• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Bipolar I disorder and cannabis

What I have found is that long term cannabis use with bipolar, or PNR use of cannabis with bipolar is healthy given it does not lead to depressed states or extreme paranoia that can border schizoaffective disorder. I have been a long time consumer of cannabis as a form of medicine and it has helped me far more than it has harmed me... all I can say on this one is smoke until it starts to hinder more than help. It's important to always bring set and setting into play and to remember that psychologists and psychiatrists LOVE diagnosing people with illnesses that are essentially human emotion... natural, raw emotion and brain activity. Take anything a doctor says or incepts into you with a grain of salt. They call me bipolar, schizophrenic, crazy... I call myself normal as normal can be. You have to decide if you fit in the DSM-IV box... in my humble opinion, it's a major scam and an overall insult to our individuality and personal integrity. It's much easier to prove to a doctor that you are crazy rather then to prove to one that you are sane... who are these lab coated goons to say whose sane and who isn't? A bit pretentious (such is life) if you ask me.

It all comes down to an individuals' body chemistry and the strain being used. I'm bipolar and I use cannabis and it helps even me out. I try to stick to Sativa dominant strains whenever I can. The trick is to find a reliable source and/or grow your own. Just a quick shout on the subject as I could go into much greater detail. And always, everything in moderation.

It all comes down to an individuals' body chemistry and the strain being used. I'm bipolar and I use cannabis and it helps even me out. I try to stick to Sativa dominant strains whenever I can. The trick is to find a reliable source and/or grow your own. Just a quick shout on the subject as I could go into much greater detail. And always, everything in moderation.
Yeah that is very true. I have access to the same strain all the time and practically get it for free with the low price and the little I am smoking. It seems it doesn't really matter THAT much which strain I smoke (weak ~90% indica strains preferred) as long as I keep the dosage constant and don't switch strains. Switching strains after months will ALWAYS lead to some form of affective shift. Usually that means hypomania, no matter if I switch from Sativa (e.g. Kali Mist) to Indica (e.g. Afghan Skunk) or the other way around. It really puzzles me why that is.

I also must've said earlier that if I smoke only a little too much (more than my usual 1/10 gram) I get crazy depressed the next day. The first thought on my mind, before even opening my eyes would be about suicide. But miraculously since I have been on lamotrigine and bupropion this doesn't happen anymore! I can smoke a shit ton of pot and would only feel a little tired the next day. Not even booze makes me depressed anymore, which even in small amounts had always been 100% reliable to cause some form of depression for ~3 days.

Lithium didn't work at all, but with lamotrigine pot can't possibly make me depressed anymore. Still not really sure if it's a good thing or not that I've been smoking daily for 15 years and how it affects the illness in the long term.

True. I've been using for the same amount of time. It's good to take breaks from time to time. Just recently took a 2-3month break from using. I have a high tolerance. Hydro is the way to go for me. Usually have my own supply, but over the past year I've had some bad luck with stink bugs. Did manage to have a small amount here and there, but mainly I've been buying off and on. And we all know how expensive that could be, especially with half my check garnished due to bankruptcy. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I've been tiding myself over with alcohol, but that becomes boring quick. Just nowhere near the same buzz. Prozac burn out sucks!!