• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Best Benzo to use with Tramadol

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi fellas.
I don't know if this question belongs here or BDD.
What would be the best benzo to use in conjunction with tramadol? Both recreationally and to protect myself from any possible seizure from trams.
I take tramadol in doses of 400 to 700mg. and I have access to lorazepam, clonazepam, alprazolam and clotiazepam. Which of these can works better?

Hi fellas.
I don't know if this question belongs here or BDD.
What would be the best benzo to use in conjunction with tramadol? Both recreationally and to protect myself from any possible seizure from trams.
I take tramadol in doses of 400 to 700mg. and I have access to lorazepam, clonazepam, alprazolam and clotiazepam. Which of these can works better?
You really shouldn't go above 400mg within 24hrs. I know 2 people who died from 450mg. I have been stupid enough to go above 400 2 or 3 times, twice I think to 450 and once to 500 when in really bad pain, when I did the 500 I had 25 or 30mg of diazepam and I felt fine. One of the times I did 450 I felt really shaky and had no benzo but luckily had shit loads of ketamine so did that and felt OK.

My guess would be clonaz, but AFAIK all benzos will help

^^^^you know two people that died from 450mg? They must have been on some heavy serotonergic drugs and died of serotonin syndrome as opposed to a tramadol induced seizure. That is a possible but statistically unlikely unless complicated by other drug use.

Clonazepam is the most effective of those against seizures/SE, though IV lorazepam is what would be used in a clinical setting.

Don't take this as license to be foolish but I took 800-1000mg of tramadol a day for about a 10 months without an issue, but apparently im not seizure prone. I think i was taking benzos at the time as well though. I was also a heavy MDPV user at the time.

Be careful though. Benzos will help however. The bigger issue is benzo addiction, which is a nightmare.

You really shouldn't go above 400mg within 24hrs. I know 2 people who died from 450mg. I have been stupid enough to go above 400 2 or 3 times, twice I think to 450 and once to 500 when in really bad pain, when I did the 500 I had 25 or 30mg of diazepam and I felt fine. One of the times I did 450 I felt really shaky and had no benzo but luckily had shit loads of ketamine so did that and felt OK.

My guess would be clonaz, but AFAIK all benzos will help

I am sorry to hear that. Wow. I thought tramadol alone was unlikely to cause deaths. Mixed with other drugs is another story.
I have excellent tolerance btw, I have never suffered seizures (considering sometimes I take 1000mg). But I'm benzo-naive, I hardly ever take them. This year I only took one pill. Did your friends take only tramadol or did they take it with another drugs?

^^^^you know two people that died from 450mg? They must have been on some heavy serotonergic drugs and died of serotonin syndrome as opposed to a tramadol induced seizure. That is a possible but statistically unlikely unless complicated by other drug use.

Clonazepam is the most effective of those against seizures/SE, though IV lorazepam is what would be used in a clinical setting.

Don't take this as license to be foolish but I took 800-1000mg of tramadol a day for about a 10 months without an issue, but apparently im not seizure prone. I think i was taking benzos at the time as well though. I was also a heavy MDPV user at the time.

Be careful though. Benzos will help however. The bigger issue is benzo addiction, which is a nightmare.

Yes, I am not prone to seizures either because I have been taking it in high doses for more than 1 year and nothing serious has ever happened to me. I don't think I can abuse benzos by themselves. They don't seem like a big deal to me and also where I live they are somewhat expensive.

Last edited:
The truth is you'll probably fine. I've known of a large number of individuals who have consumed 400mg+ doses for long periods of time.

Yet, l also worked on a wrongful death case where a death occurred from the coprescription of tramadol and antidepressants, the combination of which appeared to result in fatal serotonin syndrome. Who knows what actually happened but based on the coroner's report (the toxicology in particular), and what his wife said (she found him dead on his bed, sheets soaking wet in sweat; ie probable serotonin syndrome), tramadol can be a tricky substance.

