• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine for depression?

I really hope the studies prove to be worth while. My younger brother isn't dealing with a full deck, I'm talking a huge array of disorders. If it does prove successful over SSRI and the like it would be a huge relieve, I've seen the poor kid go off on every one and making suicide threats whenever they try a new med on him. It just seems to me they use him little test subject for shit. If it weren't for the addictive qualities of opioids then I'm sure it would already be in use. I use suboxone (not prescribe sorry) for a number of minor "personality flaws" depression, anger, mood swings ext. Personally one of my biggest phobias is mental illness, I've seen it my whole life. I can vouch that when I don't feel like doing shit but laying around and sulking, 1-2mgs has always done the trick and gotten me to get up off my ass, work and be productive throughout the day.

I tried kratom and it was doing wonders for a bit. The problem is you have to re-dose so often. Bupe lasts and lasts...I've heard of the trials they're doing. I don't know how I feel about non dependent people getting on it though- they'll become opiate dependent which may have adverse effects down the road. But for depressed/anxious people with an opiate dependence, it's a miracle cure.

bupe is one of the best AD's i have tried, and is one of the most sustainable with the least side effects IMO. bupe is behind NMDA-blockers in treating depression and anxiety for myself, but NMDA-antagonists also cause psychological and physical side effects...

bupe is one of the best AD's i have tried, and is one of the most sustainable with the least side effects IMO. bupe is behind NMDA-blockers in treating depression and anxiety for myself, but NMDA-antagonists also cause psychological and physical side effects...

I've read that you take tramadol daily, to boost oxy and weed, but you take DXM if you don't do tram. How much DXM do you take daily? Doesn't that mess up your short term memory or cognitive abilities? At least when you're on it. And doesn't it mess up your opiate high by giving too much body stone?

daily is too specific, sometimes i will go weeks without DXM and sometimes i take DXM everyday for a month. i usually take 60-150mgs depending on the situation. i am not sure how much it affects my memory and cognition because i am a daily pot smoker. whatever malevolent effects i receive from DXM are masked by my cannabis use.

oxy goes better with DXM IMO.

buprenorphine for depression?

so i've been struggling with at times debilitating unipolar depression since my early teens. i've been on every class of antidepressant, plus a lot of off-label shit like neuroleptics and atypical antipsychotics.
nothing helped.
so now i'm contemplating extreme measures. the only way it seems to get bupe around here is as suboxone for opiate addiction. would it be worth it to go through all the steps required to get into a maintenance program? also, and more importantly, would the physical addiction arising from daily bupe use be worth its anti-depressant effect? i've been pondering this, and cannot decide if all the negative aspects (having to go to a clinic every day, regular drug tests, having to score h beforehand because i'll need some in my urine) are worth accepting for the positive (possible freedom from depression).

bupe only makes opiate naive users high, and that is only for a short while usually. also around here there are no clinics, you just get your suboxone once every month or two when you see the sub doc. i would only consider this if i was so depressed nothing else worked and i was suicidal.

well, nothing has worked so far, and i've really tried pretty much everything. i've enjoyed bupe various times recreationally, however i've been physically addicted to a few different things in my life, and every time it was hell, so i guess opioid dependency is not worth the antidepressant effect it may or may not bring.

If you already suffer from severe depression, tossing in all the lowest lows of an opiate addiction is basically just putting a bullet in your brain.

bupe mad me feel normal the first time i took it and it was great so what you need to get bupe is to get an opiate/opidid like 20mg of hydrocodone or oxycodone make an appointment with a bupe doctor and take the hydro/oxy the day before your visit is and say your really addicted can't get off and the withdrawals are horrible and tell them you take 400mg of oxy a day and they'll give you a fair amount of bupe

I would not suggest faking an opioid addiction in order to get buprenorphine. Being physically dependent to it is NOT worth the small possibility that it will help with your depression. And for many people, bupe only helps with depression for the first short while and then you are stuck with a severe dependence to it and no benefits. I would never recommend it to someone who was not physically dependent to opioids. I would suggest trying alternative medicine first, if you feel you've exhausted all the possibilities from Western medicine. You might also want to try counseling, psychiatry, a different doctor, etc. I would not make the assumption that bupe would treat your depression and you will be a lot more depressed if you ever decide to stop taking it.

