• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

bluelight 2-d design contest round 3: LETS GET HIGH!

Mz_Thizzle said:
^ Aww thanks :D I almost didnt post it because theres already a bunch of other good ones, I didnt know if mine would even compete, so I'm glad someone likes it.

oh, and I love the texture in yours, doofqueen! it really makes me want to just reach out and touch the screen lol
PLEASE! enter every contest, feel welcome!

art is a personal thing.

dont feel intimidated to post your work--or if you want you can PM me first and ill critique it / discuss ways to improve :):)

Last edited:
Here is the series. :)

psychedelicbw1.jpg

I see what you mean about being able to enter series, and I thought about it, but I felt like they're still separate - stand alone pieces so it would be more like entering 3 pieces. It's your call.

The first one changes the value of a color, the middle changes chroma, and the last one changes the temperature. The colors in the last one are distorted pretty badly though.

i HIGHLY recommend you download picassa to fix little things like that.

and if its really my call--then yea, i think the series is MUCH stronger than the one you originally posted.

wesmdow: i think your pretty good, but i noticed that every painting you have posted up here is full of hands. the hand theme is turning me off a bit. dont take it the wrong way, just some C/C.

heres my crappy drawing.
highpt8.jpg

wesmdow said:
i HIGHLY recommend you download picassa to fix little things like that.

and if its really my call--then yea, i think the series is MUCH stronger than the one you originally posted.

Use photoshop it has better features to enhance a piece.

QuestionEverything that is some radcore galore to the floor art there man.
and i dig ya drawing too IAMTHOUGHTS. mean pieces, peace.

Nice one, tango :)

DQ - what sort of paint did you use? I like it.

Oh thankyou! =D
Caroline, I love yours! I love drawing faces, and yours are amazing...

Mz_Thizzle said:
^ Aww thanks :D I almost didnt post it because theres already a bunch of other good ones, I didnt know if mine would even compete, so I'm glad someone likes it.

oh, and I love the texture in yours, doofqueen! it really makes me want to just reach out and touch the screen lol

oh thanks! I struggle with creating 3d effects and find that most of my stuff is quite flat so thats cool :)

Kat - i experimented with heaps of mediums in this one. It's mainly all acrylic paint mixed with q'cell and gesso. The background is done with oils and glaze but the splashes are acrylic... thanks :)

graphite + colored pencil

colorpencilsubmission.jpg

fucking scanner destroyed most of the rendering quality... there isnt any brown there thats just scanner reflection on the graphite...

QuestionEverything said:
Here is the series. :)

psychedelicbw1.jpg

I used to have an art teacher that said theres a difference between liking something, and being willing to display it in your house. Theres lots of work I like that I wouldnt put up in my house, but if I saw this in the store I would totally buy it to put up.

I would love to see what it looks like in person. If theres ever a BL meetup that we're both at you should bring it! :D

Thanks Caroline and Mz Thizzle! I agree with your art teacher. The thing that sucks about this though, is it's mounted and wrapped for school, with the color blocks mounted on the sides of each one to show the effect. :\ It was fun to do though, and my professor totally got off on the drug theme. I could think of nothing better to go with, considering the play with color illusion was totally a throw back to OP art (and psychedelia), which screams drugs to me. :D