• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best method for getting through opiate WDs...

TwanBeezy

Greenlighter
I have been through nasty WDs from opiates (heroin, Oxy, Vicodin) on several occasions and I therefore have had many opportunities to try different things in helping to make it a little it easier. Ultimately, I found that withdrawal is never going to be completely pleasant, but if a person has the resources, there are ways to make it manageable to the point where it won't feel like hell on earth; you will just feel pretty crappy for a few days.

In the past, I have used immodium to deal with the runs and that works wonders. I prefer the pill form and you could buy a bottle of 96 or so for about $20 at CVS Pharmacy. The pills are real small so they are easy to pop. I took about 20 of them and I did not have the runs at all. Some people claim that it helps to slightly subside opiate withdrawal also. I noticed that a little bit maybe but it also could've been because I didn't have to run to the bathroom all the time, which made WDing much more comfortable.

However, I think the best two things to have for opiate WD are these: Xanax and some form of pharmaceutical amphetamine, such as Adderall or Vyvanse. Generally, I stay away from Ritalin just because I do not like the effects. I will say this though. The combination of both Xanax and Adderall when dealing with opiate WD is absolutely amazing. The Xanax works wonders at keeping the atrocious amounts of anxiety that WDing produces at bay, and I believe it also helps with reducing high levels of blood pressure. Plus, Xanax also has this effect for some reason of actually allowing a person to eat something (at least for me). Xanax combined with Adderall is fantastic because now you do not have the insane amount of anxiety that the WD produces, but you also have energy.

Now, I'm not saying that you are going to feel so amazing that you are going to want to run a marathon. Chances are, you are still going to feel WD symptoms such as slight flashes of hot and cold, chills, bit of a runny noses, achey legs, etc. For the achey legs, I usually would pop Aleve or Tylenol. So yeah, you are not going to feel 100% and you are still probably going to want to just chill under the covers in bed, but at least when you're doing so, you might have your computer in front of you and talking to people on the Internet or listening to music or watching video clips won't be so humdrum and boring as it would be if you did not have the Xanax and Adderall in your system.

I've tried to WD with Xanax by itself and yes, while it's better than not having anything at all, it just kind of knocks you out it seems like and makes you lethargic. With the Adderall mixed with the Xanax, you get that nice anxiety relief but also energy to actually be productive somehow and almost in a good mood. However, like I said, it is a matter of having availability to drugs such as Xanax and Adderall.

But man, I tell you, if you can and you are planning on kicking H or Oxy or whatever opiate you are doing, and you want to do so in a way that is not ridiculously dreadful, stock up on about 15-20 Adderalls and 15-20 Xanax. It WILL make your experience much easier and you will be able to get through the withdrawal period relatively unscathed.

If all you have is Adderall or another type of amphetamine, however, I would suggest not taking those at all during the withdrawal phase. Amphetamine by itself during withdrawal, in my experience, will have you running back to your spot quicker than just about anything else. Amphetamine by itself really just makes a person in WD crave opiates more to chill out the jittery-ness that the amphetamine causes.

Last edited:
I agree that Benzos help with the Anxiety and with helping you resume your appetite, although i would be careful how much and for how long you rely on the Benzos as im sure your aware it's very easy to become dependant on Benzos.

Also the Immoduim will work to stop the Diarrhea, although i only ever take the recommended daily doses, never have i tried to dose that high as to try to alleviate all my Opiate withdrawal symptoms, i hear of some people dosing upto 100mg a day on Immodium! :eek:

Ive never tried the Amphetamine route, although i do wonder if MDMA had any beneficial effects on withdrawals symptoms?

Also can anybody tell me if Benzos or MDMA in any way interfere with the way your body metabolises/clears Opiates from your system? (I may start a seperate thread for this)

Apologies if ive highjacked your thread a bit 'TwanBeezy'

Good Luck ;)

Kratom.

If you're really addicted to heroin or oxy's then go this route:

heroin or oxy's > bupe > kratom > kratom stem powder > clean

You should check out bluelight search, you will find a lot of great information on opiate withdraw and people past methods for dealing with it.

Ketamine certainly helps with psychological symptoms.

Shooting cocaine utterly decimates WDs, but it isn't exactly healthy or safe.

