• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

benzos to counter ampthetamine overdoses?

nancy145

Bluelighter
EDIT: just realized i posted this in the MDMA and empathogentic drugs forum instead in the other drugs-ampthetamines forum. Can someone tell me how to move it?

so i posted a while ago asking if you can use benzodiazepines to counter an amphetamine(specificly adderall) overdose. the answer i got was yes. i know to always call 911 if i ever think anyones dying, but in cases where someone just did too much and wants to stop it or if theyre in slight danger its probably a better idea to try to stop it with benzos first. my friend that does adderall barely ever does it so he has almost no tolerance and usually does either 30 or 40 mg of either short acting or XR. i had a huge tolerence, i was able to take 140 mg within 1 hour and not get high and normally took 40 mg every day, 20mg short acting and 20mg XR, but about 2 weeks ago i started taking 20mg every other day for i think 6 days then completely stopped taking it regularly, only taking 40 mg 3 times since and snorting 70mg XR once, so i dont really know my tolerence. i only have access to xanex, so thats all i can use as a benzo. for my friend, what would be a good dose of xanax in case hes having an anxiety attack or a too fast heartrate or something bad but not bad enough to call 911 for 30mg and 40mg, and for short release and for XR(if it makes a difference)? for me, about how much xanax would counter about how much adderall at my estimated tolerence right now for short release and for XR(if it makes a difference)? also, i know you need a huge amount of xanax to overdose normally, but could too much xanax kill, endanger, or stop the xanax from countering the adderall overdose while your on adderall? and what method should i take the xanax in(orally,snorting,etc.)? sorry if theres any extra unnecessary infromation, im on 40mg right now. thanks.

Last edited:
Benzos might help, but antipsychotics (D2 receptor antagonists) are the gold standard as amphetamine antidotes, since they are discovered based on their ability to reverse amphetamine induced psychosis in rats. If you don't have access to antipsychotics, benzodiazepines I guess would be my second choice and alcohol a distant third choice.

IME overdosage with amphetamine doesn't really start happening until more than 500mg is taken. I was very uncomfortable on 900mg. 1500mg would likely prove fatal from what I've read, but since for ethical reasons, LD50 studies can't be performed on humans, there is quite a bit of leeway in all those estimations and of course variability among persons based on things such as metabolism, genes, tolerance, weight, gender, age, other drugs taken, etc.

Give him one - tell him its a double strength pill. Give it an hour and give one more.

Freaking out on speed is horrible, change the setting - change the music, the temperature etc (not to extremes). Change what they are focusing on - count something, make something, look at pictures, draw something if your not into drawing do something that gets them out of that loop.

If they are super paranoid - play along a bit, devise a plan of action (take your time doing it get paper and pens) - door block, what kind of wood do you think is best (look it up), should you use nails or screws (look it up) etc. By the time you have devised your plan of action he will be down and looking at you thinking wtf are you talking about.

I think your friend is psyching himself out. Give him a placebo(anything harmless that won't get you high or interacts) and see if that dose the trick. I used to freak myself out when I took stims. If that doesn't work than you should Use your benzo.

Yes, benzo, with Clonidine 0.1mg (or guanfacine 1mg-1.5mg), some nicotine gum 4mg also an hour after the alpha agonist.

Also make sure he doesn't lie down, keep him seated, with the head in a vertical position. Standing would be best but because of the heart load it's impractical. Measure pulse/blood pressure after 2 hours, if it's still high and he doesn't faint when standing up give another 0.05mg Clonidine.

Last edited:
Yeah get it in him..

if if its not a huge dose but he feels uncomfortable. Any Benzo will do. The problem with that is. It will chill him down to the point where he wants more stems. Then he can do without showing signs.

You can literally take benzos all day before they make you sleep and never ever do. The problem is they chill the effects of stims which means you can od on them by taking to many stims but not feeling as high.

basically give the person a np enjoy and no more stim.

I believe Seroquel would help. 200 mg will calm down anyone. I am not saying this is something to be used to balance but it does calm you down considerably.

25 may help even better and send him to sleep. The higher dose you take the less sedative it becomes.

any downer works obviously.

but the one I would take would be loranazpam (Ativan) with diazepam . I don't really like Ativan. But it's the usual med given to patients that go to ER for ODing.

Yes. Seroquel IMO only for emergencies or when you really can´t sleep. 100 mg is the maximum I take. More than that makes me drowsy and inoperant.
And it lasts forever.

I hate that drug. It's totally unfunctional . My IQ dropped in half and I put a stone on in a month. I got straight of it.

i won't take any anti phscotics. You can't work on them (well not certain jobs anyway) but abilify is supposedly the one to take if they are truly needed

luckily I lost the weight but I had missed out on so much work and made so many errors it took ages to fix that.

I have taken Xanax many times when I had to much meth usually <500mg or more and I need a couple mg of xanax . Xanax is nice with meth anyhow ;because it takes the edge off ,and all the anxiety away so I can enjoy the high from meth much more .

I hate that drug. It's totally unfunctional . My IQ dropped in half and I put a stone on in a month. I got straight of it.

i won't take any anti phscotics. You can't work on them (well not certain jobs anyway) but abilify is supposedly the one to take if they are truly needed

luckily I lost the weight but I had missed out on so much work and made so many errors it took ages to fix that.

Seroquel sucks IMO! I can´t even work if I take it the night before. One must need at least 12 hours in bed to recover. It makes us hungry, slow and terribly drowsy - not in a good way.