• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Beta-blocker help/anxiety & benzos.

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Been reading that some people get relief from anxiety from Beta-blockers. I am currently on 10mg Valium and 0.25 Klonopin which I am withdrawing from very slowly. Would or can beta-blockers help with anxiety and could they ease benzo withdrawal? Also, I have asthma, it seems beta-blockers cant be taken with asthma although some reports on the net say its fine?

Any help on these questions would be great.

i ran into a study on ncbi showing valium was more effective at lowering blood pressure vs Propranolol and obviously same results for lowering anxiety as well

you can ride out the hell of well known benzo Wd or get on an anticonvulsant medication which will make your experience 5x better i used lamictal and barely noticed the withdrawal but anticonvulsants have some unwanted side effects that are not fun.

thats true never just quit- from what i experienced through withdrawal from the stomach cramps to the elevated blood pressure the mental withdrawal from klonopin was the hardest part ask about trying an anticonvulsant if you think you can handle the side effects so ask your doctor maybe suggest something like lyrica if they don't agree ask to try something in the same class low dose if you have to justify state you could be at risk for a seizure
don't worry you might expect slight short term mem loss

Last edited:
ideally i wish this user could keep their anxiety meds, but the shrink is prob gonna have it their way(look at me i have a degree). lol being serious i hear lyrica and gabpentin are good for anxiety lyrica is basically stronger, valium is a good muscle relaxer so something to calm nerves might be good.

I heard Lyrica can be bad for the heart and I thought it was meant for neuropathy? Wouldn't gabapentin/lamictal/carbamazapine/oxcarbamazapine make more sense as an anticonvulsant? Regardless, benzo withdrawal can take months from what I've read in this British article:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

I've been lucky enough to go from over 2mg of klonopin a day to zero the next day for a month till next refil, the moment right before you die in a nightmare is the only way to explain that feeling.

Thanks greatly for the informative and helpful replies :)

So it seems that there are a few meds to help benzo withdrawal and that beta-blockers dont actually seem that bad for an asthmatic. Am willing to try anything to ease anxiety as being stuck indoors is just horrid, nearly 2 years of being in my house now, cant even get to see the Dr who is half a mile away.....But he gives me phones consultations. The only other thing when the Nurse came round to do my bloods was that my estrogen was on the high side and Testosterone on the low side. Seems like on the net some people say Testosterone is amazing for helping anxiety, others say it makes it worse.