I am at 2 weeks sober from a 200+mg a day oxy habbit that was going on for 4 uears i took methadone for 4 days then jumped off, it was easier than when i tried kicking from 70mg of hydrocodone early in my addiction. It still sucked and it lasted alot longer but when i quite vicodin i wanted to blow my fuckin brains out but only for a few day, this time it was way milder but lasted 13 days it was nothing some immodium and xanax couldnt help

xanax and valium, clonidine, immodium, soma, iboprofin for a non opiate detox.

valium, suboxone, clonidine, ibuprofin for a bupe detox.

You looking for pharmacological solutions, or other?

Pharm wise: suboxone/methadone obviously. IF YOU FOLLOW THE "SUBOXONE/METHADONE RULES" it works. The rules being a dosing PLAN and following it! Whether you do rapid taper with it, or long term, it is kind of irrelevant, because the TRUE KEY to STICK TO YOUR PLAN! Not fuck with your dosage, ever. Not take more one day chasing a high, ever. Not forgetting to take it one day, taking more the next, etc etc etc. You NEVER FUCK with the dosage, stick to the plan, follow the rules, go to group, and it fucking can work for you. Key word being CAN. Addiction is a horrendous condition, and despite doing everything right, sometimes it just gets you. BUT i will promise you: if you do it correctly the entire way, you are giving yourself the best odds.

Other DRUGS that work:

-benzos: help with most effects, but I do NOT recommend them, as i personally have seen more people relapse on opiates by taking some benzos than anything else,

-ibuprofen: KEY! Helps with aches/actual pain SO MUCH!! take advil daily when in W/D), loperamide (immodium) works well for stomach issues as well as overall well being

-DXM: recommend amount helps a bit, helps end them faster as well as just helped me overall not feel as shitty (b/c of what receptors this hits in common with opiates I believe); some people even say robotripping helps them a LOT, although i do NOT recommend this myself

-marijuana: ONLY IF YOU ARE A SMOKER ALREADY! If you enjoy the effects of pot/smoke a lot, by all means give it a try. But just keep in mind, many people report marijuana exacerbating the effects of w/ds. I have noted myself that people who report that are usually the ones who are NOT avid smokers already, but just keep in mind it is possible whether or not youre an indulger in MJ already. I myself noticed quite a few times that MJ could make the w/d worse, as I would get stuck in my head and obsess over it. BUT for me, 9/10 times the MJ made me ache less, my stomach less of a roller coaster, helped my fever a bit, etc. Just remember: there are positives AND negatives to smoking MJ in withdrawals.

-ketamine: in my experience, ketamine eliminates almost 100% of withdrawal symptoms. even doing small bumps did it for me. Just dont over do it. I was w/d one time and did a bunch of K because it helps so much. But then i K holed and fell down a stair case, and fucked my shit up good.

Other things that are not drugs:

-exercise: every day, as much as you can. even if its nothing more than walking around outside for 10 minutes, fucking do it.

-take all advice, this advice for example. TAKE IT, give it an HONEST TRY. Your brain gets you fucked up, accept it. Once you accept it, you will realize you need outside ideas/input because its easier for other people to see the problems than it is for you, the one in the midst of them with the brain that likes getting you high

-Go to NA/AA. I know you dont wanna hear that, but fucking go. Even if only for the first 3 months, go there for an hour a day, shut the fuck up, and listen. If you aren't willing to devote 1 hour a day to something that will help you get clean....that speaks for itself. You should be willing to do whatever it takes.

^This is kind of a good way to separate those who will make it from those who will not. It shows who truly is dedicated IMO, vs those who are not. We get it, we all hate NA. We all hate their ideals, their logic, etc. I hate it too. BUT, I was willing to do whatever it takes. That included going to a place where I did not agree with their ideas, and taking their advice for a few months. It is not about what you want to do, but what you need to do. And this is something you need to do, however little you WANT to. FYI: i no longer attend. But going to meetings for those first 3 months gave me something to do that was NOT getting high, if only for that one hour that i was there. One hour, every day, for 90 days, is not asking a lot. and if you dont agree at the end with how they do things? At least you gave it an HONEST SHOT

-Write down why you are quitting and carry it around in your wallet. Write down "I want my life to improve I do not want to die, so I will never take another opiate/benzo/etc, again. when you get the urge to use, look at this. This is VERY IMPORTANT, because as you get better and time passes, your brain will start rewriting history and the reasons you quit. A month from now it wont be "I quit because my life was in pieces" it will be "I quit because i have no $" I promise you this will happen if you do not do something to curtail it. So do this.

