Mental Health Bipolar Disorder Mega Thread

hey paranoid android, you've seem to have been around the block as far as bipolarity and the sickening confusion it can bring to the mind.

If you don't mind me asking, which medications have you found best for quelling symptoms such as having no idea as to what to do with yourself yet still wanting to do something, a lack of attachment to the outside world in any sense, and a constant delusional esque paranoid way of relating yourself to others. Kind of like constantly fighting an imaginary war between yourself and others brought about a spider web way of thinking if that makes any sense.

It's cool if you don't want to, it's just that you seem the type that may be/or have experienced symptoms such as this based on your user name and what you've posted a few posts back. Whichever you decide, I wish you progression on your endeavors.

I really wonder sometimes, is the way of a paranoid android a manifestation of a counter balance to the way of a "normal" state of being?

Also, this thread doesn't seem too active but I just want to with those suffering from bipolar illness and any mental illness for that matter the best. The best insight I can offer is that even though you my be constantly kicked in the balls, we all know that time moves along, and so can you as it's only logical. The worst aspect of this mental illness is that we are exposed to many horrible truths all of the time, and with that comes horrible/conflicting emotions.

However, with vigilance to find medications that work well with you, you can move onwards. The hardest step from there is accepting your unique state of being and forcing it upon something you enjoy. You must smash through that wall.

Ahh, to much fucking jibberish. I'm just glad I finally joined bluelight as it seems there are so many real people here. I very much appreciate you guys allowing me to voice my concerns and thoughts on this illness even if you might be thinking, "Well, here's some more useless shit to skip over".

Hi im diagnosed with bipolar since 2004,its a nightmare to deal with im currently prescribed olanzapine 20mg and zopiclone 7.5mg.I think that bipolar is a very unpredictable illness as your mood can all of a sudden be very high(as if you had taken lots of amphetamine)or very low to the point of feeling suicidle.For me personally stress is a trigger,if im put under any sort of stress i become unwell so at all times i try to avoid this.

Hi, welcome to TDS (and the bioplar thread) :)

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your bipolar disorder and what triggers an episode in you, that's really good! Stress can be a trigger for many psychiatric illnesses, I'm glad you are trying to keep your life as stress-free as possible. Do you feel that your current meds are helpful?

Hi effie,i would say that my current meds do help me out quite a lot as whilst i am compliant with them i stay off the psych unit.I most definately need the sleeping tablet more than ever though at the moment because i have been having terrible nightmares for the past year or so,this is due to my past as a child being abused and a year ago came out of a very abusive relationship.Its been said that my bipolar has been diagnosed because of my childhood which i reckon it has.Iv been on the psych unit several times the last time was last february when i left my ex,it was terribly hard thet time for me as i knew that i would have to start over again being rehoused etc.I was in hospital for 3 months in all and in that time with the help of my cpn and social worker i regained my life back,i got my own flat and got the stregnth to begin my new life.Im really happy now as im free of my ex whom was a control freak as well as many other things and im finally living how i want to at long last.Im my own boss now and i feel in control so i try to avoid any stress at all times so i dont end up back in hospital.
Hi, welcome to TDS (and the bioplar thread) :)

It sounds like you have a good understanding of your bipolar disorder and what triggers an episode in you, that's really good! Stress can be a trigger for many psychiatric illnesses, I'm glad you are trying to keep your life as stress-free as possible. Do you feel that your current meds are helpful?

That's fantastic to hear! Sounds like you have had a really tough time in the past, but it's so great that things are improving for you. It's an amazing thing to feel in control of your own life <3

CPNs can be great can't they? (I'm from the UK too, that's community psychiatric nurse to everyone else hehe) - really glad yours helped. Glad to hear it about the meds too.. but I am sorry about the nightmares :( are you having couselling or any therapy?

