Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Beyond the universe, wut is eet?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
If the universe is constantly expanding, that implicates the material universe is finite. However what about the empty space, the void in which it expands into? If it's expanding, empty space must be infinite, yes?

What is empty space? In general "space" as we call it is not truly empty, however at the horizon of an expanding universe, beyond that horizon it is truly empty... Right?

Beyond the edge of the universe... Is literally nothing. If it's nothing, does it even exist? Nothing cannot exist, it is the opposite to existence. Is the beyond simply quantum probability?

Other than the singularity, before the big bang, what existed? Is empty space simply quantum possibility?

I've always wondered about. Like what if you were at the edge of the universe. Would you hit a "wall" of sorts? Or would your presence become the new edge of the universe?

the universe is just a construct dreamed up within pure awareness. Outside of the edge of our physical universe is awareness of emptiness before anything the big bang even consciousnesses itself was just pure awareness and that is infinity no limits nothing just awareness which is infinite and loving.

the universe is just a construct dreamed up within pure awareness. Outside of the edge of our physical universe is awareness of emptiness before anything the big bang even consciousnesses itself was just pure awareness and that is infinity no limits nothing just awareness which is infinite and loving.
Man, I wish I had been able to maintain my starry eyed newage idealism for as long as you :( its a little depressing now, but I found most of that empty words.

Man, I wish I had been able to maintain my starry eyed newage idealism for as long as you :( its a little depressing now, but I found most of that empty words.
kundalini yoga is not new age idealism read the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta_Gita. And practice just stillness or being eventually it will come.

Before i ever did psychedelics i was into kundalini yoga and had achieved a state once on it which was in hind sight a non dual experince. A flash of white light annhilated left me very depersonalized for months because i did not know what it was.

kundalini yoga is not new age idealism read the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta_Gita. And practice just stillness or being eventually it will come.

Before i ever did psychedelics i was into kundalini yoga and had achieved a state once on it which was in hind sight a non dual experince. A flash of white light annhilated left me very depersonalized for months because i did not know what it was.
What makes it new age is its been coopted from traditions of another culture with your own understanding with a mix of other eclectic stuff cherrypicked from here and there. Not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with it, you are probably less miserable than me

putting any labels on things which are just limited forms within the inconceivable infinite presence being is just adding more confusion to the mind. I recommend reading awakening to the infinite presence by robert wolfe. The western world view has been even if you are atheist effected by the bible and teachings of genesis which labels things good or evil the tree of knowledge etc. Nonduality transcends all limits all forms all relativity. That which is absolute. That which pervades all things the ever changing present moment that which all there is.

If the universe is constantly expanding, that implicates the material universe is finite. However what about the empty space, the void in which it expands into? If it's expanding, empty space must be infinite, yes?

What is empty space?
There’s no such thing as “space” only “space-time”. Where there is no one, there’s no other, so outside space-time there’s no space and no time either. Empty place that still has time going is not empty, it’s filled with vacuum and that’s still something.

Beyond the edge of the universe... Is literally nothing. If it's nothing, does it even exist? Nothing cannot exist, it is the opposite to existence.
There is not necessarily an edge, like there’s no edge to Earth, it could wrap into itself, one edge be a continuation of the opposite so travelling in one direction you’d return back from the opposite end.

Other than the singularity, before the big bang, what existed?
There was no “before” because time has started along with space during big bang that got the space-time thing going.

What is empty space? In general "space" as we call it is not truly empty, however at the horizon of an expanding universe, beyond that horizon it is truly empty... Right?

Beyond the edge of the universe... Is literally nothing. If it's nothing, does it even exist? Nothing cannot exist, it is the opposite to existence. Is the beyond simply quantum probability?

Other than the singularity, before the big bang, what existed? Is empty space simply quantum possibility?

Yes, the material substance of the universe is finite. Only a small part of the universe is matter. The rest is so-called empty vacuum. We can't see beyond the edge of the visible universe. It's possible that it goes on forever, beyond the possibility of ever seeing. However, we can observe background radiation, and as the universe expands, the background radiation appears to be cooling. This implies that the universe has gone from a hot, compressed state to an expanding, cooling state. In other words, matter and energy are gradually being lost to entropy, and eventually the universe will just be cold, inert elements like iron after all the abundant hydrogen and helium out there fuse.

There was an experiment done in the 90s, I wish I remembered the name. They found that in outer space, a container of perfect vacuum with no matter or energy inside would eventually spontaneously form matter. It implies that a vacuum isn't actually a vacuum. So space may not be totally empty. It may be teeming with strange matter and subatomic particles that spontaneously form more complex matter. We don't now 100% for sure yet.

There is also dark matter to consider. Something is holding the galaxies and local groups together that can't be explained by gravity alone.

As for what exists beyond the edge of the universe or what existed before the big bang, I think these questions are limited by human capacity. We are probably looking at something that's beyond our comprehension because of how we view linear space-time. The big bang theory is simply a hypothesis based on the inverse of this expanding universe we're seeing. It doesn't mean the universe was originally a compressed singularly. Maybe it was something else. Who knows?

I think the big bang theory is pretty religious in its proportions, even though it's based on reasonable assumptions. My opinion is that the answer will probably come when science broaches on metaphysics and so called "paranormal" things. I believe spirit controls matter, and spirit can create anything material.

What? 85% of the universe is Dark Matter, Einstein.

Not "empty space". That's why it's so dark in space, because Dark Matter doesn't reflect electromagnetic radiation(for example light)
anything you can see is a reflection of light to some degree, or emitting light itself.

Like at least start with learning the fundamentals of Astrophysics before you make theories about it ?

Last edited:
What? 85% of the universe is Dark Matter, Einstein.

Not "empty space". That's why it's so dark in space, because Dark Matter doesn't reflect electromagnetic radiation(for example light)
anything you can see is a reflection of light to some degree, or emitting light itself.

Like at least start with learning the fundamentals of Astrophysics before you make theories about it ?
I would argue that the dark matter is said to be much less than that, like 20%.

You know I love you and all, that Niv Mizzet sig is just... but you can’t really think that forming the argument that it’s dark matter because “it’s so dark” is going to hold up?

You know I love you and all, that Niv Mizzet sig is just... but you can’t really think that forming the argument that it’s dark matter because “it’s so dark” is going to hold up?
27% dark matter 68% dark energy. That is even if it exists or not. Till we have have found it we not not say it exists or does not exist its simply a theory that is not yet proven with all our best searches. Though imo i reckon dark matter and energy form the parallel worlds of quantum many worlds that still some how interact with the gravity of our universe.

the universe isn't expanding into anything. space itself is exapnding, so things are getting further apart (cf doppler effect).
nope there is matter beyond the edge of the observable universe but is causally separate from us. our light cones do not overlap.
actually nothing can still be meaningful, if i interpret you probably. which i almost certainly don't cos i'm too tired to work so posting on here. you can have an empty universe that rotates- it was godel's solution to einsteins field equations, which he presented as a birthday present and einstein fucking hated. *

quantum mechanics or any other physical law is restricted to our universe, meaningless outside. quantum probability exists in space (or whatever you've selected for the basis of your Hilbert space, you can consider momemtum or energy or spin if its more useful to your problem)- there's a probability that your entire body will 'tunnel' to somewhere else in the universe, so small we don't expect it to happen even once during the lifetime of the universe, but not that it will tunnel to outside of the universe.
i liked the idea that the universe is like a bubble in a sea of similar bubbles but i can't remember what its called and i think there are as many theories as there are cosmologists.

* edit: i just fact checked myself about this cos something was niggling me. i couldn't find anything saying godel's universes were empty, but they do allow time travel so they're still cool. i am sure i remember an empty rotating universe but cannot find it on the internet using the search terms that come to mind so take it with a pinch of salt, its possible that in the 14 years since i studied this that my memory has failed me.**

** edit 2: so according to the examples on page 304 of Time and Space by Barry Dainton the universes that have global rotation contain homogenous matter fields, so couldn't contain things like atoms and planets, i think this is my point of confusion. i really need to do some work now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
27% dark matter 68% dark energy. That is even if it exists or not. Till we have have found it we not not say it exists or does not exist its simply a theory that is not yet proven with all our best searches. Though imo i reckon dark matter and energy form the parallel worlds of quantum many worlds that still some how interact with the gravity of our universe.
https://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/aug/HQ_06297_CHANDRA_Dark_Matter.html

technically proven, we just can't get a hold of it.

No, that was a rimshot, I'm sorry
But if it would react to electromagnetic radiation, there would probably be a different colourscheme in space, especially around solar systems, close to what an atmosphere looks like.
But, ofc you're right. All we theorise is that the combination of dark matter and dark energy makes up a vast percentage of our universe.

I've always wondered about. Like what if you were at the edge of the universe. Would you hit a "wall" of sorts? Or would your presence become the new edge of the universe?

My guess is that the universe, like the planet and basically all celestial bodies, is a sphere of some sort. Ie, there is no edge because you would eventually return to the same spot if you kept going for long enough.

Beyond the universe one could possibly find the computer running the simulation.

Even if there was something beyond we'll probably never know because the information from there can't even get to us. Kind of sad, even here there are many galaxies we will never be able to reach since the space between us is expanding faster than the speed of light, they will eventually disappear into the darkness.

Unless of course there's a glitch in the simulation which allows us to spam friendly wormholes.

When I was a kid I always used to wonder what was under the earth, like within space but below the earth. I can imagine there being an end to the cosmos but there's a lot of mystery within it that I'm sure will occupy peoples' attention forever