• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

27 miles today.

tired of this crap, check craigslist for a trek multitrack 700 or 720 in good condition. about the most bang for your buck you can get. sorry you're having bike frustrations. giant, specialized, and cannondale have similar models.

check out what the guy did with the trek 700 he bought from me ...

IMG_0418.jpg

the process ...
NSFW:

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

he changed everything but headset, wheels, chain, and rear derailleur. new breaks, new drivechain (1x at that!), new handlebar (dropbars), new tires (my tires were awesome for city riding; he is using it for some sort of gravel racing now), new rear shifter, new pedals. right now, the saddle and seat post are the same, but he said he plans on changing them. the parts are on order.

he did a good job. it looks awesome. he said he's not selling it; he's keeping it for himself. because the frame fits him perfect. it's a good frame. 90s were the golden era of bike frames. his name is ernesto. his company is kuma bicycle company and his personal project website is secret stash. he deserves credit for such great work.

yesterday was its maiden voyage after the conversion. i hope he keeps on liking it. even though i was not the original owner, i put over 1k miles on that bike and a lot of work into it. happy to see it live on in a new and fun form.

the before ...

IMG_0799.JPG

above has the original tires and shifter on it. i had changed to slick wheels and replaced the shifter because it broke ...
NSFW:
bike4.jpg

all photos can be clicked to for full size without leaving the site. i used the message boards resize tool to keep them at 800px wide.

Last edited:
So has this thread yet evolved to the very important issuance of denunciation to bike riders who ride on the streets like normal cars?

if you wanna be like fubar. ruin the planet and waste your money like a hardheaded wimp, but comment about it on youtube. we don't want to hear your tough-guy-on-the-internet nonsense here.

driving a car in chicago or nyc is dumb. i get where i'm going twice as fast as drivers. they sit in traffic while i ride. plus i park my bike both on the go and at home for free. drivers pay over a dollar for every stop and $100 - 200usd a month for storage. and that street parking money goes to spain, not the city.

Last edited:
if you wanna be like fubar. ruin the planet and waste your money like a hardheaded wimp, but comment about it on youtube. we don't want to hear your tough-guy-on-the-internet nonsense here.

driving a car in chicago or nyc is dumb. i get where i'm going twice as fast as drivers. they sit in traffic while i ride. plus i park my bike both on the go and at home for free. drivers pay over a dollar for every stop and $100 - 200usd a month for storage. and that street parking money goes to spain, not the city.

Ma'dam, you do not speak for everyone. And the latter-half I agree with you. Perhaps a more ... nuanced approach is needed with you.

perhaps.

funny thing is, driving skills tends to be proportinal to car size. you'd think pickups would be road hogs, but they know how to share the road because they don't want to lose their mirrors. best are bus drivers. buses and bikers have a silent understanding because we share the right side. if i hear a bus behind me and see people at the stop in front, i know to move over so the bus can pull to the right and stop. and when a bus is stopped and sees me coming, they know i'm faster off the line, that if the have enough time to get up to 30mph and pass they will be in my way again at the next stop anyway, so they always wait for me to pass before they start.

it's the people in the civics who drive like maniacs, take up the whole lane, and pull to the right when stopped. in general. always exceptions. some very courteous drivers in compacts, of course.

don't get me wrong. cyclists can be rude and stupid too. as often if not more often. there's no classes to get a biking license. there should be. though the government would make it a waste. and charge, so the people who can't afford cars would be the ones who have trouble paying the class fee.

the fact that mistakes on a bike kill you more often than in cars should teach people in itself. emphasis on should.

Last edited:
21.5 miles today. was sunny but cold. a bird tried to fly through my front wheel. when they are spinning i guess they look clear. the death was almost certainly painless. the wheel spinning so fast and the spokes so hard and thing. poor birdie.

21.5 miles today. was sunny but cold. a bird tried to fly through my front wheel. when they are spinning i guess they look clear. the death was almost certainly painless. the wheel spinning so fast and the spokes so hard and thing. poor birdie.

Whoa, that's crazy. Did you decapitate it?

i did not stop to look. i was going about 18mph. i have no idea how many wheel rotations a second that is. a lot. it's unfortunate, but there is no way it lived long enough to suffer. like flying into a giant fan. i need to cheek my spokes to make sure none of them are bent.

27 miles today. rode a lot in the old and amrtrack train section. with green lights or widnows. felt like death by infection, which is appropriate.

Got another hill ride in today. I may have already said it somewhere but the last hill I go up is fuckin killer. I couldn't make it all the way up the first time I tried it.

got new pedals. due to a deal rei was having, they were pretty much free after buying my dad a safer helmet.

probably not going to be able to sell my old ones. between opiate, benzo, and disso addiction, i've had enough crashes that my old pedals barely resemble biking equipment. still, gonna try. they work, and five dollars is five dollars.

new%2Bpedals.jpg

@Gloomp do you ride?

23 miles today. but i got a lot done. lines for everything due to the virus making it so only so many people can be in a building at once.

between my helmet, mask, sunglasses, and backpack i look like a bank robber out there. about everyone does these days.

Last edited:
Managed 6k today on my mountain bike. Legs were jelly from my workout in the am so I was gassed before I was half way lol embarrassing

27.5 miles today. highest elevation gain today from riding up skyscraper parking garages.
Managed 6k today on my mountain bike. Legs were jelly from my workout in the am so I was gassed before I was half way lol embarrassing
start somewhere. you did a lot more than most. congrats.

someone post a picture of their bike, please.

at first i wasn't so sure about my new pedals because the sharp studs make them so sticky. now i love them. can't believe i rode with pedals without pins. by pins i mean these ultra tiny bolts that stick into the soles of your boots. if you live in chicago this time of year, you wear boots not shoes. though the seasons are a changing. i think they are adjustable so i can lower them for sneaker season. the little bolts/pins, that is. i hope so, or my sneakers are gonna get eaten up fast.

Last edited: