• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Bupe and Antidepressants - Waste of $?

CookieOnCall

Greenlighter
Last week my docotor switched me from Suboxone to Zubsolv. I also take venlafaxine (generic Effexor). Do anti-depressants still work when the patient is on buprenorphine/naloxone, or am I wasting my money?

Yes, they still do work as they have different mode of action from buprenorphine. As a matter of fact buprenorphine have some ability to increase monoamines biosynthesis through kappa antagonism, so there might be some synergy with SSRIs/SNRIs. I don't know if you're wasting your money, but perhaps you don't need venlafaxine at all.

I read about buprenorphine/samidorphan being tested in a combination with antidepressants as a treatment for refractory depression and I'm wondering why they would make people take buprenorphine/samidorphan along with an SSRI/SNRI without switching them to a buprenorphine/samidorphan drug alone and see how it works out. Buprenorphine on its own seems to have a higher antidepressant potential than any SSRI/SNRI tested in the past. Why is it treated as an adjunct therapy? Well, obviously if you suddenly have a much better option for depression than all those shitty antidepressants used so far, it means great money loss for big pharmaceutical companies.