule? Is it legal for schedule IV substances or not?

on line prescriptions

It is a grey area.The FDA [the relevant authority] periodically lowers the boon.As of yet they haven't prosecuted recipients of online scripts,just the providers.Of course that is only relevant to providers within the U.S.With an "overseas" provider,it becomes an issue for Customs and/or the Postal Inspector.The DEA only selectively gets involved,and then only to monitor.

If an individual was in actual need of said substances and possessed a local script,or at least a note explaining their condition,then it wouldn't present much of a problem.Of course thats not what we are talking about here.In our scenario it is a very sticky situation.However,on the bright side,these prosecutions are very difficult without an admission of guilt--which unfortunately the author of this thread sadly provided [although I understand his/her reasoning].

[please move to Legal Q&A, "Busted by feds in controlled delivery -- now what?"]

To be clear, the substance I was receiving was ketamine, which is not explainable by any script (unless I was a horse).

If it had been anywhere but at my office, I'm pretty sure I would have refused to talk or admit any guilt without a lawyer present, and let them arrest me. As it was, I still think I did the right thing given the situation, but now I am left completely at the tender mercy of the LEOs.

*sigh* I decided to receive these types of packages at work specifically because I thought it would be "safer" that way; obviously, I was dead wrong.

rachamim18 said:
If an individual was in actual need of said substances and possessed a local script,or at least a note explaining their condition,then it wouldn't present much of a problem.Of course thats not what we are talking about here.In our scenario it is a very sticky situation.However,on the bright side,these prosecutions are very difficult without an admission of guilt--which unfortunately the author of this thread sadly provided [although I understand his/her reasoning].

So if someone is diagnosed with anxiety, has gotten a prescription for one benzo, and is interested in trying another similar benzo. It would be legal for this person to get an online prescription for Benzo #2?

P.S. Sorry to side track this post, I won't ask anymore unrelated questions after this one.

^^depends where you get it from, some of the online sites are actually fairly legit, and if you give full disclosure, and you tell them about your current script and everything, and they still write you a script for the new one, then it's legal.

is it possible to know what substance is in question here? it would help to clear up some fears...

swybs

[EDIT]

When a user is posting as a guest, please do not publicly post information that might lead to uncovering his/her identity. He/she has chosen to post anonymously for a reason. Asking for confirmation of someone's initials is inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please move to Legal Q&A, "Busted by feds in controlled delivery -- now what?"

UPDATE

I spoke to a criminal defense attorney about my case. Here is what he said:

1) Pretty much all I can do now is lie low, keep my mouth shut, and hope they don't contact me again.

2) In his experience, if I were to be contacted again, it would be by the Postal Inspection Agency, and they would try to get me more involved in the investigation by running me as an agent against the supplier, wearing a wire, etc. However,

3) the fact that they didn't even hint at this possibility in my interrogation, and in fact said just the opposite ("you'll never hear from us again"), combined with the fact that
a) it is a very small quantity (1g of ketamine) at issue,
b) it seems likely they are amassing plenty of evidence against this supplier from other busts such as the other recent thread in this forum, and
c) that this supplier and his network may in fact may already be busted and a federal agent has taken over his e-mail account, as suggested by his odd and delayed e-mail behavior, in order to collect evidence from buyers like me,
makes it sound less likely to him that they will have any further interest in me.

4) If I do hear from them again, it will be an appropriate time to hire an attorney and have them negotiate on my behalf.

So, that's it for now. I hope I never have a reason to post in this thread again, but if anything else happens, I'll let y'all know.

Please clarify your purchase and source so that the rest of us can sleep at nights. Many people order from "legit" online sites for things like benzo's with no problems. Now, you purchased 1g ketamine from a "non-legit" site/source?

^^^ Please NOT do so, no sources information to be posted on BL !!!