poll | thread

Round 12: Holidays
Winner: Survival0200
thread+poll

Round 13: Architectural
Winner: felixdahousekat
poll | thread

As usual, all pics are great.

Ravingloony gets my vote this time around for another fantastic depiction. :)

I loved all the water-based ones, but I think SillyAlien's depicts MOTION the best - but I can't quite figure out how you did that? Please explain! :)

Similar to Aliens but IMO created the effect better hence i went for Mazeys

Damn does my head in that pic.

Whats next please silly?

felixdahousekat said:
I loved all the water-based ones, but I think SillyAlien's depicts MOTION the best - but I can't quite figure out how you did that? Please explain! :)
I reckon it was taken from a bike or a car going a little faster than the rider. Just my guess, I'm curious as well though. Great shot.

Thanks guys! As I mentioned, it was one of about a dozen shots I took walking home from the mall during a blizzard. The camera was virgin. I'd picked up an SD600 earlier, on sale for $250 tax in, as I was looking for something ultra-portable and *cheap* to replace my bulky a510.

So, the camera was brand new, literally a day old. I had little clue as to the settings and was just trying it out. That's why I called it a "botched series of shots", because it truly was.

The cyclist: taken with no flash (doh!) and wrong ISO setting, on a very poorly lit stretch of the main street. Taken from a stand-still position, by sweeping the camera to match the cyclist's speed. This usually results in an in-focus centre subject against a backdrop of blurry (rushing by) background objects. If you try this out in the daylight in a really busy downtown setting, following a car, bus, cyclist, or skater for instance, you can come up with some really fantastic results. If you do it right, the background detail will be slightly more in focus than in my shot, with the main subject remaining the sharpest, and the feeling of motion/speed will be even more realistic. I used to love taking these types of shots back in the day with my 35mm Zenith brick. These digital babies, I'm really finding a lack of time to play with.

There you have it. :)

This is a pretty tough one, but I had to vote for the Sun's entry, because e.g. the water entries are too similar to each other. :\

It has good technical quality also.

The method used to take Silly Alien's picture of often referred to as "panning" if anyone googles it for more information.

Nice work, dude. You get my vote. :)

As mentioned in the discussion thread for this round, the next theme will be "Emotion" (by request). I have a really good feeling that we'll see some really captivating captures. :)

"Emotion" ... You should go out and sneak behind some kissing couples and start taking pictures? 8)

SillyAlien said:
As mentioned in the discussion thread for this round, the next theme will be "Emotion" (by request). I have a really good feeling that we'll see some really captivating captures. :)

Good idea. I just got engaged yesterday and got it all on video. I can freeze frame some of the better "emotions" and use them as pictures. ;) Marriage proposals FTW. =D

Make sure there's a cat in there somewhere, BA. =D

Oh, and a BIG Congratulations to you both, man. :)

Thanks! No cat though, that's almost too easy of a win.

SA got my vote, despite the emo next round :p
everyone else a very fucking close second.

Survival0200 said:
"Emotion" ... You should go out and sneak behind some kissing couples and start taking pictures? 8)
emotion: manifestation of non-verbally expressed feelings of agreement, amusement, anger, certainty, control, disagreement, disgust, disliking, embarrassment, fear, guilt, happiness, hate, interest, liking, love, sadness, shame, surprise, and uncertainty. (wiki)

Even a fish can be pictured to express at least one of the above. ;)

*plans to sneak up and snap the emo dregs that hang out in hyde park on the weekend*

I voted for Raving Loony. Conveyed a sense of motion very well with a short exposure.

Looking forward to some creative interpretations of the next theme!