• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

brutus, when you have some cash 2gether, you might want to spend, as it will be in your best interest, a few months waiting for the right bike to pop up on your radar.
Do you need the bike in a period of time to get back and forth to work?

I completely forgot about this thread. Sorry guys.

I solely wanted a bike to help with exercising instead of going running. I would be riding on asphalt, both smooth and rough. I could drive my bike to work, but I live in the middle of nowhere and there's not even a craigslist that's available for my town or one within 45 miles.

I was looking along the lines of ordering a bike from Amazon. I would have to drive hundreds of miles to even find a bikeshop.

when i was searching these past couple weeks i found there was tons of great prices on amazon that included free shipping :)

Most of these places Beagle was so nice to compile will normally have better options than amazon for the money:

I purchased a mountain bike to use when I visit my parents from bikesdirect for pretty cheap (~$350) with actually a decent frame and parts (decent WTB rims, some XT, Avid BB7, and Rock Shox Dart), but they require a bit more wrenching. The crankset it came with was cheap, and I broke it fairly quickly, but those brand parts were actually worth what I paid for the whole bike. That kind of a deal is uncommon there, and you would have to kind of know what you are doing and keep an eye out.

Ordering a bike in general is tricky business if you don't already know what size you need. As bmxxx pointed out with his new bike, fit and geometry are very important to comfort and having fun. It wouldn't hurt to go by a bike shop and take a look to get a general idea what would fit you.

okay, new bike is 21.0" top tube, full chromoly, 25:9 gearing, 3p cranks, pivotal seat/post setup, etc etc etc.

Nice! I love new bikes. It will save your ass as well as get you into trouble ;). Do you know what grade of chromoly? I'm a big fan of steel frames, my Sovereign is made of Tange Prestige, which is a nice blend of stiff and giving.

My frame is a second generation Evil Sovereign. It is on the more durable end of all mountain hardtails (can be used for light down hill if the rider is experienced enough with 140-160mm travel in the front). I would totally give $160 for a new used bike like that. Dude probably broke his collar bone and is scared of bikes ;)

My frame is a second generation Evil Sovereign. It is on the more durable end of all mountain hardtails (can be used for light down hill if the rider is experienced enough with 140-160mm travel in the front). I would totally give $160 for a new used bike like that. Dude probably broke his collar bone and is scared of bikes ;)

Does that have the adjustable dropouts? It looks to be a crazy frame, regardless (for mtb, and i'll admit I have fuck-all for experience in that area... coastal FL sucks for up/down terrain, it's pure flatland here)
[note: I f'ing love their naming for another frame, the DOC or drug of choice LOL]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOOook, so I made too many posts earlier cuz I was ecstatic over this thing, I've deleted/edited said posts, cuz I jumped to wrong conclusions. I'm now 100.0% in the know on what this bike is, what the mods are, etc, so w/o further ado:

Bike wasn't partial chromoly, it is full (4130 chromoly, japanese/seamless) throughout the frame/forks/bars, and the rest of the specs are here: http://unitedbikeco.com/products/2012-supreme-su2-complete-bike/
It's an incredibly legit bike, model year is only 2yrs' ago but this thing is still beyond mint, I mean practically unridden.

In addition to the base-model / as-purchased being beyond great as-is, it has a handful of upgrades that're in the same ('like-new') condition, including:
- Odyssey gold chain (sadly, not a half-link chain, but that'll be swapped out within a week lol)
- Odyssey 'lincoln' stem... this stem blew my mind, i've never seen this before, it uses 2 bolts to secure the bars (opposite a hinge) and uses a really novel, single-bolt thing to wrap to the steerer tube. Check this link to look at this stem, I mean it's really the most 'novelty' part on the whole bike, it's forged alluminum, 'knee-friendly' (thank god), I mean it's really crazy. I actually have it upside-down cuz the handlebars on this thing are the biggest size they came in (onto the handlebars!)
stem: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/odyssey-lincoln-bmx-stem/rp-prod7403
- Bars are by Shadow Conspiracy, the Vultus model in the largest config possible (28” width and 9.5” rise) They were too tall for me, as i'm not that big (kid who sold it to me was over 6'), so by flipping that stem I effectively dropped them 3/4”, making the grip-height same as if they were 8.75” rise bars (which'd be about the half-way size for the full Vultus line)
https://www.danscomp.com/products/362333/Shadow_Conspiracy_Vultus_Bars.html
[and they've got ODI Longneck grips w/ ODI bar ends. I had ODI's on that white mongoose from earlier in-thread, and've used ODI's several times in the past, but frankly, i'm gonna swap these out sometime soon. The odi's are just too spongy when new, and yeah they wear-in nice but they wear so fast that the sweet spot doesn't last that long, then you replace and have the spongy grips again..
- Seat post is Animal (pivotal setup) and seat is Animal, this was a $65 setup and is awesome.
http://www.danscomp.com/products/470153/Animal_Nigel_Pivotal_Seat_(Nigel_Sylvester).html
http://www.danscomp.com/products/472100/Animal_Pivotal_Seat_Post.html

