• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine Withdrawals

I've bolded information I find to be conflicting.

I personally do not use suboxone or maintenance drugs, I've only used it for rapid detox and for that it has proven itself a very sharp tool to keep in my toolshed. %)

It's called "Sarcasm". *Face Palm*

Ok, I'm done with this thread. I don't want to get banned, cause that's obviously where it's heading once the mods read this.

Just notice the title of this thead is Suboxone withdrawals. And i'm telling you right here, right now, that they are the worst WITHDRAWALS in the entire fucking galaxy. Not even alien heroin could come close.

I don't know why you'd be banned? I was just asking if you'd tried ibogaine since you spoke so highly of it, and I guess we're not going to get a straight answer though. I've read a lot of research on ibogaine, but never spoke to anyone who has tried it personally.

You don't have to get so heated when we're just trying to have scholarly discussion.

Because I got into it with someone on the mega bupe thread. Hell it might have even been toothpaste come to think of it.

=D and you have something of a history, no a reputation, to keep up.

But anyways, what were we talking about again?

Cut. The. Bullshit. Guys.

I am taking a no bullshit policy with all bupe threads from now on considering what seems to happen in everyone.

Expect infractions if this shit continues.

I think this thread should be reserved for people's experiences with buprenorphine withdrawals. It's not the place for current bupe addicts to come and preach the benefits of using. Doing that is like going into an opiate withdrawal thread and taking about how much more productive you are while high on heroin.

Noted.

Even then, how can you tell whether someone has or hasn't been through bupe w/d? Is your standard for such a calculus really going to be whether one has had a positive or negative experience with bupe? You see the potential problems with such a requirement? I wonder what BL would look like if we started preventing certain populations from being part of certain discussions... Kinda antithetical to what this website is about.

Cut. The. Bullshit. Guys.

I am taking a no bullshit policy with all bupe threads from now on considering what seems to happen in everyone.

Expect infractions if this shit continues.

I really like the idea of cutting the bullshit, sooooooo...

Let us all shut our respective mouths, so to speak, until someone has some sort of question, needs help or wants to add constructive to this thread.

I think this thread should be reserved for people's experiences with buprenorphine withdrawals. It's not the place for current bupe addicts to come and preach the benefits of using. Doing that is like going into an opiate withdrawal thread and taking about how much more productive you are while high on heroin.

I agree.

I've been tapering off of Suboxone for months now, gradually decreasing my dose by half or a quarter every 2 weeks. I'm down to only 2mg a day, so within another month I'll be off of it completely with relatively no withdrawals. I still get them now though. I have a pretty fast metabolism, (would start to be dope sick after not fixing a shot of H for 6 hours), so the Suboxone I usually need to take every 12 hours or the first signs of being sick start to come up. I've never let it get that far, so I don't know how bad they would get, but I talked to my doc about it and he said it wouldn't be near as bad as my heroin withdrawals. He told me I could stop taking it all right now if I really wanted to tough it out for a week, but I figured fuck it. Why suffer even a little bit if I don't have to? Hah, I'm in no rush. I'll come off nice and slow that way it'll be smooth sailing. I'm pretty stoked about the prospect of not needing any foreign substance to get well. I don't remember what that feels like.

I've heard going from 2mg to 0mg is the hardest part. Good luck!

Why suffer even a little bit if I don't have to? Hah, I'm in no rush. I'll come off nice and slow that way it'll be smooth sailing. I'm pretty stoked about the prospect of not needing any foreign substance to get well. I don't remember what that feels like.

I'm glad to hear someone is using suboxone as it was intended. I certainly have misused it and experienced some nasty, if relatively minor, acute w/d symptoms when I first tried it (even though I'd only been using it for about a month, I ended up jumping from 2.5mg/day to nothing, which obviously was a mistake).

Since then I have tried slower tapers come off at 0.5mg and 0.25mg and frankly, with a little neurontin and naproxen (even with out that stuff and simple good eating, sleeping and general health), I suffered next to no disphoria or any disabling w/d symptoms (mild sweating was the only thing that mildly bothered my, and if I had had clonidine I'm sure this wouldn't have even been an issue).

Of course everyone is different and has different experiences with their drugs and medication, I don't know anyone IRL who has tapered correctly under the supervision of their MD who has had anything notiably serious to speak of in terms of suboxone w/d. The lingering bit of depression that comes with suboxone's PAWS sounds like it is the biggest issue, but most of these folks (well, all of them) who have a good life (i.e. significant other; work; school; hobbies; support groups/counseling; etc. etc.) never seem to have experienced anything so horrific as what you hear about for people who react so strongly to suboxone detoxes (or detox improperly).

Anyhoo, Let us know how your taper ends up mr.s!

What consequences of maintenance or suboxone rapid detox can be more severe than the drugs they are taken to substitute?

I may agree in a few cases, but for the vast majority, I highly doubt it.

