• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Bupe or not to Bupe....

I thought i'd jump in the chat as it looks like a few of you are in the same position as me trying to taper...

I've been on/off Heroin the past 3 or so years and i've been through the withdrawls many times before but kept "stupidly" returning to it. Unfortunately the last time was alot worse, higher doses and on it for longer so i knew full well what i had instore for me when i get off it.

This is the only time i've actively sort help to get over it and i been prescribed Espranor. Due to the corona virus I didn't get the script supervised, they gave me 2 weeks worth of 12mg daily. starting with 4mg then 8mg the next day with the 3rd day being the 12mg... long story short, i didn't wait long enough from my last dose of H so i went into full blown withdrawals after it blocked all the opitates in my brain. Of course with all this buph i ended up taking the full 12mg on the first day just to try and stabalise myself from the pain i was in.

Anyway i don't want to be on this long term and i've already gone through alot of the pain so i've dropped down to 4mg daily for the past 1 & half week. I'm therefor thinking about bringing it down further now. The docs arn't too happy with me either because i've clearly ignored their advise dropping it down to 4mg rather than the 12mg so i probably won't get another script now.

I had planned on bringing it down to 2mg for 1 week then 1mg for the final week. I would have been on Buph for a total of 1 month. I've severed ties with my druggie friends so i'm hoping this will finally be it and i'll be clean and free of everything!

Any Advice? i feel like i'm kind of on my own at this point.

Shit man that was one hell of a prescription!! How are you feeling now?
Do you have enough bupe to carry out your plan?
My advice (I’m in no position to give clinical advice, but from one fiend to another) is to speak to the doctor and be honest, I think anyone could see what was gonna happen with you taking all that stuff home with you, it’s natural, most of us on here would have most probably done the same or similar, I certainly would have. Pwd’s are a nightmare, they kicked my ass harder than it’s ever been kicked so I feel your pain! It sounds to me like getting off it quickly is a good idea, but honestly you may struggle jumping off at 1mg. I’m down to 0.4 and it hurts like hell, but having said that I’ve been on this horrible shit for over three years so you may get off more lightly. It’ll probably be no worse than the initial withdrawals you had. But again I’m no doctor. I would certainly speak to the doc again because from my experience I personally think your plan is gonna hurt a lot.
Let me know how you get on.

Shit man that was one hell of a prescription!! How are you feeling now?
Do you have enough bupe to carry out your plan?
My advice (I’m in no position to give clinical advice, but from one fiend to another) is to speak to the doctor and be honest, I think anyone could see what was gonna happen with you taking all that stuff home with you, it’s natural, most of us on here would have most probably done the same or similar, I certainly would have. Pwd’s are a nightmare, they kicked my ass harder than it’s ever been kicked so I feel your pain! It sounds to me like getting off it quickly is a good idea, but honestly you may struggle jumping off at 1mg. I’m down to 0.4 and it hurts like hell, but having said that I’ve been on this horrible shit for over three years so you may get off more lightly. It’ll probably be no worse than the initial withdrawals you had. But again I’m no doctor. I would certainly speak to the doc again because from my experience I personally think your plan is gonna hurt a lot.
Let me know how you get on.

I'm fine on the 4mg dose i haven't experienced any further withdrawls. I've mapped out my remaining script: for a 3 week taper for the remaining days: 4mg 4mg 4mg 2mg 2mg 2mg 2mg 2mg 2mg 1mg 1mg 1mg 1mg 1mg miss a day 1mg miss a day 1 mg

it may hurt a bit but i haven't been on it for very long so if needed i can break the 2 final tabs up into 0.5 for 4 days. i'll play it by ear, 12 down to 4 was fine no problems.

The doctor called me and pretty much said if your not going to take the 12mg as prescribed then there is no point you being on it and with that i haven't heard from him since. i guess his idea is he's had 2 weeks worth of 12mg buph which isn't really enough to obtain a high enough tolerance to it yet, so he's just cut me off. i agree with you, i did think at the time, you've just handed a H addict all this medication unsupervised on his first script with you. not the best idea lol but i think considering i've been pretty sensible with it. being on 12mg indefinately scared the hell out of me becuase i'm so sick of WD all the time.

i'll keep you up to date as the days go on.

Cheers

Keep going with what you are doing, if 4mg is holding you then dont go back up to 12mg. There is an argument to be made for a higher dose (and especially not starting a taper straight away) in that a having a period on a stable dose of bupe at a level that will create a blocking effect against the use of other opiates (to a degree) can be a very useful tool in helping people get out of the habit of dosing and instant gratification from smoking/snorting/IV etc however they use their drugs.

