• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Best calorie dense foods?

Most fish oil caps are 1G of fat and are 9 cals each, so it isnt that much if you take 5 caps a day its still under 50 cals.

I wouldnt even bother counting the cals its not much.

You shouldn't try and just increase your calorie intake with fats, it's not the most successful way to do it. Fats have a low GI, therefore taking longer to oxidise and leaving you fuller for longer and that makes it harder to reach your needed volume of food intake to gain weight. If you are trying to gain weight, you can afford to add sugar to things like cereal, there are extra calories that wont take up any space. White bread with honey........high GI, extra calories.... leaves you full for about an hour! Decreasing the ammount of fibre in your diet leaves extra room for you to include more calories. Eat more meals throughout the day, but make sure that they include some high GI foods, so you can physically fit in more food!

This is terrible advice. The last thing you want if you are trying to gain muscle is to have a diet high in high GI foods. The only time you want high gi foods is immediately before/after your workouts so that creates an insulin responce and will shuttle nutrients to your muscles.

Last edited:
^^^
You're entitled to your opinion but i disagree. I'm doing nutrition and human movemnt at uni, and i know far from everything, BUT EVERY SINGLE sports nutrition subject that i have had, basically states what i said there!!!! I didnt say to soley include ONLY high GI foods, i said include some more in ur diet. if you want to build muscle mass you need to be in positive nitrogen balance (from protein) and postive total ENERGY balance. Do you think its easier to eat 3000 calories worth of foods in HIGH GI form or LOW GI form!!!!! Try eating 3000 calories worth of food in soley low GI form and see how you go, you'll be feeling pretty dam full and uncomfortable, they take much longer to digest! I think you will find that most sport's nutritionist's will tell you to increase calorie intake by increasing the amount of high GI foods in your diet so you have more room to continue eating. They will not just say, dump extra fat in the diet!!!!!

I'm finding that to hit my 3000 calories a day I'm eating a lot of volume, is there any way to decrease the volume and still pack on the calories and maintain a healthy diet?
Eat more meat!