• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

If you use a PGP inhibitor (I used omeprazole, or generic Prilosec) for a few days before dosing loperamide, IT WILL CROSS THE BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER. PGP (permeability glycoprotein) is what blocks loperamide from reaching the central nervous system. I have tried this myself and so have a few of my friends. The high is more of a knock-you-on-your ass, extreme nodding, very little euphoria, similar to fentanyl. The high is very long acting too: you will still feel it when you wake up the next day. Try this: take 2 capsules of omeprazole daily for 4 days. Then dose with about 48 loperamide pills. It's a silly thing to do, but it will get you high, eliminate withdrawals, and of course satisfy your curiosity.
I know this has been mentioned before, I'm just validating what others are saying. IT DOES WORK.

update. one year sober now. self will doesn't exist. please seek help guys it gets a lot worse. i tried to commit suicide about a year after this post, it does get better if you seek the help and be open-minded to anything. i cannot stress enough open-mindedness.

First I wanted to respond to the "100 pills of anything is dangerous" comment. You have to remember, loperamide isn't meant to abuse adu it only comes in 2mg pills - that's why you would take 100, it only comes out to 200mg, people take more than that when they take one extra strength Tylenol. I'm sure all the fillers in the meds aren't great for you, but considering the fact that people turn to heroin to keep away from withdrawals, I'd take 200mg of over-the-counter meds than a street drug any day.

But yes, this does work. I actually have been on pain meds for 7 years, and loperamide actually works better for my pain than actual opioids. I'm curious why... All I know is the side effects are miserable - dizziness, nausea, lethargy, and overally just feeling like shit - but anyone who's gonever through withdrawals could tell you, I'd rather feel this type of "like shit" than the withdrawals type of "like shit" any day. At least this type of "feeling like shit" makes you feel good too, while withdrawals make you wish you'd die lol. I suppose it's the same as taking too much drugs will make you sick but you can be high at the same time.

Anyway, I use loperamide when my prescription runs out. I've only used it ra few days in a row (200mg/day) for the few days that I'm waiting for my prescription to come in. I wish my pain meds worked as well on my pain though, is bittersweet when my meds come in - I don't have to take loperamide (that shit is disgusting to swallow!!) but at the same time my pain comes back.

I'm always constipated anyway because of opioids, today I got my first samples for opioid induced constipation. I'm excited to see if any of them work!

Take care everyone :) Be safe. And I wish I never had to take pain meds, if you're curious about getting high or are looking to abuse them, just don't. You'll regret it... There's nothing worth getting stuck in the pain med rut!!

Honestly, I wish I just had to battle "addiction." Actually, I'm not addicted, im physically dependent. I fucking HATE these meds, opiates, etc, but I hate the pain I have more. (And anyone that wants to lecture me about mind over matter, they have never experienced what I have, with my condition rasking higher than cancer when it comes to pain.) If I was ever lucky enough to be pain free, I'd taper down so quick and feel normal for once! I guess I wish people realized how lucky they are that they CAN stop, and be normal. I can't stop taking medication and just go on, I'd kill myself from the pain. Ugh.... well, hopefully my opioid induced constipation medication works :)

First I wanted to respond to the "100 pills of anything is dangerous" comment. You have to remember, loperamide isn't meant to abuse adu it only comes in 2mg pills - that's why you would take 100, it only comes out to 200mg, people take more than that when they take one extra strength Tylenol. I'm sure all the fillers in the meds aren't great for you, but considering the fact that people turn to heroin to keep away from withdrawals, I'd take 200mg of over-the-counter meds than a street drug any day.

I feel like I should point out that this is really, really dangerous logic. When it comes to drugs, you have to think about them in the context of their therapeutic window--not the total amount. 200 mg of some over the counter substances (like loperamide for that matter) could absolutely kill you. Taking a therapeutic dose (or just using it in moderation) of some street drugs is definitely safer than megadosing with 100 times the therapeutic dose of over the counter substances regardless of their relative amounts by weight. The biggest dangers of street drugs are their impurities and mislabeling, so there's a possibility to accidentally poison yourself. Taking 100 times the therapeutic dose of over the counter meds is almost certainly poisoning yourself (with a few exceptions like Vit C).

IF YOU ARE TAKING MORE THAN 200mgs LOPERAMIDE A DAY PLEASE READ THIS. YOU ARE AT SERIOUS RISK OF DEATH IF YOU KEEP IT UP, THIS IS NOT FEAR MONGERING!! I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!

HEART FAILURE. This is the #1 risk with loperamide abuse and I'd say the only serious one, but god is it fucking SERIOUS! THIS is the problem with taking tons of loperamide, not constipation or any silly things like that.

Effects such as muscle weakness, weird eye effects, lightheaded-ness when abusing loperamide are all symptoms of its QT prolongation at high doses. Now, doses BELOW 100mg do not cause any of these effects (at least in my experience), so my hypothesis is is that once you reach the 150-200mg range with loperamide, the QT prolongation starts to take effect. And since loperamide has a huge half-life and you're using all these crazy potentiators, it just builds up until you get those infamous cases of heart failure from long term loperamide abuse at doses of like 300-400mg.

