• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Best way to make use of a single 8 mg suboxone strip?

the seeker

Bluelighter
So I recently detoxed off heroin, was clean 2 months and then stupidly picked up another habit. This time though, my habit is smal. I've been doing about $20 worth of dope a day for a few weeks and the withdrawal when I don't have it is nothing like the way I felt coming off the gram a day habit I used to have. However, I am a total wuss when it comes to opiate withdrawal, and want to make this as painless as possible. I got my hands on one suboxone strip (actually, my buddy was kind enough to give me two strips but I somehow lost one on the way home) and so I need to know how best to use this.

Could someone give me a taper schedule keeping in mind I only have one? And how should I take it? If I IV it (which I know is bad but I've done it before with no ill effects) will that allow me to make this single strip last longer, or should I just take it sublingually?

Just take 2mg to start off with then taper 50% every 3-4 days until you are on .25-.125mg then stop.

Just take 2mg to start off with then taper 50% every 3-4 days until you are on .25-.125mg then stop.

Great advice. You might not even need a whole 2mg if your habit is small enough. Good luck man.

keep the dose low like wiggi said. if you take 4mg or 8mg your tolerance will go up, making it harder to detox. I suggest starting at 2mg, if that doesn't ease the withdrawls of your 20 bag a day then your dealer is doing something right.

Not having a huge habit is really going to benefit you. The suboxone really doesn't work well (sometimes doesn't work at all) for large habits. But for your situation, an 8mg strip should be enough to successfully detox you and without much discomfort either.

2mg's is definitely a good starting dose and that might make you completely well. But even if it doesn't get rid of the withdrawals 100%, you'll still be feeling much much better. It'll be minor discomfort at worst. Then like others said, start decreasing your dose until your at <1mg, (I find it easiest around .125) and hop off.

Less is more my friend! Take the lowest possible that gets you well and go down from there. Also DON'T IV it. That will not allow you to stretch out the strip because the suboxone will not last as long. Just SL it, the way it was meant to be taken because it works incredibly well.

try to get more than one 8....personally I'd search for that other one, if it's on the floor of your car and you get caught with it, it's a felony....I had a bottle of the 8 mg pills and almost got charged with them because my name rubbed off the bottle from having them in my pocket for so long...Luckily I found a copy of the script printout in my glovebox, cuz they were gonna charge me for the pills!

Man, I'm in a similar situation as you right now....With one 8mg script there's not much breathing room for you to adjust to dosage drops and that might be better actually, just keep cutting off smaller pieces until you're on miniscule amounts....Like Scagnattie said, if you do it quick enough, you might get away with minimal WDs....

I was recently using for under a month, but I was definitely doing more than 20 a day....I've been taking 2mgs a day for 2 wks now and I plan on starting to cut down in the next couple of days....I've been on and off these things for 7 plus years since I first got prescribed them, so I personally dont think it will be that easy for me, I have 22 2 mg strips left and 3 8 mg pills, so I have to force myself to cut back, you might be better off only having one....good luck....you'll probably have to put up with a little sleeplessness and anxiety though, TBH

Boy, I remember when I was addicted for a few weeks or a month at a time; and when going into full withdrawal, I would take one 8mg suboxone-and never go back to withdrawing after that. Of course it wouldn't take long; a couple of weeks later or the next pay day-and I'd b right back to square one-digging myself that hole yet again.

Well I took 2 mg and I feel completely well (maybe even a tiny bit high), no symptoms of wd at all.

Excellent man! If you're feeling legitimately high then definitely start lowering your dose. If I was you I'd be knocking down 0.5mg every day, but I prefer a short 3-5 day taper. Also, like Mass 08 said don't shoot the subs, they work perfectly sublingually and there's no rush like you'd get from shooting "real" opiates.

EDIT: When I say legitimately high I'm talking about the difference between feeling comfortable because your WDs are gone and actually feeling opiated. Not many people get a strong narcotic feeling for subs, but if you're one of those people definitely keep an eye on why you're using.

The suboxone really doesn't work well (sometimes doesn't work at all) for large habits..
So true. Jumping off 195mg/day of methadone to 24mg/day suboxone was hell. Took the damn subs 2.5 weeks to start working, and they are $10 a pop!!

I realize this is an old thread but i'll post this for anyone who may be reading this now. You want to go with the ROA that has best bio-availability (the route of administration that allows for the most bupe to cross the blood brain barrier). Of course that would be IV however it shortens the half life of the bupe to the point that it's not really a viable tapering option. In my research I have found that plugging (squirting it up your butthole) or snorting allow for the next best bio-availability with the least trade off in half life. You can find excellent instructions for both methods from other blue lighters.

I personally am a advocate of plugging, but if you're squeamish about things going in ur ass then put it up your nose. Start with a 1mg dose and give it about 30 min to kick in. If the WD's are still unbearable to another 1mg, but with a small habit 1mg should make you well enough to function. There is no way around some discomfort when tapering. The point is to do just enough so that the WD's are bearable.

At no point do you want to feel 100% well until the WD's are over. Tapering is about making the suffering just bearable enough to get through it, there is no magic wand that will get you off H with no discomfort. With only a single 8mg strip you're going to want to make that last as long as possible by doing the smallest doses you can. I've been in the same boat as you coming off a small habit and I fount that a 1mg dose was enough to get me through work. I would get through the nights with hot baths, weed and alcohol and just do that 1mg dose to get through going to work.

One thing to be aware of is that coming off a $20 a day dope habit is really not that bad. Three days of pretty bad but bearable discomfort and it's over. WD from bupe last MUCH longer than WD from heroin. DO NOT BECOME DEPENDENT ON SUBOXONE! If you don't have to go to work or you can take a few days off I would seriously consider cold turkey as an option. There are many WD remedies that can help you get through it. But if you must, start with 1mg doses and after three or four days go down to 0.5 mg doses. After that, 0.25 for a few days and stop. If done properly you may not even need the whole 8mg strip. The good thing about strips is they are very easy to divide into exact dosages.

Just remember that WD are temporary and the only feeling better than H is the feeling at the end of that awful three days when you can wake up one morning not dependent on anything to get through the day.

Best of luck and positive thoughts going out to anyone reading this!

Last edited:
When I was in prison I learned how to make the most out of an 8mg strip. as prices for ridicoloisly expensive. Many people totally underestimate the strength of bupe. I break a single strip into 16 pieces, each 0.5mg. What I usually do is out the tiny piece on a spoon with a couple drops of water , use a staple to stir and dissolve, and put up my nose. Surprisingly this gets me very high for hours. You reach a point with bupe that you get the same effect from for example taking a quarter of a strip and taking a half of a strip. ..I feel that was a waste of 2mg as It seemed identical to taking a quarter of a strip. Even with a tolerance to heroin, I can easily get sartisfaction from 1-2mg ..