So yeah, i'm lucky as fuck right now. I wish I asked this kid why he was selling, but as shim suggested and I think as well, he probably tried bmx and got hurt, or just tried it and wasn't for him. I'd have asked, but I was only concerned it wasn't boosted lol, and yeah the kid was barely of driving age, shy/rich white kid, I had no concerns the bike was hot and, after assessing that, was only concerned there wasn't any hidden damage; verified the thing, and sent him on his way and went for the inaugaral ride lol.
Bike is perfect size, is ~24lbs, and I'd call this 95%+ 'like new' condition. I'm sooo stoked it's not funny. I did a wet paper towel rub down for a clean (it didn't even need that) and nothing needed tightening/tuning, only thing i've done was slightly tightening the chain, and flipping the stem/bringing the bars in a bit (i'm over 6” shorter than him haha), and raised the seat to fist-height above the frame (was slammed to frame, so presumably he either did lots of tailwhips and loved it low or, MUCH more likely, was a 'poser' and/or mimicked the videos, and kept it that low despite being a large/tall fella, cuz he didn't know any better)
$160 delivered to my door. I spent maybe 2 or 3wks on craigslist before this, so yeah just use craigslist folks, if you're poor-ish and want higher-end stuff. Have patience and know how to buy and you'll make out grand :)

[edit: funny thing is that, after a day or two of purchase, i checked the ad for some of the specifics i wasn't usre of. I noticed the ad mentioned 2 plegs, and 2 steel pegs, none of which i received... not that it would be *close* to relevant (i'd have purchased this, at this price, if it didn't have front/rear wheels lol!), but I figured maybe i'd grab those 2 plegs (i'm amateur, i only do plegs[plastic-wrapped pegs] not steel cuz i only ride street), and sadly I cannot find his number anymore :( Not a problem or anything, but a kick in the knees cuz they were prolly in his car and we all didn't think of it. Sometime early in the week I'll be ordering a new chain anyways, and ebay has plenty of sellers w/ the chain i want, that also have pegs for <$9, so 2 pegs plus chain + shipping will still be about $40, and at that point the only thing i can even think about, if i wanna go to excess, is hub guards.. ..... 'note to self: check if any of these sellers have hub guards!'] [[double-edit: lol, ebay has them all day @ $9 (free s/h), so yeah this'll have half-link chain, 2 plegs, and 2 hub guards by end of week :) ]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Im probably never going to ride this setup. I cant imagine worrying about me trying to find some jumps or speed bumps to huck over.
It ( frame) is a 1995 Dyno slammer I bought new. Rims are an inappropriate build for anything but a fancy bike because of the radial lacing.
I don't have any reason to ride a 20in bike right now.

Fits in the car better =)

Also, that wheel would be pretty pimpin on a 20in folder.

Shiny Shiny

bmxx, do you have pics of your jumps?
If you don't, thats OK, I know you don't have a good camera right now.

no i don't :( I would restore the shit outta that Dyno, jesus that wuold be worth doing just for doing it, even if you just put it on the wall or sell it restored!