-Finally: be honest. Stop lying, start being honest. Addicts lie about EVERYTHING. Its the nature of addiction, we lie so that we can keep the train rolling.

Good luck. I wont lie: it aint easy. It is hard as shit. Easily the hardest thing i've ever had to do was quit abusing drugs (opiates specifically). Its something i actively work against daily. But, quitting? Its worth it. Oh gods above is it worth it.

the amphetamine will help as it boosts dopamine receptors, much like opiates do, and the benzos will calm you down, much like opiates do.

and here we go, the vicious cycle begins!

once they stop working its back to opiates, and then oh dear its withdrawal time again, amphetamines and benzos.... see the pattern?

i have experienced this pattern myself, hence my short story underneath.

for anyone in opiate w/d who has been ADDICTED i don't recommend the use of any drug as it will simply kick start you with another drug to abuse.

when i came off opiates cold turkey after using them at high doses for around 2 years, spiraling out of control towards the last 3 months (300mg of oxy a day, along with benzos and amphetamines), i used promethazine to help me sleep because its literally un-abusable, immodium to stop the fire shits and l-tyrosine for 3-4 days too. i can safely say that withdrawing (i was w/ding from amphetamines, benzos and opiates at the same time though) was beyond hell. however, using those three things above i managed to stay sober for 6 months, along with regular NA meetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
for anyone in opiate w/d who has been ADDICTED i don't recommend the use of any drug as it will simply kick start you with another drug to abuse
I would agree with that completely, except for kratom. It is easy to withdraw from

i think that kratom is EASIER to withdraw from, but there are still withdrawal symptoms present.

a person with an addictive personality will just once again say fuck this and take more kratom, as it provides similar effects to opiates... there are lots of cases of kratom withdrawal if you look it up.

the real best and most effective way to stop opiates if you're REALLY hooked (and you actually are determined and have the willpower to stop opiates) is tapering, not switching to methadone as the withdrawal from that is even more unpleasant, or once the opiates are starting to clear out of you, switching and tapering with subutex, or even better subuxone, as it just blocks your opiate receptors full stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that kratom is EASIER to withdraw from, but there are still withdrawal symptoms present
Not if you use kratom "stem powder" afterwards to WD from kratom (stem powder is the bottom of the plant, and doesnt get you high but eliminates WD).

See my post in kratom thread: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...)Thread-v2?p=10825163&viewfull=1#post10825163

So here's my list of withdrawals from opiates compared to kratom and kratom "stem powder":

10/10 Heroin, bupe, fentanyl, methadone (I've never done those 4 but thats just by reading this forum)
8/10 Oxycontin, vicodins
7/10 Kratom extracts
6/10 Codeine
4/10 Kratom leaf powder
1/10 kratom "stem powder"

The good thing about taking kratom stem powder is it doesnt cause restless legs, it just saps your energy slightly for 4 days or so.

Feel free to add to that list if you dont agree with it :)

the amphetamine will help as it boosts dopamine receptors, much like opiates do, and the benzos will calm you down, much like opiates do.

and here we go, the vicious cycle begins!

once they stop working its back to opiates, and then oh dear its withdrawal time again, amphetamines and benzos.... see the pattern?

i have experienced this pattern myself, hence my short story underneath.

for anyone in opiate w/d who has been ADDICTED i don't recommend the use of any drug as it will simply kick start you with another drug to abuse.

when i came off opiates cold turkey after using them at high doses for around 2 years, spiraling out of control towards the last 3 months (300mg of oxy a day, along with benzos and amphetamines), i used promethazine to help me sleep because its literally un-abusable, immodium to stop the fire shits and l-tyrosine for 3-4 days too. i can safely say that withdrawing (i was w/ding from amphetamines, benzos and opiates at the same time though) was beyond hell. however, using those three things above i managed to stay sober for 6 months, along with regular NA meetings.
Good advice, a lot of which i can relate to as for the majority of the past 2-3 years ive been in a constant state of Benzo+Opiate withdrawal only to then start using again and then stop, start and so on.....