Now, will it hurt a little withdrawal-wise to suddenly taper down from huge 200-400mg doses? Yes, it probably will. But this is your life we're talking about... I did it, so that must not only means its possible, but pretty damn easy. I used to use 400mg a day, now I'm at 50mg and feel fine using that, and have none of the symptoms of qt prolongation. I find that again, the high 100mgs range is when these problems start appearing, so say if you'are at 200mgs, you could just go to 175mg then 150mg, and so on and so forth. Yes it will not be easy, but your life is worth way more. The withdrawals won't even be full fledged doing this, I tapered like that and only got flu symptoms, no mental anguish or RLS or insomnia, and YOU WILL EVENTUALLY STABILIZE ON YOUR TAPERED DOSES! And the goal is after that happens, to taper off this crap altogether, which is the step I'm working on now. :p

Really, if you can get ANY other opioid to taper off with, that'd be ideal. I used to be big into kratom then poppy tea, but loperamide is cheaper than even those two already cheap legal opioids. But of course if you're doing loperamide then you probably don't have access to those, or else you'd be doing those instead. Sorry if I came across as rude or invasive, but I don't wanna see another life lost due to this stupid crap, going through a few days of mild sickness is way better than experiencing heart failure, at least I hope in your mind it is...

I take anywhre from 40-100 mg lope EOD, and i can attest to the eye effects. at high doses, I get nystagmus when i try to look far to either side in my periphery. Quite unsettling. I have never thought i was guna die, but upon taking too much, i have definitely gotten very ill, puking, and was very sedated for an extended amount of time following it.

Loperamide at high dose has no discernable effect on bowel movements. Really, less than true opioid. Fyi, latest studies show it crosses the bbb at just 60 mg.

update. one year sober now. self will doesn't exist. please seek help guys it gets a lot worse. i tried to commit suicide about a year after this post, it does get better if you seek the help and be open-minded to anything. i cannot stress enough open-mindedness.
Are u ok ? Who knew an anti diarrhea medicine could destroy so many lives.

Loperamide at high dose has no discernable effect on bowel movements. Really, less than true opioid. Fyi, latest studies show it crosses the bbb at just 60 mg.

Are you joking ?
Even a few mg make me constipated for at least a day, I don't even want to imagine what would happen if I take 10mg or more..

New member and lope addict here. Been taking upwards of 200 2 mg pills per DAY for over a year. That's 400 mg a day. I haven't taken any since Wednesday. I was woken by my husband-he was in a mass panic-he said I stopped breathing. Next day he sent me the articles about the heart issues. I'm grouchy, docs here have no damned clue this exists and I'm going cold turkey. I can't sleep. But I'm alive and so very lucky. I have small kids and too much to live for. Is there another (better) place for this?

New member and lope addict here. Been taking upwards of 200 2 mg pills per DAY for over a year. That's 400 mg a day. I haven't taken any since Wednesday. I was woken by my husband-he was in a mass panic-he said I stopped breathing. Next day he sent me the articles about the heart issues. I'm grouchy, docs here have no damned clue this exists and I'm going cold turkey. I can't sleep. But I'm alive and so very lucky. I have small kids and too much to live for. Is there another (better) place for this?

Here is a ton more info on the cardiac issues that loperamide has caused:

https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...seaddiction-and-cardiac-conduction-disorders/

It is very worrisome that you stopped breathing in your sleep, you were likely experiencing a torsade de pointes heart arrhythmia do to largely prolonged heart Q-T intervals, and your heart probably stopped for a little bit, and luckily started again. Torsade de pointe arrhythmias are very very dangerous, and often leads to sudden death. Getting off that high of a dose of loperamide will not be easy, but it is very do-able. Try ordering kratom online, that should help with the withdrawal symptoms a massive amount, and it's safe in comparison to the poison that high dose lope. Or even if you could some how get on a methadone program (and then taper slowly off), that would still be a much safer alternative then continuing to play Russian roulette with loperamide.

What I'd recommend you do when visiting a doctor is printing out all of those loperamide heart issue case studies, so that you can potentially at least get some actual emergency care for what is potentially a deadly problem, and thus some comfort meds for the withdrawals if nothing else. (comfort meds like clonidine, and a short term benzo script of something like valium would be helpful) Also, get an EKG asap and ask for your Q-T interval length and also for any signs of arrhythmia's.

I've been in your position before when I was using only like 80-100mg of loperamide daily to maintain an opiate habit when I had nothing else available, I recall waking up many times gasping for air, pale and cold. Feeling really weak and fatigued all the time. Then I did some research and learned about the cardiac issues high doses of loperamide cause, and I switched to kratom and then slowly tapered off and am now opiate clean, you can do it to! Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Are u ok ? Who knew an anti diarrhea medicine could destroy so many lives.

