• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

BL Guide to Itchy Feet: Travel!

So many things to see, so little time.
I don't think i'll be heading of anywhere soon till after i finish my degree and then make me some money.
Would love to go to poland again and see my family most importantly, then travel all around europe, just rent a car and travel through the different countries. I wanna see New Zealand one day, because of it's greeness, mountains, vast countryside (i think i watch Lord of the rings too many times)
Other then that i've been all around australia.. awsome.. just awsome..

Going to Germany and Ireland in april, wootstyla huzzah! It's going to be unreal, first time in ireland and going to deutschland will be a pleasure as always. Now back to worrying about if war will interfere will my travel plans.

*turns in cirles shuffling feet on the ground...dam they are itchy*...
working in the bar industry since moving to new south wales i have trained and worked with a number of back packers and travellers and i guess thats where my itchy feet has come from.i have started the process of saving to move interstate aswelll as move.
where i wana go and why...
germany: my grandfather visits there regularly coz of him fighting in the war and stuff and i seen some pics he took and it looks nice.
france: coz i wana meet a french guy with those moustaches ;)
america: coz i wana see bits and peices and theres people there i wana see
ireland/finland/europe: coz its got an attraction and i have people i wana see there too :)
new zealand: i was born their and have never been back there since moving to tasmania with my family when i was little.my mum and ha;f of my family lives there somewhere.i wouldnt mind going through the proper ways and tracking em down coz i havent seen or heard from em since 1995 :(
its goin to be a long process to save and go but i know that when i do...it will ALL BE WORTH IT!!!
[ 12 March 2003: Message edited by: *starfalls69* ]

I've had itchy feet for years.. and like starfalls said, working with international backpackers also makes the idea of travelling so much better.

I plan one day on doing the Europe thing.. but in order to visit all of that I need quite a bit of money, so thats a future quest for me.

As I have just got myself a fulltime job I am definately going to use some of the money that I earn and go on a bit of a small trip overseas.. then at least I have done something, tho I'm sure all it will do is make me want to travel more :)

My plans for my first trip is to spend a week or two seeing the sights of Hong Kong and Japan. Why? Coz I dont expect it to be quite as expensive as a trip to England/Canada and I also think that the culture shock will be a rewarding experience for me. I do have a friend in Japan tho, who I would also love to see again as he is married now with a little baby girl. Also being a huge anime fan it has made me desire to see Tokyo a lot more than I ever used to.. (never wanted to visit Asia before).

Now that I've made the decision tho, the rest of the year is going to be a long haul of waiting till the appropriate time to go :\

Oh, and anyone who could tell me any info about Hong Kong or Japan, in regards to places to visit, culture etc would be greatly appreciated coz I really have nfi atm heh :) (yay for new PM option)

stace.

i have very itchy feet.

Ok so I guess you could say that my feet are always constantly itchy (yes I get itchy feet as well as always having so much of a desire to travel it almost consumes my soul.). Everyone in my family has had a chance to travel extensively throughout the world in their lives whether it just means them travelling throughout a continent or them actually getting to live somewhere abroad for a long period of time (1-7 years). However I've been the only unlucky one that hasn't been able to travel a lot due to me being the youngest, and also just due to rotten bad luck.

The only place OS that I've been to is Bali, and that just made me hungry for more. Was there in 2000 for 3 weeks, and I got the biggest culture shock too! The first 3 days after I got off the plane, I was pretty wide eyed from everything I saw, but I still loved it. Everything from the cheap bargains, the weather, the spunky guys and girls (girls being the Europeans), the yummy food, the relaxed atmosphere, the ugly dogs, the customs and culture of the place, the clubs, bars, the drugs, the hotels, the language. Yep you could almost say I didn't want to go home!
I'll post more about this adventure one day when I have a lot of time.

As most of you people know (cause I have a big mouth ;)), Daimo and myself are going to London for 2 weeks in May. As a side trip as well we will be going to Paris for 3 nights during that time. Now normally I wouldn't go travel to London or Europe for that matter for just 2 weeks, but seeing as though a very good deal just fell into our laps! How could we resist?? During the whole time we are going to be absolutely run off our feet visiting sites, experiencing cultures as well as trying to catch up with family and friends. It won't be a resting holiday that's for sure, but it will be an experience and a half!

In the near or not so near future I would like to travel a lot. Infact it's become somewhat a neccesity for me if I want to get a job in the travel industry. Places I'd like to go are Croatia, Spain, Greece, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Canada, Mexico, USA, Egypt and South Africa. There's plenty of other places I want to visit, but I'll see how I go with those first. ;)

Ok I'll leave it with that for the moment, otherwise I'd be here all day crapping on about it...

The furthest I've been from home is Sydney! I think i have to wait for my travelling days.

I would love, love, love to go to Italy, maybe work there for a while and try to improve my Italian speaking. I'd also love to go to Germany as thats where the male side of my family is from, and although i hate my father and 'his side' i would want to go to 'discover my roots' so they say as well.
I definately have that nasty German temper and selfishness so who knows, maybe i'd fit in with them.

I've just quit my job and am leaving mid May for a backpacking trip starting in Europe. Hopefully I'll be moving on to Canada either at the end of this year of the start of next year (pending Visa).

I absolutely cannot wait to get going - I'm going to be meeting up with four of my best mates in London, three of whom I havent seen in a year! We're going to be in Isle of Man for the TT motorcycle race, so if anyone else is going drop me a line and I'll pull you a beer! (I'm working in a pub over there).

After the race we're going to buy a cheap car or motorhome and go cruising through Europe, looking for work where we can, and partying very, very hard! %)

I'm mega keen to meet some local (and travelling) BL'ers along the way, so I'll be posting in the regional forums. Any Aussie BL'ers wandering around Europe this summer?

HC

My Canadian work Visa arrived yesterday :D

I so can't wait for this....just getting away from everything and starting a new life overseas...it's gonna be such a culture shock, but bring it on :)

In 4 hours i'll be heading to Sunny London.... gotta be better than melbourne at the moment! Pity i have to do a uni essay on the plane but at least i'll be doing something constructive with that 20+ hours. Hooray for Itchy Feet, catch y'all later!
:D :D :D :D
Transit stop in Singapore 8( 8( 8( stoopid SARS:X

Am in the proccess of renewing my passport so when I graduate in June I can look for work overseas - yay!

Congrats to those who are scratching that itch: Tabernacle, Donny Don't, Highway Child, Pekkie & Daimo - have a great time the lot of you, remember to write to bluelight and come back healthy! =D

My next places to go will be Finland, Sweden, Norway, Danmark, Iceland and eastern europe.

Travelled a bit in Asia two years ago, HATE bali.... its a shit hole anyway, these hawkers never leave ya alone....

Malaysia was my favourite country so far... very cheap and different, and foods....mannnnn yummy!

Love Singapore too..... for the foods only :D

Urbanhog %)

Bluelight Travel Guide

I'm a self confessed travel nut - I love it - I don't do it as much as I did before my son was born - but whenever I get the chance I hope in my car and just drive. I don't care where, as long as its somewhere I've never been before.

One of my fondest memories is of travelling around the Greek Islands - I don't think I've ever been to another place that captivated my soul as those islands. The lifestyle, the climate, the culture and the people - I actually cried at the airport when I was leaving Athens. I was quite lucky cause my mother is from Greece and so I had relatives all over the place - so accomadation and food was cheap ;)

I remember sitting at old cafe's on the islands talking to old men over a turkish coffee about days gone by. I remember visiting old monastries on the back of donkey's - in complete awe of the beautifully painted fresco's - some painstakingly restored from the white washed era of the Ottoman Empire. Swimming in the crystal blue sea of the Agean and tasting some of the finest seafood I've ever had. These are the things that are firmly etched in my mind and will forever live on in me - hopefully one day I will re-unite my soul with them :)

I'd like to travel overseas again - I often dream of taking a year off and travelling around the world. There is also so much of Australia I want to see aswell - like the west coast.

Locally the Great Ocean Road holds a special place in my heart - so many memories, so many adventures - on a hot summer day nothing satisfies more than hoping in my car and just driving to Apollo Bay - no particular reason but to just soak it all up :)

So what are your travel experiences, where have you been and what places touched you?

p.s - I hated the mainland of Greece.

top thread =D

I’m not going to reply to this fully because I’m tired and I have to go to bed soon so I can get up and catch my plane tomorrow.

I love anywhere that is rich in tangible history, I like to be able to press my hands up against walls that have stood there for centuries, to imagine how many others have brushed past the same spot. I like rocks that have been crafted out of time, places that hold cultural significance (especially the pagan places of the British Isles), crumbling castles and ruins, stone circles and places renowned for purported psychic phenomena/ghosts.

I think the most beautiful thing about travelling is that you always get the chance to fall in love all over again, with the people, the culture and the very place you are visiting and just like dating a hell of a lot of the time the adventures bomb out but it’s still fun along the way.

I need to do Europe again now I’m old enough to fully enjoy it and take it in, I will always go home to England and I plan on doing some of America next year.

Locally I’ve done the entire east coast to Cairns, through the centre form Adelaide to Darwin with the requisite side trip to Uluru and Kata Tjuta, I’ve done Perth (albeit only briefly but I will be going back in Feb). I love this country more than any other place it’s so diverse and challenging and there’s so much more I want to see despite already travelling most of it.

So much for not replying properly :p I’m gonna shut up and go to bed and when I get back from holidays probably talk a load more.

PsychoKitten said:

....places renowned for purported psychic phenomena/ghosts.