I found this thread because I noticed today after getting a bunch of xanax and adderall (and using a lot of the adderall for a night out), that i went through half the next day without needing my daily poppy seed tea.. and no withdrawal. Usually I am feeling a tiny bit of cold chills when I wake up in the morning (usually 6am) but at 12pm it was like I was just sober, no chills.

It got me thinking. I heard from a couple people that when they got super drunk the day or day after quitting it seemed to help stop w/d. Years ago when I kicked kratom (it can have a w/d as bad as regular opiates, I think people talk up kratom too much its not a magic plant) I just happened to take my last dose before I got shitfaced drunk on new years eve. Woke up the next day fine.. barely anything. I wonder if any of these things have something in common with ibogaine? Possibly a milder opiate kick effect but nobody really knows how it works... ? Maybe doing a bunch of Adderall affects norepinephrine/adrenaline/those types of receptors and maybe they then get more tolerant to whatever opiate withdrawal does to those receptors / that system. Clonidine supposedly helps during withdrawal.. its an a2 adrenergic agonist so maybe its all related somehow.

I think if you have BOTH Adderall (or another similar one, Vyvanse, Dexedrine, etc) and a nice amount of Xanax or other benzo, it could get you over the worst part just because you will get that "content" feeling from the Adderall. It kind of just makes you not want to get high on other things..because you have a decent sense of well being and energy. But then again, that's what opiates do. If you can't seem to just quit them without that extra "help" then whats the harm in trying... Once the physical withdrawal of the op8 is done then when you drop the other stuff you might even feel pretty good.

my Dog used 20mg adderall cut into 5mg dosages every 4-6 hours and found it extremely successful compared to cold turkey. He had no previous stim usage at all and a heavy opiate habit each time. He rates the adderall method used 8/10 and cold turkey 0/10. So you can see the draw to this method.

Have at least 6-7 days of adderall saved up calculated at what you think your dog may need, maybe he will need more or less, my dog just can give u account of what worked for stim naive canine such as him.

My dog dosed every 4 -6 hours setting 5-6 days of dosages out with planned times in a clear area with a clock and a stop watch to be doubly sure. He was really strict on himself and dosed no more after he knew first 5mg dose took most of edge off. He would guess it takes away 80% of bad symptoms in its peak.. and it drifts down to maybe 40% when he felt it wearing off... It helps him also by making time go really fast, which is useful as my dog didn't even realize 3 hours has past till it stops peaking (he just focused on a task he found fun like poker). Because my dog mentally knows he can repeat exp too it gives him extra courage to squeeze out 30 more mins or an hour often extra between dosages.. My dog suggests doing as much gaps as you can tolerate between dosing...so the payment later is also painless.

So he wouldn't call it sailing.. but it was MUCH easier than a cold turkey and that's only exp my dog can compare too... in days 6 and 7 he suffered equally and his body was drained even more so maybe after adderall method, so I think your body still feels everything underneath. But VERY useful if your loved one is too weak willed or addictied to quit cold turkey... I think most humans /canines could make it through doing this with great success 90% rate if its done right and they have any desire to quit legit at all. Just be careful not to run out and crash down during a day 3 opiate withdrawl... my dog read that's hell. Totally worth the risk for the increased chance of success if you plan well and research all posts and articles on it... cold turkey is not for everyone, enjoy additional exp my dog can provide on this topic. Let him know if his method helped you at all, curious to see if it can help other puppies. Peace! and gl!

I see people add xanax.. I don't think its needed... but if it helps people who suffer from anxiety during withdrawl, go for it! My dog never felt he needed it!

usually when im kicking, speed is not my friend. i can see the benzos helping, but adderall? just personal opinion and experience though...but yeah, in the past i have even tried using speed [meth] to kick heroin. DID NOT WORK. made it alot worse actually. not much has helped me except suboxone and now im on methadone. i prefer subs over done though...but its just that im in arizona and moved here spur of the moment to get clean. and i was kicking so the next morning i called the closest clinic by me and got on methadone that day. now im 90 days clean from h. AND meth. :]