• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Bromide (NaBr, KBr)

DKs

Bluelighter
Hello everyone

I'm new here, however I'll get straight to the point: Any experience with Bromides here? Are they like phenobarbital or completely different? - I know bromism is a thing, but I'm not talking about long-term damage these substances might do. What are they like? Can u recommend a dose?

EDIT: How, for example, would 5 gr of bromide be to start with?
;)

Last edited:
Not like phenobarbital, even worse. Its a sort of meat headed sedation. Only tried some veterinary grade bromide salt don't remember the dose though. I will say it wasn't enjoyable.

Ok, many thanks for your reply.

I've tried something like 6 g of NaBr yesterday, as I had a little too much to drink during the last nights and I found it somewhat hard to stop.

So, it definitely works and is, in combination with some Opioids and a bit of coffee and Pseudoephedrine not even that bad (I'm suffering from severe anxiety). It helps, but it's not particularly enjoyable. I guess it is good to have something that actually works for me, but it is after all still very mild and mainly sedating once it does something. Nothing like Benzos for sever anxiety attacks or panic attacks. Would prefer these, but it is hard here in (most parts of) Europe to get anything at all for such a condition. Sure, antidepressants and dome neuroleptics such as Promethazine, but nothing that helps with actual anxiety better than placebo. Barbaric and cruel, really.

EDIT: I've taken another 6 g today, but am still having a tiny bit of drink. Started early today because the hangover was quite profound. I assume due to the long half life. Also please don't try this at home! Mixing other downers with alcohol and opioids, my case two different opioids, actually, can be very dangerous if don't know very well how much you're taking and how much you can take before dangerous adverse effects show (such as respiratory depression). Long story short, though: It definitely works, but doesn't feel all to good, as stated above.

EDIT2: Now about 12 g. You might need a lot to achieve a satisfactory effect. I do this though because I know NaBr as rather less toxic and even in huge (single) doses well tolerated by the human body. Nevertheless, don't try at home. Will update tomorrow regarding effects and "hang-over" (ie sedation lasting throughout the day).

Last edited:
I took so much (see my last post above) last night as I didn't feel any direct sedation. Unfortunately alcohol cravings seem not to be influenced at all,. but I could keep them under control since Bromide really seems to work in me against anxiety attacks. Out of so many thinks I've tried no antidepressant, sedating neuroleptic, THC or blood pressure med did at all but induce nasty side effects and uncomfortable sedation. Not that I would have chosen any of these, but they're what doctors here tend to give you for anxiety. I know, weird. But that's how a super modern liberal society where no-one falls for these evil money-grabbing pharma companies works, apparently. Better don't develop sever chronic pain, anxiety and panic attacks and real sleep problems. You likely won't get anything that works. Well, anyway. I was so sedated, I slept about 18 hours, woke up several times, but was simply lacking the energy to get up. I still had to go to the city pharmacy to drink my 50 mg Methadone-solution. My second methadone treatment I just have started about 3 weeks ago. On the way to the bus I felt like a heavily sedated squirrel trying to climb a tree. But no major anxiety attacks AT ALL throughout the day! WOW! I onluy can reach similar 9and admittedly much better) results with Pregabalin/lyrica or Benzos, which I can't get prescriptions for anyway. My memory is more or less intact but I don't have a sense for time at all and I don't know in what exact order things happened since last night. A bit similar to THC, but without the high.
Sooo: Can I recommend Bromide? - No, not really. Feels rather uncomfortable and I guess it is quite addictive itself. But it certainly works.

So long, folks!

EDIT: PS: I don't find a high dose worse than phenobarbital. Seems somewhat similar to me, yet different. Not worse though. Only lower doses are worse as they're just sedating in an uncomfortable way. But even higher doses are nothing like Meds you can get today such as the aforementioned Lyrica or Benzodiazepines. This stuff is just so much cheaper, but that's all. If you have the money for benzos or know a doc who prescribes them such that you get them paid for by your insurance, go for that.

Oh, EDIT 2: I paid a little less than US$ 10 for 250 gr of NaBr. I only bought it, took it and started this thread due to this exceptionally low price. But that's now definitely all from my site. So here you've got my full experience report.

Last edited:
Bromine/bromide is pretty toxic, they stopped using them medically for that reason. I would stay away.

Yes, right. Its half-life is extremely long, something like 10-12 weeks. So if you do several grams a day you'll over time end up with an illness called bromism, as mentioned in my OP. But it is well understood and researched. You can look it up on wikipedia.
To this day Bromide might be used in some countries, most notably in Germany, for certain types of epilepsy in infants. Therapy might be continued, if successful, well into adolescent age. 150 years ago, they just didn't understand a lot about the half-life and how substances can accumulate in the human body. So bromisim did rather frequently occur. But armed with all of this knowledge, I feel it is safe to take bromide for some time, as long as it doesn't become a habit.