Your right about CPNs they really come in useful at times,i didnt have a clue about just how much support they can actually give you if and when you may want it.I suppose i was quite iggnorant about CPNs when i was first diagnosed in 2004,i thought they were just being to nosey in my buisness but in fact they can take away so much stress from you.Iv grown qquite close to my CPN as she has worked with me from day one back in 2004 so its quite some time to get to know somebody.I cant really say that im easy to get close to,but shes very understanding with me at all times im grateful knowing i can turn to her no matter what happens.Im apparantly on waiting list for psychology but i reckon thats no time soon with the NHS as itn is,im actually at the moment looking into some private therapy,i dont mind if im paying for it,after all it cant do me any more damage than iv already got eh? Im actually quite proud of myself as a year ago this month i was on the psych ward trying to regain my strength after leaving my ex,also kicking a heroin habit too.Im so much further in life now than i would have imagined me to be back then i honeswtly never thought id be able to come this far,im so happy compared to back then,feel much better kicking heroin habit,im eating well,sleeping well etc.

Bipolar isnt an easy illness as you could probably guess,mood up and downs,bad sleep,hearing voices,auditry hallucinations etc,the list goes on and on.The one thing i know is that im unhappy having to take pills to keep my sanity but im just happy to have a mood thats at one level as it can be so so drainging both mentally and psychically,so i dont mind taking my pills.

hey paranoid android, you've seem to have been around the block as far as bipolarity and the sickening confusion it can bring to the mind.

If you don't mind me asking, which medications have you found best for quelling symptoms such as having no idea as to what to do with yourself yet still wanting to do something, a lack of attachment to the outside world in any sense, and a constant delusional esque paranoid way of relating yourself to others. Kind of like constantly fighting an imaginary war between yourself and others brought about a spider web way of thinking if that makes any sense.

It's cool if you don't want to, it's just that you seem the type that may be/or have experienced symptoms such as this based on your user name and what you've posted a few posts back. Whichever you decide, I wish you progression on your endeavors.

I really wonder sometimes, is the way of a paranoid android a manifestation of a counter balance to the way of a "normal" state of being?

Also, this thread doesn't seem too active but I just want to with those suffering from bipolar illness and any mental illness for that matter the best. The best insight I can offer is that even though you my be constantly kicked in the balls, we all know that time moves along, and so can you as it's only logical. The worst aspect of this mental illness is that we are exposed to many horrible truths all of the time, and with that comes horrible/conflicting emotions.

However, with vigilance to find medications that work well with you, you can move onwards. The hardest step from there is accepting your unique state of being and forcing it upon something you enjoy. You must smash through that wall.

Ahh, to much fucking jibberish. I'm just glad I finally joined bluelight as it seems there are so many real people here. I very much appreciate you guys allowing me to voice my concerns and thoughts on this illness even if you might be thinking, "Well, here's some more useless shit to skip over".

Sorry i missed this so forgive the late reply.

The medications i take to control my bipolar are lamictal, seroquel, clonazepam and wellbutrin. This cocktail keeps me more or less normal and able to live a life without fucked up mood swings. That is unless i go fucking with the dose of the meds or forget to take them or think i don't need them. I know what you are talking about when you describe how you feel but you put it into words far better then i ever have. The closest thing i can describe the worst symptoms i get is like being trapped in a thought loop and trapped within your own body and mind. I have felt at times that i would die simply because i could not stay in my own skin. For that anti-psychotics as well as benzodiazepines (yeah they are horribly addictive for some people but Ive been on them for ages with no trouble) help alot especially used together. Hence why if a patient get's admitted to a psych hospital you might get abit of lorazepam with your haldol to shut your brain down.

As for paranoia and how i relate to others i still get the paranoia occasionally but i don't have any problem relating myself to others. I used to get depersonalization to the point where i felt like a ghost and even felt like i was floating. There where times when i was not sure who i was at all or how i should act towards other people. I have trouble remembering how i felt about this because these feeling went away with my anxiety. Depersonalization and derealization are often caused by anxiety. However during stressful situations i have gone off the deep end thinking about both perceived and real enemies. I live in Atlantic Canada not south central LA so why the fuck would i be sitting in the basement looking out all the windows with a 12 gauge shotgun and a knife? Fucking paranoia fueled by real threats can be a dangerous thing indeed 8(

So all i can say from my experience is to keep trying to find the right meds that work, lay off the drugs especially stimulants and just try and chill out. Even if your head is racing like a hamster in a wheel :\

Has anyone here ever had their dose of bupropion increased to 450mg's a day and if so did they notice any improvement from 300mg's to 450mg's? I have been thinking about maybe increasing the dose of bupropion i take but hopefully the added bit of seroquel will help the anti-depressant effects.