Well, they do use morphine at the hospital if you have insane diarrhea. When I was in 5th grade, I caught one hell of a stomach bug, missed a month worth of days of school or so, and the teacher didn't do much to get me back where the others were. It ruined maths for example, I was so behind, I had my first and only failing grade in primary school, I got like 56%. Anyway, anger at my primary education out of the way, So after 15 days my dad took me to my paediatrician and he scripted me a couple things, one of them being morphine suppositories, the weakest ones, 5mg. I had some virus anyway, no bacterial infection. I could not eat at all, I'd liquishit everything I lost a lot of weight, only time in my life where, for a 5th grade, about the second tallest kid in school and so fucking thin, I looked close to malnourished, it's weird when I look back at those photos. I remember when I ate a piece of Pizza and my stomach stopped gargling automatically. The other med was something they sometimes give to someone doing a quick opiate inpatient detox, with just clonidine, promethazine and something for stomach cramps, I can't remember the name other than it started with D.

Even if your Lope addiction is real, at that level, it does cross the BBB a little, and is neurotoxic, it's close to Demerol analogues that are not used because they are too toxic.Plus what pbuilder said. Seriously though, not only is it a ridiculous thing to do to take so much Loperamide, it must be extremely costly! Surely you're not buying Immodium brand and ask for generic loperamide, which here pharmacist have behind the counter and it's still quite expensive for like 30, the one time I bought some for the occasional diarrhea that would last me much longer than a box of Immodium. I hear costco has those 100 count bottles for almost nothing, but I don't have a member card for costco, it's at the complete other end of my town, on the outskirts south almost one of the last buildings before it's 2 hours of mountains and pines.

Last edited:
^Methadone prolongs the QT-interval too, so not the best option, other than that really good advice :)

I'm sure that's what happened; I just got very lucky. I'm attempting to do this without trading one thing for the other. I did go Friday and had a checkup and EKG and, once again, I'm very lucky and all is well.

My doc is very holistic-I fight to keep my Zoloft script-I'm going to print and take things to her. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. She won't give benzos-so I'm working with my Buspar that I already have for anxiety. If only
I could eat and sleep it would help!

Thank you for not treating me like a crazy person. I was full ready with full disclosure and ready veins to be ran through the mill; she wasn't interested.

I'm also very lucky to have a supportive husband; he was right there with me. He's holding me accountable.

Phone died and last reply went wonky-the sleeping/eating thing is what's getting me now. I have to get something in me to have energy for pre and elementary school runs in the morning and afternoon.

^Methadone prolongs the QT-interval too, so not the best option, other than that really good advice :)

Oh I didn't say just go to MMT, there is opiate detox inpatient for a week with no opiates if you desire so, they'll give you tons of comfort meds and be surrounded by medical professionals so you're in good hands in case you get more cardiac effects. Or suboxone if you somehow convince the ORT doc you will meet that loperamide can be "abused" for maintaining. Good luck with that though, most won't even be aware it is an opioid.

It does, and so does suboxone actually, but I think it prolongs them a much lesser extent. Methadone is known to be relatively safe unless you are on an extremely high dose (150mg+). As far as cardio-toxic effects go.

High dose loperamide is really just uncharted territory. If that user could get on a methadone program, at least they will be supervised by a doctor. I think I remember reading that part of most methadone programs actually includes regular EKG screens to monitor for issues like prolonged Q-T intervals, and they tend to only show up when a person is on a really really high dose of methadone.

I think in the mean time, rather then continuing the high dose lope, if they could manage to find a methadone program or something, it would be much safer for the mean time.

I'm sure that's what happened; I just got very lucky. I'm attempting to do this without trading one thing for the other. I did go Friday and had a checkup and EKG and, once again, I'm very lucky and all is well.

My doc is very holistic-I fight to keep my Zoloft script-I'm going to print and take things to her. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. She won't give benzos-so I'm working with my Buspar that I already have for anxiety. If only
I could eat and sleep it would help!

Thank you for not treating me like a crazy person. I was full ready with full disclosure and ready veins to be ran through the mill; she wasn't interested.

Try to get a script for clonidine, it's unscheduled I believe so you shouldn't have any issues and it helps a large amount for opiate withdrawal symptoms. Trust me I know how addictive loperamide is, even though it isn't recognised as abusable yet to the average doctor. Mega dosing most definitely does pass the blood brain barrier and there are also potentiators you can use with it to make it more effective at passing the BBB. I was maintaining a decent opiate habit (fent, h, poppy tea) with only 60-100mg of loperamide per day to stay out of withdrawal at one point in time, it most definitely builds a serious physical addiction and the withdrawals are horrendous, so I can imagine that they will be really bad at 400mg a day, and not something to be taken lightly. I noticed loperamide seems to have a really long half life too, so the withdrawals only peak after like 7-14 days and then still linger for like a few months. It is hard to transition off loperamide at such high doses. Cold turkey is hell. I recall actually no longer getting effects from shots of H after I maintained with loperamide for a while, because it had raised my tolerance so much. But yea, kratom was the main thing that helped me get out of that hole I had dug myself into, as it was cheap and not abusable like normal opiates because it seems to have a ceiling effect. I recommend a red strain, red borneo/bali/khalimantan was my go to.

Last edited: