• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Boiling tonic water to concentrate quinine

mike.vick

Bluelighter
Tonic water has up to 83mg of quinine per L. The boiling point of quinine is 2-3X that of water. Could you boil tonic water to remove the water and keep the 80mg of quinine?

Last edited:
Theoretically yeah, but why? You'd just get a thick syrup that's concentrated tonic water, with all the corn syrup/sugar and stuff.
Also, it's possible that quinine would break down at a temperature that's below its boiling point.

^^^ Oh, see I was not aware that something could break down past it's boiling point - despite a yr of college chem - The melting point is ~170C so 70C above water's 100C Boiling point.

I wanna have quinine because it is great for leg cramps and with dxm if you know what your doing. It keeps DXM from turning into dextrorphan as much. Quinidine, is ~15x more potent of an inhibitor at the DXM-breakdown-enzyme than quinine, and it is used with dxm at the 10-20mg dosages for a newly approved drug called "Nuedexta" for spontaneous crying. and I'm WD from opiates.

A concentrated syrup with a 30mg dxm and some kratom and your legs are relaxed.

Sooooo...did anyone attempt this? Love that OP heckles everyone for not responding, then doesn't invest the 20 cents to give it a good old college try.

If you, for whatever reason, find yourself wanting quninie, for the love of god don't try and extract it from tonic water. It's not a scheduled substance or anything, you can buy it pretty freely. It's available as the sulfate salt, and doesn't cost enough to warrant extraction from tonic water.

If you, for whatever reason, find yourself wanting quninie, for the love of god don't try and extract it from tonic water. It's not a scheduled substance or anything, you can buy it pretty freely. It's available as the sulfate salt, and doesn't cost enough to warrant extraction from tonic water.
As far as I can see it's actually prescription only in the US and UK, so not as easy as searching amazon...
You could boil it down to a syrup and try extracting with a minimal amount of hot methanol or ether. Then filter and evaporate the solvent, followed by a couple of re crystallizations.