Hey. Going through a terrible low point right now, don't know what to do with myself. Found this thread and have read every post and I came to think of something, since I didn't see anyone mentioning it...

Is anyone else plagued with a constant identity crisis because of their bipolarity? Going from owning the world and feeling totally omnipotent, to a pathetic amoeba that can't even muster go shopping because everyone in the world hates you, including yourself... You've all been through it I guess so I don't need to explain it really. But who am I? Am I that social, creative, motivated person who always has new exciting projects going on or am I the unlovable junkie with a pointless life and no future?

The truth is probably somewhere in between but since I never feel inbetween, it's hard to get an objective view. I have absolutely no idea who I really am. Do you people ever experience this?

I was diagnosed in 2004 with Bipolar and i can totally see where you are coming from with what you have wrote on here,i had lots of gradulouse beliefs,thought i was rich,i was an angel,the list goes on.It all felt so real to me and the weird thing is that i can remember every little bit what went on back then even though my mind was somewhere else so to speak.What i do know is that the highs are absoloutly draining and i am in need of at least 3 days sleep afterwards whilst i seem to come down from my high points.In my own sort of a way i sort of have the belief that having Bipolar is in a way like a sixth sense?its as though youre mind opens up to other places does this make any sense to anybody else please?x
Hey. Going through a terrible low point right now, don't know what to do with myself. Found this thread and have read every post and I came to think of something, since I didn't see anyone mentioning it...

Is anyone else plagued with a constant identity crisis because of their bipolarity? Going from owning the world and feeling totally omnipotent, to a pathetic amoeba that can't even muster go shopping because everyone in the world hates you, including yourself... You've all been through it I guess so I don't need to explain it really. But who am I? Am I that social, creative, motivated person who always has new exciting projects going on or am I the unlovable junkie with a pointless life and no future?

The truth is probably somewhere in between but since I never feel inbetween, it's hard to get an objective view. I have absolutely no idea who I really am. Do you people ever experience this?

Oh yes we go through it and me personally wouldnt wish this upon my worst enemy its so hard to live with,not knowing who you really are.
Extremely relevant to me. Yeah, I completely get it. My mood is constantly different and my whole personality seems to shape around my mood but it's always changing and I lose my sense of who I am, it's so confusing.

Extremely relevant to me. Yeah, I completely get it. My mood is constantly different and my whole personality seems to shape around my mood but it's always changing and I lose my sense of who I am, it's so confusing.

This indeed.

@Pammy and Effie: What does CPN stand for? (I'm from USA.)

I wonder if there has been any sort of update with DeathDomokun... :<

I am bipoalr 1 with psychotic features and currently prescribed: lithium900mg/klonopin4mg/temazepam30mg/geodon60mg/promethazine25mg and suboxone for withdrawl from pain managment, I am very impressed at the open nature of this subcommunity that is this thread, any way i was wandering about peoples expiriences with lithium, and the odd way it seems to make me feel, is this a well tolerated mood stabilizer? ive played the medical wheel of fortune game for 10 years just curious about effectiveness and sides

Does anybody here ever go to sleep feeling "stable" and wake up in a massive depressed state? this seems to be the standard for me recently, it takes most of the day to get my shit toghether as far as feeling mentally sound, it definitly falls in line with the above about generally feeling like a different person, in tune when i go to bed if i do, and wake up near suicidal scribbling in my notepad about what troubles me, only to reread it later when ive changed moods and embarass myself at the things i thought and the outloooks i had, but its a ever revolving cycle.

Nice words of wisdom to describe it nelson! totally get where you coming from..i thought i was alone.I can write up so much jibberysih about it although i might just be wasting your time.
You know when your feeling on top of the world and look back when your depressed and think wow i cant believe i felt like that and what the hell was i thinking ... ive been up and down so many times ,point being i always try to leave notes and communicate with the depressed me to get me feeling better (notes,pictures,songs,inspiring words, letters), its a nightmare while depressed i don't want to go out or do anything at all, my better side has all the answers and holds all the keys, drive, motivation and personality for success yet its asleep at the moment ffs and everything's out of order like the bad ol days again walking the path of suicide daily yet i wont become their statistic don't worry.I don't know if this is turning into a rant..i haven't been feeling good at all for weeks, sniff ,atleast you guys gave me the inspiration and courage to post something for change.joy :)

Does anybody here ever go to sleep feeling "stable" and wake up in a massive depressed state?

