• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Buprenorphine Rescue from Naltrexone-Induced high dose Methadone Withdrawal

trelliz

Greenlighter
New study about Rapid high dose methadone detox

Dear Bluelighters,
I have recently found this small scale study called "Buprenorphine Rescue from Naltrexone-Induced Opioid Withdrawal During Relatively Rapid Detoxification from High-Dose Methadone" that basically says that they were able to rapidly detox high dose methadone users (80-120mg) by giving them clondine, then 50mgs naltrexone and 45 minutes after, when withdrawals kicked in they gave buprenorphine and continued administering buprenorphine for the next 7 days.
They claim that all people in the study succesfully completed the detox.
I was hoping to hear what you think about it and maybe someone had already tried this?

The link for the study is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2719550/#__ffn_sectitle

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to bluelight! I read the study and it's pretty cool reading because I have many friends that are on a high dose of methadone and dont see any way out of it. So am glad that there has been studies now about a proper taper.

I really want to try out this method and I could also document it in a diary, but it kinda sucks that noone here tried it before.

I really want to try out this method and I could also document it in a diary, but it kinda sucks that noone here tried it before.

Yeah there is something about being in a controlled environment with vigilant medical attention that would help overcome some of the psychological stress that would be associated with introducing a full antagonist and feeling the withdrawals begin to precipitate. I always like when a case study uses words like "gratitude". A great word. The aristocrat of mind-states. Not really a scientific word. Here is what I envision:

OMG I AM IN A HELL I CANNOT EVEN FATHOM. I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT A 10 ON THE ANXIETY SCALE FELT LIKE!!! I NOW UNDERSTAND A NEW 10! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG... OH ThIs PaRtIaL AgOnIsT HaS ReLiEvEd SoMe Of ThE Ag0nY. ThAnK YoU DoCtOr. ThAnK YoU...ThAnK YoU...

If you want to experience PTSD just get hit with an antagonist with a fully saturated system. I forgot what words like "stable" and "coherent" and "compliant" meant. Throw out the COWS scale (in the end a mostly subjective rating scale. Measure my relief in "gratitude". "Don't try this at home" comes to mind...

haha thats a funny post:)
I myself have already experienced precipitated withdrawals from taking suboxone too early and I wouldnt call it anything super extreme, however I cant seem to get a definitive answer on whether precipitated withdrawals from Naltrexone would be much worse. That is probably the biggest thing stopping me from trying this rapid Methadone detox method.