Under normal circumstances I would say definitely do that stabilisation period and dont try to control a taper alone because most people find that very difficult, but given the current situation with healthcare and the fact that so far you seem to be doing ok so far then keep going. I would really try to do it under the care of a medical professional and to keep that relationship going (for various reasons) so consider trying to make that happen. I dont know what the situation is where you are but in the UK where I am this would barely even be a conversation, if you said 4mg was enough and that you didnt need more than that there would be essentially zero resistance against that in my experience. Maybe it wont be so easy for you but try to not cut ties, hilst you are doing good now if things get tricky further down the line then having that safety net of knowing you can stop the taper and hold on a dose for a while if need be is an important safety net. That can be the difference between using and not using, and if you cant get another prescription it wont be there. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

You sound like you want this though which is what really matters, maybe the situation you are in is not ideal and you might be tapering a bit faster than is ideal but if you want it you can do it. I jumped off bupe at 24mg daily and got through it (admittedly with a lot of non-opiate comfort meds), if what you are doing is working then stick with it but be aware of the risks of going too fast. Definitely try to get this planned out with a doctor so you have that safety net, but if that really isnt an option then dont be afraid of believing in yourself and going for it.

💪

Keep going with what you are doing, if 4mg is holding you then dont go back up to 12mg. There is an argument to be made for a higher dose (and especially not starting a taper straight away) in that a having a period on a stable dose of bupe at a level that will create a blocking effect against the use of other opiates (to a degree) can be a very useful tool in helping people get out of the habit of dosing and instant gratification from smoking/snorting/IV etc however they use their drugs.

Under normal circumstances I would say definitely do that stabilisation period and dont try to control a taper alone because most people find that very difficult, but given the current situation with healthcare and the fact that so far you seem to be doing ok so far then keep going. I would really try to do it under the care of a medical professional and to keep that relationship going (for various reasons) so consider trying to make that happen. I dont know what the situation is where you are but in the UK where I am this would barely even be a conversation, if you said 4mg was enough and that you didnt need more than that there would be essentially zero resistance against that in my experience. Maybe it wont be so easy for you but try to not cut ties, hilst you are doing good now if things get tricky further down the line then having that safety net of knowing you can stop the taper and hold on a dose for a while if need be is an important safety net. That can be the difference between using and not using, and if you cant get another prescription it wont be there. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

You sound like you want this though which is what really matters, maybe the situation you are in is not ideal and you might be tapering a bit faster than is ideal but if you want it you can do it. I jumped off bupe at 24mg daily and got through it (admittedly with a lot of non-opiate comfort meds), if what you are doing is working then stick with it but be aware of the risks of going too fast. Definitely try to get this planned out with a doctor so you have that safety net, but if that really isnt an option then dont be afraid of believing in yourself and going for it.

💪
Welcome to the world of bupe , yeah if your body is happy then a slow taper is definitely recommended, dont go back up to 12mg , also try not to stay on too long if unnecessary, & maybe rethink about jumping at 1mg , maybe come down to 0.8 , 0.6 etc to hopefully stop any further withdrawal, best of luck & keep us posted on progress, I'm currently down to 0.6, I'm dropping 0.1 per wk now but finding it quite difficult on certain days, take care everyone & speak soon

Can any of you give me some advice for this question ?

My cousin per say is taking 80 to 120 mg of OP's a day. He has been doing so for about 6 weeks. Before that they had not taken any pain medicine whatsoever.

He wants to know how to responsibly get off of the medicine. I am not experienced to advise him how to do so. He is worried that if he does it cold turkey he will get sick.

Is this true ? Can he do it cold turkey or should he try to taper off the medicine ? Also, he does not get the medicine from his doctor but from the streets so he cannot call his doctor

and get a lighter prescription.

I am hoping some more experienced people from this forum can answer this question. I am so glad this forum his here.

💪

jesus, you came off at 24mg? How was the withdrawal? I imagine it must have been terrible. What made you do that? It's surprising since you're right about our situation in the UK - it's been my experience as well that though I've found the doctors will always recommend doses way too high and out of proportion to the habit, if you as the client ask for a lower dose or to be reduced they're usually accommodating and don't try and push their personal detox agenda on you, which I've always appreciated, especially after reading the reports from Americans.

I just wanted the detox over and done with so I could taper on diazepam rather than trying to do both at once. The 24mg was also not even holding me through 24hours even though I had been stable on that dose for months, so it was clear that a taper was going to hurt as i was already waking up in withdrawal and desperate to get my bupe in me asap every day.

Obviously the withdrawal was fairly rough but I've had much worse. I had a lot of comfort meds (lofexidine, pregabalin, promethazine, quetiapine, etizolam), although light on benzos because I didn't want to bump my tolerance up. It did go on for a long time, about a month to be physically better.

Howdy folks

Not been around for quite some time as been getting on with stuff since I have been on the bupe and off the full blown opiates (10 months)

still on 2mg daily but past few weeks started to notice it doesn't hold me all day/night and start to feel a bit fidgety about 8pm so i just go to bed and wake up yawning my head off with goosebumps, but it ant too bad so just getting on with it...

had one episode in September where I had quite a few beers, and my opiate cravings came back with a vengance, so i necked like 180 DHC in the evening and it literally did NOTHING apart from made me constipated for 2 days so I know its a waste of time to try anything else again tbh !!

I've even managed to get off the baclofen and amitryptiline the doc so wisely prescribed me about a year ago

apart from getting bored stiff and a bit depressed I aint dong too bad, just find myself very very tired most of the time and keep nodding around midday...

hope everyone else is good!