Probably but i havn't noticed,its usually the other way around.. ill wake up more stable then wake up being depressed. About your lithium question, Its an old drug to treat mania and works very well just the side effects can be horrible and cause damage to your liver..it put me in a zombie state and everything tasted like salt, i didn't like it one bit and swapped.They are all crap, you just need to find something that works well enough with minimal side effects..but you probably already knew that.. all the best.

Here is an interesting perspective on bipolar diagnosis and mental health generally.......

Behaviorism and Mental Health

An alternative perspective on mental disorders | PHILIP HICKEY, PH.D.
Bipolar Disorder Is Not An Illness

DSM’s criteria for a manic episode are given below:

A. A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

(1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
(2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
(3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
(4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
(5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
(6) increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually)
or psychomotor agitation
(7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for
painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual
indiscretions, or foolish business investments)
C. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode

D. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in
occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or
to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic
features.

E. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a
drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g.,
hyperthyroidism).

Note: Manic-like episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant
treatment (e.g., medication, electroconvulsive therapy, light therapy) should not count
toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder.

The manic episode is an important part of the DSM system because it acts as the basis for a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. DSM lists several variations of Bipolar Disorder, each with its own specific criteria, but in general, if a person has had a manic or hypomanic episode, he has bipolar disorder.

Let’s take a look at criterion A. This criterion calls for a distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated expansive or irritable mood, lasting at least a week… The DSM defines elevated mood as: an exaggerated feeling of well-being or euphoria or elation. Expansive mood is defined as a lack of restraint in expressing one’s feelings, frequently with an over-evaluation of one’s significance or importance. Finally irritable mood is defined as being easily annoyed and provoked to anger.

So the very basis for a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder is either feeling particularly good about everything or feeling particularly grumpy and angry. How can the same illness manifest itself in such completely different ways? And bear in mind that these are not relatively trivial, incidental aspects of the so-called illness. These are the defining features. The very essence of bipolar disorder – according to DSM – is an episode of profound happiness or an episode of profound grumpiness and irritability. This is indeed a strange illness.

But let’s move on to criterion B. This provides a list of seven specific “symptoms,” three of which must be present for a positive diagnosis. (Incidentally, if the mood problem in criterion A is “only irritable,” then four items are needed from the list.)

This practice of providing a list of symptoms and specifying how many must be present in order to provide a diagnosis is very common in DSM and raises obvious difficulties. First is the arbitrariness of the number chosen. Why three? Why not two or four? The answer, of course, is because the APA says so. The second objection is that different groupings of three will generate very different presentations. For instance, a person meeting criteria 1, 3 and 4 will be grandiose, overly talkative, and somewhat scattered in his choice of topics. Whereas a person who meets criteria 2, 5, and 7 will be sleeping very little, very distractible, and will be maxing out his credit cards in unrestrained buying sprees. The notion that these two presentations are in fact manifestations of the same illness is untenable. This is particularly so in that the only justification for this position is that the APA say so.

A more important difficulty stems from the question: Why should these problems be considered indications of illness? Let’s look at each of the so-called symptoms in turn.

1. inflated self-esteem or grandiosity.
In this context it is worth noting that one of the “symptoms” of a major depressive episode is “feelings of worthlessness…” So if you haven’t got enough self-esteem, you’re depressed, but if you have too much, you’re manic. This raises the question: how much self-esteem is OK, and how much (or how little) is pathological? Who decides? In practice, of course, intake workers at mental health centers and hospitals make the decision, and the decision-making is intrinsically subjective and unreliable. In an informal way, we have all encountered individuals who are “full of themselves” to an obnoxious degree. Intuitively we attribute this kind of behavior either to an attempt to mask a marked sense of inferiority or to poor socialization training during childhood. The notion that this character trait is really a symptom of an illness is an extreme position for which the APA offers no proof. Indeed there isn’t even an argument. The APA simply says so.

