• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Bromazolam on weekends to relax. Is this bad?

The_Big_Man

Bluelighter
I have been using bromazolam on my days off. I get Fri-Sun off. On thursday I take 4mg to relax and sleep and on friday i take 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night. Same with Saturday sometimes. Sunday is recovery day since i don't want the after effects to effect my work. Rarely i get Thursday off and use it like i would on fridays. I don't do this every weekend and go weeks without using it with no withdrawal or rebound anxiety. Is this a bad schedule? Can this lead to bad effects down the road if i keep going with it? Just asking for advice. Any help?

Having you notice your total use increasing over time?

As you know, any regular dosing of benzos is playing with fire. Also, the rebounds can be subtle.

Overtime the GABA-A receptor function/sensitivity will be impacted negatively with any sort of reoccurring dose pattern. So becareful. Benzos are the sneakiest drugs in existence.

3 days per week, especially at those doses, will eventually catch up to you

I generally didn't even start to feel rebound from bromazolam until around 48+ hours, it has a very long half life

but it will eventually become a problem, even only 3 days a week, that's no doubt... maybe a month or two or three down the line... but it will happen, sure as sunrise.

Having you notice your total use increasing over time?

As you know, any regular dosing of benzos is playing with fire. Also, the rebounds can be subtle.

Overtime the GABA-A receptor function/sensitivity will be impacted negatively with any sort of reoccurring dose pattern. So becareful. Benzos are the sneakiest drugs in existence.
I've been using this routine for months now. But my job schedule changes so i can go up to a month or two without a single dose. I just found 4mg to be my sweet spot, nice and relaxed without blackouts. I would say my average use is 1-2 times a week on weekends (since I ALWAYS leave a recovery day for after effects) but of i get extra time and I'm in the mood I'll take an extra day of use so 3 days total. I've never noticed any side effects from doing this but will this really catch up to me? Will the "catching up with me" mean i start taking it more and become addicted or as in like alcohol binging will it lead to health problems? I just want to know how much i should restrict myself to

3 days per week, especially at those doses, will eventually catch up to you

I generally didn't even start to feel rebound from bromazolam until around 48+ hours, it has a very long half life

but it will eventually become a problem, even only 3 days a week, that's no doubt... maybe a month or two or three down the line... but it will happen, sure as sunrise.
Are you sure you aren't confusing it with another brom-based benzo? Bromazolam has a duration and half life close to alprazolam so after 20 hours the "hangover" effects are gone for me. Never noticed rebound anxiety from it due to my short usage. I should also mention I use Mexidol everyday which increases natural GABA levels in the brain so that might have something to do with it.

I really don't recommend that anyone take Benzodiazepines for any reason unless they really have to. @Snafu in the Void and I are mostly aligned in our points of view on Benzodiazepine usage. I often use the term "insidious" when discussing Benzodiazepines. People describe Opioids like "being cradled in a blanket by God himself", Cocaine is like "going 100 miles per hour" whereas most describe their first experience with Benzodiazepines as "meh".

There are people you will talk to with true, chronic, crushing anxiety and panic for whom Benzodiazepines are undoubtedly Euphoric just like Heroin is to me. Those people are permanently locked in a cage by their own fears. To take a pill that allows them to experience life, well, you can understand how someone would want that.

For most "normal" folks, Benzodiazepines are not a true recreational experience in any sense. For instance, the first time I took Clonazepam (Klonpin), my first Benzo experience, I bitched the kid out cause I was sure he'd screwed me. Mind you, I had done Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Alcohol etc. After those experiences, I was totally underwhelmed by the effects of the drug.

As I got older, I began to find niches for the use of Benzodiazepines.

-Amphetamine comedowns
-Drug Withdrawal
-Moments of intense anxiety in my life

The way you write about Bromazolam and its role in your life is similar to how I would write about Morphine in my early days. "Man I really like just being able to relax and just do a little dope, not every day of course, just when I need to relax".

I've seen so many people move through the various "phases" of addiction, I've started to see patterns that are difficult to deny. The notion of "weekend use" is one of the ways people get started with their dependency. You're already sitting here mentioning things like Thursday, sometimes I immediately become worried. This is a very common course for Alcoholics and Alcohol/Cocaine addicts also. The party starts to get longer and longer each week.

I work by the philosophy of, if you were willing to do it the first time, you're probably gonna be alright with doing it again. You have to separate the "possible" from the "practical" in this game. Yes, it's possible for you to keep this going ad infinitum without problems, no dose increases, no dependencies etc. It's possible to use Heroin and administer it yourself every day. It's possible to buy 3.5g of Crack Cocaine, take one hit and then leave the rest for some other time. All of these things are possible, but in terms of what actually tends to happen, these things do not happen. The drugs are going to be smarter than any plan you think you've got going and that's that.

Case in point: if you want to continue messing around with Benzodiazepines, I would see you becoming dependent and ending up in the same bad place every Benzo user ends up in, needing the drug just to stop rattling, living in a state of constant panic/confusion and no longer receiving anything truly "positive" from the drugs. This is why my advice is to simply not do it.