I guess the problem is though you probably will, you might not be fine, so take care. Benzo addiction is the bigger danger statistically speaking. Dont take benzos more than once every 10 days to be safe...

I am in a tricky position here as a moderator in that I am aware of the variances that exist between the theoretical and experiental and anecdotal, so while the most conservative harm reductionist would say that the maximum dose is 400mg and no more (based on the literature), I myself would say that higher doses may carry an acceptably higher risk in certain conditions. It is not matter of safer drug use here ultimately...because frankly this site revolves around the notion of a safer way to engage in unsafe behaviors and the dissemination of the methods to mitigate these dangers (ie, safer drug abuse, which is inherently dangerous)...

So again, the answer is clonazepam, but that answer itself brings about more dangers (benzodiazepine addiction).

The biggest bit of harm reduction here is first, dont use benzos with any regularity, and secondarily, avoid heavy tramadol abuse of tramadol if you are on serotonergic drugs or seziure prone (the second of which isn't always clearly known till the shits hit the fan). And third, avoid high dose tramadol abuse overall if possible.

The truth is you'll probably fine. I've known of a large number of individuals who have consumed 400mg+ doses for long periods of time.

Yet, l also worked on a wrongful death case where a death occurred from the coprescription of tramadol and antidepressants, the combination of which appeared to result in fatal serotonin syndrome. Who knows what actually happened but based on the coroner's report (the toxicology in particular), and what his wife said (she found him dead on his bed, sheets soaking wet in sweat; ie probable serotonin syndrome), tramadol can be a tricky substance.

I guess the problem is though you probably will, you might not be fine, so take care. Benzo addiction is the bigger danger statistically speaking. Dont take benzos more than once every 10 days to be safe...

I am in a tricky position here as a moderator in that I am aware of the variances that exist between the theoretical and experiental and anecdotal, so while the most conservative harm reductionist would say that the maximum dose is 400mg and no more (based on the literature), I myself would say that higher doses may carry an acceptably higher risk in certain conditions. It is not matter of safer drug use here ultimately...because frankly this site revolves around the notion of a safer way to engage in unsafe behaviors and the dissemination of the methods to mitigate these dangers (ie, safer drug abuse, which is inherently dangerous)...

So again, the answer is clonazepam, but that answer itself brings about more dangers (benzodiazepine addiction).

The biggest bit of harm reduction here is first, dont use benzos with any regularity, and secondarily, avoid heavy tramadol abuse of tramadol if you are on serotonergic drugs or seziure prone (the second of which isn't always clearly known till the shits hit the fan). And third, avoid high dose tramadol abuse overall if possible.

If you have tolerance to klonopin and ativan, can other benzos such as xanax or valiem work for you?

I've always thought that a lot of people get seizures from tramadol from taking too much / too soon. Anyone who has not taken never tramadol or has a low tolerance will seizure or feel like shit if take a dose greater than 400mg. My doses have gradually increased and I think I found my sweet spot. Also, many people do not even know that if you take tramadol is best not take any other drugs (legal or not). Tramadol is hardly compatible with anything except benzos. Many antidepressants have a very long half-life and taking tramadol, without the antidepressants having completely left your system, is asking for trouble.

to answer your main Q i would go for the clonazepam and 2ndly for the alzam
But i personal prefer diazepam or bromazepam for this.

Ativan is a great benzo for what it's supposed to be used for. It gets rid of anxiety and does not have the withdrawal severity that alprazolam or klonopin tend to for people. It depends on dosage and stuff obviously but it's an easier script to have access to since it's not as often abused so doctors are more willing to prescribe it.

There's always going to be a potentially lethal factor in combining opioids with another downer but ativan is on the more milder side so i'd imagine it would lower that health risk too.

Just for interest sake but rate xanax higher then clonazepam, i have used up 10mg once and that was not nearly as strong as 4mg alzam. So guess the way our bodies respond to said benzo can be miles apart it seems. Just my own experience or personal input. Guess i just don't like rivotril/clonazepam.