^psychology you mean. anti-d's should never be taken without undergoing some kind of therapy as well anyway..

No, I meant psychiatry. Psychology is therapy for the mind and behaviour, psychiatry is a medical specialty devoted to the treatment of mental disorders. But yeah, psychiatry is helpful too. I was kind of considering it as lumped in with counseling or "etc".

Bup as andidepressant

I'm suprised about the fact, that many postings made here are full of prejudice about the use of opioids- which could also be named as a sort of beeing just unaware, don't know.
I think the point is that these postings come rather from people who write from the perspective as addict/s (withdrawal, the consequences of illegality, problems, suffering etc) than as from a rational Viewpoint.

From a rather rational Viewpoint: By now, there were some really good studies made which researched the effect opioids have in depressive, double-diagnosed (addiction+xy), psychotic or anxious people.

Especially Buprenorphine was (depending on the study) proved to be enormous effective, up to 70%-Remission/Recovery Rate in a sample of 10 double-diagnosed patients.
Buprenorphine was also found to be effective as a fast, mood-stabilizing agent in treating forms of therapy-resistent depression.
There ARE these studies out there, google is your friend...
In most of the studys, the patients were actually or former addicts, but there are also studies researching non-addicts with similiar results.

The efficiancy of Buprenorphine depends on the severity of addiction and the severity of the psychopathological impairment.
It is most effective in middle ranges of these two axes.
Summa summarum, BUP has proved to posess antipsychotic, antidepressive and anti-anxiety properties (which is examined by medical research with empiric methods).
These properties do count also for Methadone, but in different specificities.
For example, the application of 10mg of methadone was able to stop a beginning manic episode.
There are also studies which proove these properties for other opioids like tramadol, oxycodone or morphine.

Buprenorphine can be denoted as a fast acting antidepressant which MAY work VERY well for especially some clusters (not for all!!) to which you can primary count double-diagnosed patients whose degree of impairment does not exceed ( simplistic summarizing) middle range impairment as well as people suffering from therapy resistent depression.
That's it.

I'm on buprenorphine for about half a year and I'm very satisfied with it.
I suffer from a (no official diagnosis, but I would call it-) form of atypical depression; several SSRI and other antidepressants could not help me out, they helped in stages of acute major depression, but in the long run I have no benefit from them as they make me feel just more shitty, bad, uncomfortable. So far there is no AD out there which made me feel normal or comfortable, and I'm pretty sure that there is no 'wonder pill' which would do different.

Buprenorphin indeed is in a position to help me out of my so called depressive disorder and connected impairments like a reduced performance, reduced social life and so on and so on.
So, Bupre is in fact in the position to stabilize me on a basic level, I feel comfortable, normal, (not 'high'!), sometimes happy- feelings that I do not have with SSRI and stuff. I am able to live a 'normal life' in spite of my depressive, melancholic disorder; Bupre does enhance my motivation and mood quite effective, compared with SSRI, which leads to a drastic improved quality of life.

So, for people who have "nothing to loose" (people who do not benefit from the whole range of SSRI/NARI/etc, who suffer from chronic mood disorders etc.) -and I count me to this description- Bupre could be a key to a drastic improvement/benefit and therefore for a increasing quality of life and all things connected to this like beeing able to go working, beeing able to do studies and so on).
When it goes to survive or not survive, you really give a shit about the possible side effects including addiction. This is, firstly, a risk which is ridiculous if you think in categories like survive or not survive- secondly, the risk(s) of addiction is tremendously reduced if you are in a proper therapy. You just put up addiction because it can be accepted if this medication can allow you to just live your life, to percept happy moments again, to pursuit your dreams and aims again- to live! That's it.

If you are interested in some studies, write me, so i will post the name of the study/ies.
You easily find dem via google then.

Last edited:
I merged this into the other bupe and depression thread. Let's not put it in the megathread.