[beagle- also, i'm still in the burbs and ride by myself mostly, so nobody to even take pics of my half-ass amateur riding.. i can occasionally hit 180's, i can do like 5' grinds (err, 'could' last year, haven't put plegs on this new one yet and hte pegs on that mongoose were burled / not for grinding); i mean really i just shred around and do hops up stairways (3 steps is best i'm doing on this bike), down stuff, and barspins which is probably what i'm best at. Hardly anything that'd be noteworthy enough for pics lol :) ]

SOOoo, my brother loved my bike and asked me to get him one, too. His was $225 (well we only paid a few bucks' over $200 lol, gotta love craigslist) and is a bit more worn than mine, but otherwise almost identical- same frame dimensions, mid-level brand, handful of aftermarket parts (s&m, snafu, shadow, alienation, etc), i'm soo stoked but kinda jealous cuz, i'm not sure why but somehow, his is definitely lighter than mine. mine's 24lbs and there's no way his can be under 22, even that would sound suspicious, but it's notably lighter when you hold both :| Anyways i'll snap shot of it soon, i'm stoked for him and now we both have identical size bmx bikes, and our fixies are same brand and under 1" difference in frame size, so i kinda wanna be a dork and take a pic of all 4 of our bikes :D

I got a nice bike.

Needs some love though.. been having problems with the hydraulic brakes especially with the humidity and stuff not sure how to bleed them properly. I brought her in to a shop and got totally ripped off.... :( those crappy bike mechanics don't know how to fix anything, fml. I know how to fix it but I don't have the tools :( so my friend might help me out. It's been like biking on a training bike. It's killing my legs these 20km rides... some nights

Last edited:
Bleeding is really easy. You can usually get a bleeding kit for pretty cheap online. You just need to make sure you buy the proper hydraulic fluid for your type of brake, and make sure things line up or you may make a mess. Juicy's are really common, so just go to youtube for a basic video. It is super easy and fast. If you do any sort of serious riding fix those suckers.

Lol bmxxx, you all are going off =) Have fun, but try harder tricks on the grass first maybe ;)

Many people who like to ride call it the x+1 syndrome

haha yes actually there's a spot that i've got for trying new things and it lands in grass (and is like 1' drop-off before the grass, so is perfect for trying new tricks) Am prolly gg there tonight, because i've been having a lot ocv trouble throwing barspins on this bike.. I already know the difficulty is because the bars are 28.5" (ie, about the widest you can buy, and meant to be cut-down) but have my hacksaw on the floor right now and intend to get them to ~27" tonight :) Also I went to get pegs yesterday, cuz i'm used to this bike and ready to be grinding again, but the axles were too thick for the pegs i had on the mongoose, so i've been missing out on lots of moves, and got these no-name, full-plastic pegs... I just installed those a couple hrs ago, and am very curious if they're gonna break or not.. I usually rode 'plegs' last year when bmx'i g (pegs w/ plastic sleeves), and yesterday i found one shop that said they had them- i get there, and they're not steel pegs w/ plastic sleeves, they're *full* plastic pegs, w/ an alum or alloy end, so am unsure if these are gonna work (or last... or be safe lol) but $20 for a pair i couldn't pass that up :)

Depends on the plastic, and if the hardware connecting to the bike is alu or w/e. They would be light, and may work ok. They will of course wear faster, but may work better if the price is right.

Depends on the plastic, and if the hardware connecting to the bike is alu or w/e. They would be light, and may work ok. They will of course wear faster, but may work better if the price is right.

it's an aluminum base iirc, but at same time i'm pretty light so wasn't too worried. last night i did 4 grinds on them before getting a weird pain in my back lol, but they held up just fine and slid like butter :) Couldn't shorten my bars tho, I went ape-shit on them w/ a fresh hacksaw blade, they didn't even dent! guess Shadow makes some solid-ass bars!

I'm getting a bike very soon. Is there anything you guys think I should watch out for?
I'm 5'8 (172cm) but I have relatively long legs... what size should I get ? A 20"/L frame? I'm not looking for anything specific, just wanna know what to look for.

Last edited:
The humidity has affected your braking performance? I just moved to central florida from near the border of Canada and had the same problem. I figure that it is the air in my lines. During the bleeding procedure try tapping the brake lines with a screwdriver near the bends in the lines to force the air outta your lines. Air expands contracts with the change in temperatures.

Well when I got the bike off my friend I think he left some air in the lines (on purpose), before for going a ride I'd just have to pump the brakes to bring the pads closer and never had any trouble. He said he did it because of the humidity levels, on hot days it would expand too much. Humidity is horrible here (extra +10 deg C outside easily) and feels like the dewpoint most of the time.

Since I brought it in the pads rub against the rotor constantly making pedaling/rolling anywhere "difficult". I don't think there's any air in the lines.

They told me some lame excuse at the shop saying my wheel is crooked... hard to believe.