2. decreased need for sleep…
This is a complex subject. A great deal has been learned about sleep but much remains unknown. Sleeplessness might well be an indication of some neurological damage or illness, but might on the other hand be simply a reflection of individual differences. There are numerous reports in history of prominent individuals who managed perfectly well on four or five hours sleep each night. Others need eight or nine. It would require a neurological examination to determine if a particular sleep pattern were pathological or a variation of normal. But even if a pathological condition were established, this would indicate a neurological condition, not a so-called mental illness. It is also worth noting that a “decreased need for sleep” very often is nothing more than excessive intake of caffeine or other stimulant drugs.

3. more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
We’ve all encountered individuals who talk too much – who hog the conversation. This phenomenon is best conceptualized as rudeness, i.e. a disregard for the normal conventions that direct social intercourse. This particular form of rudeness is usually the result of poor training during childhood. Small children sometimes talk excessively and try to dominate social relationships in this way. If steps are not taken to train them towards a more give-and-take approach to conversation, they often carry this trait into adult life.

4. flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
DSM defines flight of ideas as: “A nearly continuous flow of accelerated speech with abrupt changes from topic to topic that are usually based on understandable associations, distracting stimuli, or plays on words. When severe, speech may be disorganized and incoherent.”
It’s clear from this definition that the real issue here is not so much flight of ideas as flight of speech. Most people in fact experience flight of ideas on a fairly regular basis. It’s called stream of consciousness, and it flows like a babbling brook, swishing and eddying around twists and turns, over rocks and sand banks, endlessly changing and shifting. Even as I write these words, for instance, my thoughts have flitted to actual streams and rivers I have known. The problem is not that the person experiences a bewildering array of successive ideas, but rather that he puts these ideas into words. Most of us learn to censor stream of consciousness material at an early age and to confine our speech to items that have meaning and relevance for our listeners. A small number of poets and song-writers have managed to make a good living by dispensing with this kind of censorship, but most of us confine our verbal utterances to those ideas that have cogency and relevance for others. We call it discipline or self-control. Once again, it is lacking in small children whose early speech does indeed reflect stream of consciousness material. Proud parents are usually delighted with this initially, because it represents a major developmental breakthrough. Most parents, however, fairly soon begin the process of training and coaching that results in what we would call normal speech. If this training does not occur or is thwarted or frustrated for whatever reason, then the individual grows up without acquiring this skill. As with many skills normally acquired in childhood, it can be extremely difficult to learn in later life.

This facet of the manic presentation then is best conceptualized as a deficit in training and socialization, rather than a symptom of a medical condition.

5. distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
This is essentially the same thing as the flight of ideas discussed above. The effect of splitting this phenomenon into two separate “symptoms” is to increase the likelihood of a positive “diagnosis.” Remember, it takes three (or more) symptoms for a diagnosis. If a person displays flight of ideas, he will almost certainly also meet the criteria for distractibility. So you get two hits for the price of one. The primary purpose of DSM is to generate business for psychiatrists.

6. increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work, or school, or sexually )or
psychomotor agitation.
Most people would probably see an increase in goal-directed activity as a good thing. Painting the garage or mowing the yard is better than vegetating in front of the television. But this is not quite what the APA has in mind by “goal-directed activity.” Elsewhere in the text they describe goal-directed activity that is “excessive” and as examples they mention: “ taking on multiple new business ventures…without regard for the apparent risks…,” “…calling friends or even strangers at all hours of the day or night…;”
“…writing a torrent of letters on many different topics to friends, public figures, or the media.”

It is clear that the real issue here is not goal-directed activity as such but rather irresponsible and inconsiderate activity. Once again, responsibility and consideration for others are attributes that we acquire during childhood through the normal methods of parental discipline, coaching, role modeling, etc.. When we see a person displaying a marked deficit in these areas the most parsimonious assumption is that his/her training and discipline in these areas was for some reason neglected or deficient. The notion that the person is ill is certainly not obvious. The APA offers no proof or even arguments for this position.

7. excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g. engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments).
Once again, what’s involved here is what most people would call irresponsibility: the kind of behavior we try to discourage in our children through the normal time-honored methods of discipline and example. The notion that these kinds of irresponsible and self-indulgent behaviors are in fact caused by a diagnosable illness is quite a reach. Bipolar disorder, like most of the other DSM diagnoses, is not something a person has, but is rather something that a person does. It is constantly presented by the APA, and by practitioners in the field, however, as something a person has (like diabetes) and something that is best treated with drugs.

The fact that lithium has a calming affect on individuals who behave in this manner is often cited as proof that the behavior in question really does stem from an illness. The logic is untenable. A couple of beers can be very effective in helping shy people overcome their inhibitions. Very few rational people would conclude from this that shyness is an illness and alcohol a “medication.” In addition, lithium has a calming effect on all people – not just those who carry a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

Lithium carbonate is a salt – found widely in nature – and until 1949 was sold openly in the United States as a substitute for table salt. Besides having a salty taste, lithium salt has a calming effect on people’s behavior. With regards to the latter, the mechanism of action is unknown. There have been numerous proposed theories, but none has produced conclusive evidence or gathered much support.

In some respects the shyness/alcohol analogy mentioned earlier is even more apt. The chronically shy person can acknowledge his problem and take corrective action using the normal time-honored methods of effecting personal change. Or he can simply drink a couple of beers before every social situation. Either solution to the problem will work. Similarly the manically irresponsible person can acknowledge his problem behaviors and tackle them in the normal way – or he can take lithium carbonate. The latter is often quite effective in dampening the behavioral excesses, but like the alcohol, it also has some long-term side effects.

The central point of this and my earlier posts is that there are no mental illnesses. There are problems of living – problems that human beings encounter, sometimes resolve, sometimes live with. The so-called mental illnesses are an attempt to explain or understand these phenomena, but as explanations they are spurious, unhelpful, and indeed, counter-productive. They are merely labels.

A perfect analogy to the mental illness explanation of human problems is the phlogiston explanation of fire or the witchcraft theories of illness and crop destruction. The popularity of a concept is often independent of its validity. The phlogiston theory of fire is a good example. This theory, which held sway among scientists during the 1600’s and most of the 1700’s, maintained that combustible objects contain an element called phlogiston which was released when the object was burned. Non-flammable objects simply didn’t have this substance. Towards the end of the 1700’s evidence was gradually amassed to debunk the theory in favor of the oxygen-combination ideas of today. Many scientists, however, including Joseph Priestley (the discoverer of oxygen!), tried to cling to the older theory. Similarly, in former years, sickness and crop failures were often attributed to witchcraft. Here again, we have a spurious theory, i.e. that sickness and crop failures are caused by the actions of these so-called witches. Such thinking – back in the days – was very widespread, and witch-burnings were popular events. But the concept was nonsense, and today, thanks to science, we have a better understanding of the causes of illnesses and crop failures. Popularity is a very unreliable barometer for conceptual validity. Phlogiston doesn’t exist. There’s no such thing as witchcraft. And there are no mental illnesses. Fire, however, does exist. Crop failures and illness are realities. And human problems of living are real. People are complex and diverse and the problems we encounter on our journey through life are also complex and diverse. Some of the problems we meet are relatively minor and easy to deal with. Others can be truly overwhelming. Some are indeed medical problems and require medical help. Others do not.

The so-called mental illnesses are problems that do not require medical help. The medicalization of all human problems of living is as spurious as the phlogiston and witchcraft theories mentioned earlier. It is also counter-productive. Drugs are not an effective solution to life’s problems any more than the burning of so-called witches was a solution to crop failures or illness.

The medicalization of all human problems is about turf. The American Psychiatric Association is the psychiatrists’ trade union, and has as its primary agenda the promotion of its members’ interests. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with this – all trade associations do the same. That’s why they exist. The problem with the APA, however, is that they have been so successful. At the present time one would be hard pressed to identify any problem of human living that is not covered by a DSM “diagnosis.” The purpose of these diagnoses is to legitimize psychiatric intervention and the prescription of drugs in any and every human problem.

At the risk of repetition, I am not saying that people should not use drugs. It is not for me to tell people what they should or should not ingest. These are decisions that people have to make for themselves. What I do object to, though, are the spurious notions that these pharmaceutical products are medicines, and that they are being prescribed to combat illnesses.