You're in a place right now in your life where you're able to make this choice. You still have the power. It gets harder and harder the longer your dalliance goes on. There are people I talk to whose only wish in life was that they had never touched a Benzodiazepine. I know more than one person who has gone literally insane from chronic Benzodiazepine usage. Most of these people never realized they were taking a drug capable of such destruction.

Use Benzos the way we are told to use them, for no longer tha 4-6 weeks and/or only when needed (re Panic Attacks). Benzodiazepines wouldbe great for instance, for having been in an airplane crash, surviving and feeling emotionally pushed to the limit. This person could be prescribed the medication for this 4-6 week period while engaging in other services to help them resolve their issues. Perhaps at the end, they are given a small supply of PRN medication for breakthrough issues, but the treatment is essentially over. In this hypothetical case, the Benzo is being used to make the person stable enough emotionally to leave their home and engage in therapy/get sleep etc.

They are not medications to be used chronically/regularly. It is one of the greatest sins of our already downright satanic Pharmaceutical/Physician Complex. In practice, the vast majority of Benzodiazepine prescriptions are monthly, at a steady dose. The dependence comes on slowly, insidiously. By the time the patient crosses the threshold of needing more Benzodiazepines to be normal, this is when they are labeled an addict and ejected from treatment, while the doctor is able to wash his hands of the whole thing.

My own grandmother was put on Lorazepam (Ativan) when my grandpa died and was kept on it for ~20 years. Between the death of my grandpa until today, ~20 years after the fact. my grandmother was utterly destroyed mentally, emotionally and physically. She was perhaps 85 at this point. Her doctor died or retired and she was sent to someone new. One thing led to another, she was labeled a drug seeker and withdrawn from all of her medications fast enough to cause her to have a seizure.

She lives in a very small town ~5,000 where everyone is in everyone else's business. My grandmother went from unofficial social ambassador o the city, doing this, doing that, doing church choir, babysitting 10 different grandkids and so on. Today, a good day for her is if she doesn't break down in tears while sitting in her chair and watching QVC. The whispers are that she is a drug addict and everything came apart because she just loved pills so damn much.

The sad angle here is that my grandmother is a TEETOTALER in every sense of the word. Any, I mean any Alcohol whatsoever is a sin. Cigarettes are the same. My grandma wouldn't have smoked a marijuana cigarette for a million dollars. In no version of reality would my grandmother have been a drug addict. Some doctor put her on some pills and made here into one.

I've now written a crazy diatribe. I apologize for the story. I just felt that it gave some meaning to what I was trying to say. These things are like playing with fire. Just like Opioids, they should only be used as needed and when absolutely necessary if one is lookin for any kind of stability or longevity.

I really don't recommend that anyone take Benzodiazepines for any reason unless they really have to. @Snafu in the Void and I are mostly aligned in our points of view on Benzodiazepine usage. I often use the term "insidious" when discussing Benzodiazepines. People describe Opioids like "being cradled in a blanket by God himself", Cocaine is like "going 100 miles per hour" whereas most describe their first experience with Benzodiazepines as "meh".

There are people you will talk to with true, chronic, crushing anxiety and panic for whom Benzodiazepines are undoubtedly Euphoric just like Heroin is to me. Those people are permanently locked in a cage by their own fears. To take a pill that allows them to experience life, well, you can understand how someone would want that.

For most "normal" folks, Benzodiazepines are not a true recreational experience in any sense. For instance, the first time I took Clonazepam (Klonpin), my first Benzo experience, I bitched the kid out cause I was sure he'd screwed me. Mind you, I had done Amphetamines, Ecstasy, Alcohol etc. After those experiences, I was totally underwhelmed by the effects of the drug.

-Amphetamine comedowns
-Drug Withdrawal

The way you write about Bromazolam and its role in your life is similar to how I would write about Morphine in my early days. "Man I really like just being able to relax and just do a little dope, not every day of course, just when I need to relax".

I've seen so many people move through the various "phases" of addiction, I've started to see patterns that are difficult to deny. The notion of "weekend use" is one of the ways people get started with their dependency. You're already sitting here mentioning things like Thursday, sometimes I immediately become worried. This is a very common course for Alcoholics and Alcohol/Cocaine addicts also. The party starts to get longer and longer each week.

I work by the philosophy of, if you were willing to do it the first time, you're probably gonna be alright with doing it again. You have to separate the "possible" from the "practical" in this game. Yes, it's possible for you to keep this going ad infinitum without problems, no dose increases, no dependencies etc. It's possible to use Heroin and administer it yourself every day. It's possible to buy 3.5g of Crack Cocaine, take one hit and then leave the rest for some other time. All of these things are possible, but in terms of what actually tends to happen, these things do not happen. The drugs are going to be smarter than any plan you think you've got going and that's that.

Case in point: if you want to continue messing around with Benzodiazepines, I would see you becoming dependent and ending up in the same bad place every Benzo user ends up in, needing the drug just to stop rattling, living in a state of constant panic/confusion and no longer receiving anything truly "positive" from the drugs. This is why my advice is to simply not do it.

