• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Blood Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno what mine is. The only time it gets checked is once a year at the gyno.
I know if it was high I would change my lifestyle instead of taking meds.

Exactly right. Im 26 and have had 2 major heart attacks and 3 strokes. I suffered renal failure and now have a one collapsed ventricle out of the 4 we have and suffer from atrial fluttering. All this strain on my body tends to cause me to have high BP to say the least. They had me on all kinds of meds, labetalol worked the best. But just like PI says, a change in your life style is best. I dont smoke cigs anymore and have been clean from drugs for over a year and Im eating healthy. I do tend to drink like a fish though. But Ive been working out a little also. And my BP is staying low with out any meds. My BP is more stable and healthy than when I was just popping the pills to fix it. Our bodies naturally want to be healthy, we just got to allow them to and help em along the way. And yes I understand that high BP runs in some people genes, but that doesnt mean there not a natural and more healthy way to curb it.

everytime i had it checked with the person who represented a medical professional, it was consistently 160/90. thats what i would get at random BP pressure check stations as well for around a year. i am certain it isnt that high any more, but must be around ~140/85 usually...

_________
lol i try and not get frustrated about it.

Last edited:
A few days ago, was 90/65 with heart rate of 65/min with respiratory rate of 11/min and Spo2 98%.

My CV+P fitness regime must be reasonably effective.

I need to get mine re-checked..Ever since 19 (22 now) my doctor has begged to put me on high blood pressure meds. I wish I knew what the numbers were so I could compare. My family has a long line of cancer/heart disease.

each of like un countable lymph nodes i had scanned, as showen with an MRI, was clogged with crap(humira/remicade(artifacts/halos with no comet tails) i was supposed to go have surgery, but, it is just too much to believe for others, this is the causem for my HBP etc.

oh such stresses.

Blood pressure??? Please give me some insight here...

Anyways.....

Im young, only 21 years of age.....

My blood pressure is always really low, and whether im at the doctor, or the hospital, or whatever the circumstance, my blood pressure is always very low....

The nurses always comment that it is very good....

And i was reading that low blood pressure= a lower chance of heart disease, which makes me feel bad; however, sometimes i wake up with my hands going dead, which i would believe is a result of low blood pressure....

What do i do about this....44:?:?:?:?:?:?

You state you feel badly about having a decreased risk of heart disease- why do you feel bad about that?

Since we can't diagnose you on the Internet, I suggest contacting your healthcare provider to address your concerns :)

Good luck!

How low are you talking? If your top number is always >80, I doubt you have much to worry about.

Blood pressure that's unhealthily low causes symptoms that are hard to ignore. Expect your heart to pound crazily when you rise from a laying position quickly, and for you to frequently faint or come close to it. If it gets really low your organs won't get proper blood perfusion. Expect to be stuporous and lethargic since your brain isn't getting much blood, and for you to not make much urine because your kidneys have failed, again, from lack of adequate bloodflow. You'll feel too weak to do much, because your muscles aren't getting blood. You don't last long in this state.

What exactly do you mean by your hands "going dead"? If they're numb or tingling when you wake up, you're probably sleeping with your arms in a position that compresses one or more nerves to your hands. This has nothing to do with circulation or blood pressure. If you sleep with your wrists pressed into a flexed position (under your chin or pillow or anything else) you may be on the road to carpal tunnel syndrome, and would benefit by sleeping with braces that keep you from being able to flex your wrists in your sleep. Ask your pharmacist.

If your hands and feet are numb every morning when it's cold outside, that is a circulation issue. Try sleeping in a warmer environment, and get plenty of cardio exercise to get your peripheral blood vessels used to dilating.

I wouldn't worry about it; if it was too low, the doctors would have likely said something.

High blood pressure is so much more common.

MDAO's post is very good. :)

numb/tingling hands when waking up could be a symptom of sleep apnea.

Are you taking any medications? The reason I ask is I used to have lower-than average blood pressure. Went to rehab for oxycodone addiction and they gave me methadone to detox. The staff would always wake us up at 6 am for vitals and I was real sleepy. My pressure was 85/50 on the third day and the nurse said that couldn't be right. But got the same result when they tried again. So they wouldn't give me the methadone until I got my pressure back up.

Blood pressure basics, false readings and manipulation?

I used to see two doctors, one GP and one at a clinic. Both took my blood pressure quite often and usually it was normal. Then suddenly it got higher, but only at the clinic. So much so, that my meds were reduced and I had to be checked more often. For ages I was told I had raised BP and I was quite worried.

Then I bought my own monitor and the instructions said THE CUFF MUST BE LEVEL WITH THE HEART, a thumb width from the crook of the elbow for the reading to be accurate. Testing it out, I took my BP three times :-

With the cuff high = 112/76
With the cuff at heart level = 118/81
With the cuff low = 125/87

Whoa! So now I know why my reading was up at the clinic. I'm quite tall and sitting on a high chair with my arm resting on the doc's low desk, the reading was higher than it should be. So next time I went I hitched my shoulder up and the reading was normal.

Is this common knowledge? Does this mean there are loads of people on BP meds unnecessarily? I'm astounded that in all the years I've had my BP taken, the medics haven't applied the basic rules. They just pull the cuff on, sometimes over clothes, and tell you to rest your arm on the table regardless of how far away it is.

Years ago, when I was in my 20s I was told I couldn't have the contraceptive pill cos I had high blood pressure. Now I'm not so sure.

Oh, of course people are prescribed medications much more than when necessary, especially blood pressure medications.

My word on this is to keep a log. Don't automatically assume that just because your blood pressure reads high at the doctor's office that you're screwed. It's all about keeping tabs on your own health. Most of the time, especially at your average clinic, they're just checking to make sure you're not in urgent need of care. So, as long as your blood pressure isn't extremely high, you're just fine.

If you're worried at all, maybe keep tabs on it and check your blood pressure and pulse rate every week or so. If it seems high, ask yourself what you can do to help it. :)

Are you taking any medications? The reason I ask is I used to have lower-than average blood pressure. Went to rehab for oxycodone addiction and they gave me methadone to detox. The staff would always wake us up at 6 am for vitals and I was real sleepy. My pressure was 85/50 on the third day and the nurse said that couldn't be right. But got the same result when they tried again. So they wouldn't give me the methadone until I got my pressure back up.

i ake temazeoam and xanax, sometimes vicodin, oxy 00

sleep paralysis is also a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. have you ever had a sleep study?

Medical professionals are your friends in some instances... You just have to be honest with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.