Oh yeah, now thats something I really look out for - whether overseas or here - and I love graveyards - the older the better - so rich in history and past lives!

i'll (hopefully :)) be going overseas (europe, america etc.) in the next couple of years, so i should have some interesting stories to tell then...i'm planning on staying the longest in england, france, and the u.s. i'm excited...

sorry i have nothing further to add to the thread, but my travelling experiences 'til now are somewhat lacking...

I wouldn't call myself a travel nut because I love Australia too much. I've been to a few places and am looking forward to holidaying in a few more.

I went to Indonesia when I was 17, I stayed in Jakarta which is a very corrupt city, with an absolutley huge gap between rich and poor. there are people living in small stick shacks and others in huge mansions with perfectly maintained yards and servants. And seen mothers holding their babies in the middle of busy roads begging the traffic for money when the government is soo rich. The good thing about seeing this country was to learn about a culture much different to ours and it gave me alot more respect for Australia. (made me very patriotic).

Visited the old US blah blah nothing much exciting there, also went to Hawaii at the same time. This place makes for a great summer holiday with friendly people, white sand and crystal clear water.

In '04 I should be heading to the more affordable destination, New Zealand to visit friends and see the spectacular Milford Sounds waterfalls on the South Island. I also want to stay in Cuba and Italy for their cultures. It is a must for me to see alot more of Australia, driving to Uluru etc. And lastly the Bora Bora Island tahiti, very exotic! A great honey moon destination! hehe. My list will probably grow and I'll proabably get offers to go to places I wouldn't of expected to visit. That's the beauty of life.

Mirage and I got back from Europe a couple of weeks ago. My family is German, so I have been there a few times before, but It was Mirage's maiden voyage ;)

Judging from his reactions, I would say he definately would recommend the places that we went to, which were Hamburg (north germany), Birmingham, London and Paris.

Hamburg would have to be one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to in terms of buildings, and architecture. The fact that the city is only low rise, is built around many many canals and rivers, and hence has more bridges than venice, makes it a pleasure to walk around and admire. The downside as with many other cities is the large amount of homeless which will always bring you back to reality.

London is london, with funky shops, and lots of australians ;) way way too expensive.. but hey- the best way to see london is with the hop on hop off city bus tours, there are two companies which service these, and they take you around all of the major sights with an excellent commentary of the history.

Paris is beautiful, but unfortunately the rudeness of the people is such a major deterrent that I would honestly think twice about going back there. I speak a little french... but omg.... anyways, as with london, the best way to see the sights is with the hop on hop off bus tour :)

All in all, my favourite place that I have been in the world would still have to be Thailand. I intend on making a return there, to spend more time in the northern parts of the mainland. Phuket and Koh Samoui are absolutely stunning, the Andaman sea providing a fantastic place to go snorkelling in. People call me crazy, but I also love Bangkok with its busy, and dirty hustle bustle =D

Sorry about the endless dribble, but I get a bit carried away when it comes to travel ;)

I love travelling too - the only downside is that I can't afford to take that much time off work to do it now, so I was lucky to have done the travelling I did whilst I was still at Uni.

Most travelling was to Malaysia, namely Penang, prior to Australia. Small island up north - the pace is slower than other Malaysian cities and food and shopping is even cheaper.

Scandinavia is expensive in most aspects, but so worth it too. Spent a month backpacking around Sweden and Norway when I took 2 weeks off uni, and had the best time - the fish market in Bergen was interesting and nothing can describe the awe one feels when walking around the old palace/fort in Oslo - the city's 1000 years old and the history is just rich and interesting. The down side - the trip was quite a sober one since alcohol in Scandinavia was expensive as.

Hong Kong and Tokyo were just like any metropolitan cities - with their own culture but the food is something else you'd have to try. For Tokyo - the only bad experience I had was training to Roppongi during peak hours -- bad idea especially if you're claustophobic AND agoraphobic. But overall a nice experience - and Tokyo doesn't have to be expensive either.

Fiji isn't like the other island destinations like the Caribbean but it has its own charms - in certain areas it felt like I was in India, but the different islands are the best - idyllic settings, clear water and white sandy beaches... your very own private beach. And honeymoon/elopment destination too ;)

If I get the chance to travel again, besides returning to Australia, I'd like to have a jaunt through Eastern Europe, and the Balkans. *looks longingly at backpack*

Belisimo - driving to Uluru is an unreal experience. in fact the entire drive through the Northern Territory is awesome :D. What's Bora Bora like in terms of expenses?

mmmm.... travel

*cough http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49880 cough*

There are so many places I still want to experience. Right now Turkey is working it's was up my list - so much cultural richness and history, not to mention great food and coffee :D

I still want to return to Costa Rica - I have to show Cuddles what I'm on about! Beautiful people, amazing rainforests and volcanoes, laid back approach to life and fantastic coffee (notice a trend here?).

I could wax lyrical all day but I shall refrain ;)

:)Smiley