You're in a place right now in your life where you're able to make this choice. You still have the power. It gets harder and harder the longer your dalliance goes on. There are people I talk to whose only wish in life was that they had never touched a Benzodiazepine. I know more than one person who has gone literally insane from chronic Benzodiazepine usage. Most of these people never realized they were taking a drug capable of such destruction.

Use Benzos the way we are told to use them, for no longer tha 4-6 weeks and/or only when needed (re Panic Attacks). Benzodiazepines wouldbe great for instance, for having been in an airplane crash, surviving and feeling emotionally pushed to the limit. This person could be prescribed the medication for this 4-6 week period while engaging in other services to help them resolve their issues. Perhaps at the end, they are given a small supply of PRN medication for breakthrough issues, but the treatment is essentially over. In this hypothetical case, the Benzo is being used to make the person stable enough emotionally to leave their home and engage in therapy/get sleep etc.

They are not medications to be used chronically/regularly. It is one of the greatest sins of our already downright satanic Pharmaceutical/Physician Complex. In practice, the vast majority of Benzodiazepine prescriptions are monthly, at a steady dose. The dependence comes on slowly, insidiously. By the time the patient crosses the threshold of needing more Benzodiazepines to be normal, this is when they are labeled an addict and ejected from treatment, while the doctor is able to wash his hands of the whole thing.

My own grandmother was put on Lorazepam (Ativan) when my grandpa died and was kept on it for ~20 years. Between the death of my grandpa until today, ~20 years after the fact. my grandmother was utterly destroyed mentally, emotionally and physically. She was perhaps 85 at this point. Her doctor died or retired and she was sent to someone new. One thing led to another, she was labeled a drug seeker and withdrawn from all of her medications fast enough to cause her to have a seizure.

She lives in a very small town ~5,000 where everyone is in everyone else's business. My grandmother went from unofficial social ambassador o the city, doing this, doing that, doing church choir, babysitting 10 different grandkids and so on. Today, a good day for her is if she doesn't break down in tears while sitting in her chair and watching QVC. The whispers are that she is a drug addict and everything came apart because she just loved pills so damn much.

The sad angle here is that my grandmother is a TEETOTALER in every sense of the word. Any, I mean any Alcohol whatsoever is a sin. Cigarettes are the same. My grandma wouldn't have smoked a marijuana cigarette for a million dollars. In no version of reality would my grandmother have been a drug addict. Some doctor put her on some pills and made here into one.

I've now written a crazy diatribe. I apologize for the story. I just felt that it gave some meaning to what I was trying to say. These things are like playing with fire. Just like Opioids, they should only be used as needed and when absolutely necessary if one is lookin for any kind of stability or longevity.
I'm sorry to hear about your personal struggles with family and addiction, my father passed in the early days of the opioid crisis due to oxycontin overdose. I neglected to mention i have a lockbox for these substances. once I have used my fill i lock them away with a timer until i allow myself to use them again. I don't use every weekend, i was describing my peak usage. I do indeed have high anxiety and muscle pain from work. Some people have a few drinks on the weekend to relax, sometimes even have a bender every once in a while. My original question was more about the physical effects of it. Drinking a few drinks every weekend is going to be harmful to your liver and other organs. My family members are fully aware of what i am using and have full power to take it away from me if they even suspect i am abusing them. Like i don't want to have this vice for years then suddenly be told I'm going into liver failure like some weekend alcoholics i have seen.

-Amphetamine comedowns
-Drug Withdrawal

After self reflection I realize that benzo benders are a bad idea. A road i don't want to go down. 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night. Maybe some gabapentin to enhance it (with a sitter to ensure OD isn't a factor) once a week tops will be my schedule from now on. Not every week. Frequent up to month long breaks. I shouldn't be using drugs as a crutch. Even if I don't experience any adverse effects or signs of dependency or addiction now I do not wish to FOFO with drug addiction. I have used dozens of highly addictive substances including opioids and dissociatives and never felt the urge to become an addict on them so i shouldn't start now. I thank you guys for helping me realize this. I have a time released box for these addictive substances that i physically cannot open them no matter how much i want to. I will force responsible use. Benzos are recreational for me as i have a high level of anxiety and muscle tension from my manual labor job so i recognize just how easily i could become an addict if I allow myself to go on benders. Again, thank you for your kind words and sound advice from the bottom of my heart. Have a blessed day and hope your life improves just as you have wished for mine to.

Yeah I agree with Keif, people fear monger on benzos due to the dangers they have usually experienced themselves or to someone they know. But from a harm reduction instead of a "just don't do it" standpoint, once a week is very reasonable IF honest with yourself. Keep doses as low as you can, but once a week is pretty common for how it is prescribed so I don't see the problem as long as you know when to call it quits if your use increases.

I will say though that out of all drugs I've abused benzos have damaged me the most mentally, physically, legally, etc. by far. I was irresponsible with my use though and would only start on the weekends, turned into 3 days, turned into "oh today is hard I'll just take it 4 days a week", turned into everyday at night, then everyday all day. It is easier to continue use with them since they suppress the part of your brain that makes you care about your rules in the first place