Hi just thought I'd say a little hello seeing as I've been diagnosed bipolar 1 a few years ago. I always knew there was something not quite right with me mentally but refused to admit it, I also thought bipolar was just an excuse celebrities used when they got caught doing coke.
Since age 17 I've had several suicide attempts, some where I really wanted to die, others as a cry for help as I have always found it difficult to talk about my feelings.
I've had periods of hypomania where I've been energetic, productive and happy. And a lot of episodes of full blown mania with psychosis - getting more frequent in occurrence, longer lasting and more severe over the years.
Thanks to one psychotic manic episode I lost custody of my eldest son, this is the worst most painful thing that has ever happened to me and I hate myself for not seeking help and preventing this from happening. Rather than push me to seek professional help I went further off the rails and began drinking and sniffing virtually everyday. I then found myself pregnant - result of that reckless sexual behaviour. Embarassingly I have no idea who the father is. However, this pregnancy was the trigger for me seeking help, I was hurting badly from losing custody of my boy (still am) I wasn't going to let this child down.
I moved back with my parents and was pretty much on lockdown throughout the pregnancy. Near my due date my psychiatrist put me on chlopromazine and clonazepam.
3 days after giving birth followed 2 years of trial and error cocktails landing on Quetiapine xr 800mg daily and 1500mg Episenta daily.
I had a hissy fit after gaining 4 stone, stopped taking my meds, and promptly went off the rails. Major meeting with CPN, psychiatrist and parents ensued which resulted in a 2 week stint in respite psych care and commencing priadel - currently at 600mg daily. I'm also prescribed clonazepam prn up to 4x a day, I never take that often - don't fancy a benzo addiction. And 7.5mg Zopiclone as needed for sleep.
I have to live with my parents so social have no concerns over my baby staying with me as I have them for help.
My Mum has to keep and give me my meds as I can't be trusted due to my history of suicide attempts and because I have stopped taking my meds altogether before now, which is fair enough I like the support.
I have an excellent CPN at the moment, really trust her and she seems to understand and offer me useful advice. Before her I thought all CPNs were shit and useless.
I have my eldest son in the school holidays, better than nothing. Just a pain that his Dad messes with my head constantly - he's a control freak and plays mind games.
I seem fairly stable at the minute - but to make the most from medications and therapy to minimise the impact bipolar has on my life I should really stop using amphetamines everyday. I know I'm not doing myself any favours abusing amp, but I enjoy it and it helps me through the day. Guess I'm psychologically addicted :(

Sorry for the essay guys n girls!
Hope you're all in a good place and if not hope you get to one soon.

Manicmama

I don't want to go back on meds. Is there something else that I could do to balance out my manically depressed symptoms i've been having for FUCKING years?

How much would an MRI to map my brain activity cost? Is a psychiatrist better than a psychologist? Has anyone found CBT effective?

^
Obviously you're looking for a medication free way to manage you're symptoms, so I believe a psychologist would be more beneficial to you than a psychiatrist.
This is because many years ago, pre diagnosis days, I was referred to a psychologist after yet another suicide attempt and my parents could not understand why I either wanted to die or treat life as a giant party all the time.
What I can remember from those sessions is a LOT of talking, my family, my past, did I really want to die when I OD, you get the idea. However I was unco-operative and only went a few times to get my parents off my back.
I am now under a psychiatrist and CPN - my 1st few appts with my psychiatrist were discussions regards my past behaviour, family history of mental illness, current state. Once she felt she knew enough to correctly diagnose me she prescribed medication. Every appointment with her since has been a brief chat about how I am, how I'm finding the medication and finishes with either a new prescription or instructions to stick with current meds. All talking in depth is done with CPN - who refers me to the psychiatrist if she feels meds need adjusting.
So from my experience (albeit brief with the psychologist) is that a psychologist uses talking and offers advice and a psychiatrist prescribes medication. This is only MY experience though.
I've never tried CBT, but I have heard it is good, however I only feel comfortable talking about my feelings and personal stuff with my current CPN.
As for the cost of an MRI it would depend where in the world you are. The only advice I can offer is find out which hospitals local to you do this and give them a ring to find out.