When I was using Opana 24/7 for about a year I was extremely happy, pain free, and highly functional. Not a single person in my life even knew I was using. There were literally zero negative side affects other than financial ones (and similarly wasting time finding them etc.).

With this switch to TRFs I got myself off ahead of time using suboxone and that stuff had more negative side affects than my DOC. Heart palpitations, my body temperature did very weird things, the withdrawal was drawn out and while clearly not as bad as oxyM withdrawal it was bad in its own way. All while providing none of the pain killing/anti-depressant properties of a full agonist.

Going on suboxone is just trading one drug for basically the same drug that is just less enjoyable. The only benefits are socio-economic, not health benefits. Subs are legal and that is the ONLY difference. Using a full agonist (or just not a maintenance drug - methadone is a full agonist but it is TRASH) is no more detrimental to my health or the well-being/safety of others than subs.

It is all just a bullshit puritan racket

What I was trying to say with that statement was in response to another poster, that for some, maintenance can save peoples life. I know many people that would, if not for methadone, be dead, locked up, or still living the junkie lifestyle. Serving life sentences, six feet underground, or shooting up with bad injection practices, everyday stealing and hustling to support their habit, contracting bloodborne diseases, overdosing.

I am not saying one opiate is less harmful to your health than another, I was referring more to the lifestyle.

I do not always agree with trading one addiction for another, but on a patient per patient, case by case basis, it can mean life and death.

If you used opana the way you did with no problems, that's great, like you said maintenance is probably not the answer for you.

yea I understand what you are saying and it is true. I'm just saying its BS. Also fascinates me that suboxone is not used more often for rapid detox. I understand that the drug companies etc. would rather have you addicted to maintenance doses on the long term but even coming off a big habit it is possible to take literally just 1-5 sub pills taper quickly for a week to get over the full agonist w/d but then stop before getting addicted to subs. Incredibly effective way to quit.

but tricomb what i'm saying is this. IF you could go to a maintenance clinic and be offered three drug choices at the same price (say 10$ a day) one being methadone, one being suboxone, one being oxymorphone; what in the world would be the disadvantage of using the oxymorphone?

I've only ever used suboxone for rapid detox. It is amazing for this purpose, I've gotten clean with a single 8mg pill.

And in that hypothetical situation, I would be torn because I love oxymorphone, it's my DOC, but it doesn't have the legs to last me until my next dose. I would need to dose at least twice a day if not more. So I would choose methadone which lasts me at least 24 hours, since the point of maintenance isn't recreation.

Oxymorphone is a great analgesic and recreational drug as well, I just don't know how Opana ER would be in comparison to methadone for maintenance. Opana ER doesn't last me that long, and orally, I would need an insane dosage.

ROFLMAO

It is all just a bullshit puritan racket

After having spent half my young life in the north east US, Dog, you don't know how much I agree with you here. In a way I miss living in Hartford, where the Liqueur ("Package") stores couldn't sell booze after 9pm or on Sundays...

Frankly, I take (and enjoy) my suboxone largely because it is something I can openly get away with, use responsibly (and cost effectively) and not have to hide from those around me.. I mean while these folks, especially those whom I love most, come to terms with the fact that someone they also love and deeply respect actually enjoys using opioids... while they get over the initial shocked related to the stigmatization of recreational opioid use in this fucking society...

I mean I don't go flaunting it around in my mum's face, but she is really interested in learning more about it now that she's decided it's worth having an open mind if that what continuing to have a relationship with her son requires... but that's another store ;) We're writing our own book you know :)

p.s. my mum's great, she's come a loooong way, I meant no disrespect to her. you see, it's just, well, rather complicated, shall we say :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yea I understand what you are saying and it is true. I'm just saying its BS. Also fascinates me that suboxone is not used more often for rapid detox. I understand that the drug companies etc. would rather have you addicted to maintenance doses on the long term but even coming off a big habit it is possible to take literally just 1-5 sub pills taper quickly for a week to get over the full agonist w/d but then stop before getting addicted to subs. Incredibly effective way to quit.
Sometimes I wonder if I should of done the way you describe, but I had to be as normal as possible. I have to work everyday and can't miss a day, do to the amount of work I missed from my use of opana.

I have been on subs now since mid to late January of this year. Started out at 12mg and at 2mg now. My opana usage was pretty high though. The W/Ds I was getting from just going 7 hours without opana was bad.
Subs have saved my job for me, and a lot of other things in my life.
I was about to lose it all. I just wonder if I could of came off the Subs faster and felt good doing it. I been tapering pretty regular now. I drop about once a week, Sometimes 25% sometime 15%. I feel good doing what I'm doing though. I'm just hoping the reduction in dosage that I do from here down to nothing is as easy as it has been so far.
I have felt very little if any Side Effects or W/Ds from dropping from 12mg to 2, if anything I feel better now then when I was on a higher dose.
I also think you can do a rapid detox with subs and be in pretty good shape doing so, but once on them for awhile you have to take it slow and steady.