• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Benzos: That time has arrived

The drug laws are so stupid, letting people suffer from pain not prescribing pain meds because they're afraid of people getting addicted, when they are only make the drug dealers richer, same goes for mental health patients, I'm afraid to ask my Doctor to increase my dosage of benzos, after being on the samedosage for almost two years, don't they know they have to increase it that your body gets use to it? I've been trying to taper off these benzos to get back to my normal dosage, I also have to take sleep medication, and even that's not helping anymore. I've been taking the same dose for almost two years as well.
Doctors should be penalized for suddenly cutting a patient off benzos or doing other shit which they are getting away with. Like prescribing anti psychotics when the patient is clearly not schizophrenic or manic. A quick Google search will tell you that psychosis can actually be caused by LOW dopamine levels too.

I prescribed a massive dose of suboxone and I've never had a problem with opiates...ever. Constantly worried about shitting out concrete.

Seems like the worst part is over. Symptoms greatly reduced since I started consuming things most regular drug users are lacking, meth and alcohol being the biggest culprits. I'm drinking an 'oral rehydration solution' aka 'Pedialyte' with sodium, potassium, and chloride as the main ingredients. Also been replenishing magnesium, zinc, and selenium. All in their most highly absorbed forms. The magnesium is most important when it comes to booze and benzos as you need it for proper muscle functioning.

This highly relates to tonic clonic withdrawal seizures which can be life threatening and cause coma and death, alcohol is the most common for obvious reasons and benzodiazepines are second and more dangerous overall because they can cause withdrawal seizures much much sooner even at therapeutic doses. In my case I blacked out at least 20 minutes before it happened there were no benzos or alcohol in my blood. How often does that happen?

I'm actually shocked at this turn of events due to a bit of methamphetamine being smoked, I was expecting symptoms to immediately worsen but they haven't except one occasion where I stayed awake 48 hours doing it and brain activity became hyper active and pulse and systolic BP were 190 and 170, respectively. Ended up taking 5mg Haldol and 525mg Lyrica before a public outing. Started feeling a bit slow halfway through and had some difficulty signing some forms. The Lyrica was from someone else's old script. It's a more efficient anticonvulsant than gabapentin and I want a script for the final purge.

Well, I guess it won't be final because staying substance free for life is unrealistic to say the least. Especially when I no longer share wifi with anybody else ;)

I hope to get rid of the 20mg diazepam and alcohol simultaneously while taking 300mg Lyrica 3 times daily for 4 weeks most likely. Any smaller dose won't keep me from drinking.

Already been 3 days since last diazepam intake. Mostly due to me not wanting to go out past noon especially to take 10mg at the pharmacy and bring another 10mg back home. Hopefully alcohol consumption won't increase which was a big factor to what happened due to it's diuretic effect. Plain old water will make things worsen.

May not be back for a while, mostly due to my 23$ per month VPN connection repeatedly dropping which makes me very uncomfortable when using any forum or privately-owned website, even if it's just bluelight. Having it happen on a .onion site makes my skin crawl.

Later.

Last edited:
Doctors should be penalized for suddenly cutting a patient off benzos or doing other shit which they are getting away with. Like prescribing anti psychotics when the patient is clearly not schizophrenic or manic. A quick Google search will tell you that psychosis can actually be caused by LOW dopamine levels too.

I prescribed a massive dose of suboxone and I've never had a problem with opiates...ever. Constantly worried about shitting out concrete.
I had surgery on my left shoulder, they gave me 15 oxys they cut a spur out, and after nerve medicine they gave me wore off the next day, my God the pain I was in, I called his office for a refill they said they wouldn't couldn't give me anymore, I had to keep calling the Doctor and complain to his receptionist that 800mg Ibuprofen and Tylenol extra strength which I was popping them together wasn't doing anything and that I was literally suffering in pain, they cut fucking bone out of my arm and think over the counter medication is going to help? Finally the Doctor gave me another 15 pills of oxys 5/325 take one every 6 hours, believe that shit? I called back the medication was the same instructions as the first 15 one pill every 6 hours within in 2 hours or less my pain was back, I called the Doctor's office back his receptionist spoke to the doctors assistant, he said I can take two if the pain gets worse.

You know how fast you are going to go through 15 pills taking two every 6 hours? Pretty fast, well when I finished those I called again, this time he flat out told me I'm not going to give you anymore that I have to bear the pain and take it and take over the counter pain meds, and he prescribed me Prednisone a steroid, I took that, it didn't do a damn thing I took them as prescribed, and nothing, which I've taken them before for bronchitis and it helped but not to relieve pain.

Theses Doctors have no mercy, they cut bone out of my arm and literally let me suffer in pain, didn't even care I was in pain.

They should get sued for letting people suffer like that, they're all scared of the opiod crisis that everyone is going to get hooked, that's not right, more people will turn to street dealers if they can't take the pain, I don't know any or the horrible pain I was suffering that was unbearable, if I knew one I would have gone to him for oxys or whatever I could get.

They are going to create more addicts this way.

@BenzoBrain3 glad your feeling better brother, hope you get through this and beat it.

I am sorry to read all this, after that post when you said things are turning out for the better. But you have, among other things, diazepam 20mg/daily prescribed. If you really have to go down right now then try to do a slow taper. You have tried cold turkey and obviously, it led to more trouble. I would say that it is a time to re-assess and if really needed to stop diazepam then try to go down by 10% every week or two. I hope it all turns out for the best.

And I'm still trying to cut back on my benzo use, I'm suppose to take 0.5 of klonopin every 12 hours wich equals to 1.0mg a day.

I'm taking up to 4-6 mg of different benzos a day, the anxiety and stress has been too much lately.

OMG!!!!! LordofThisWorld! I so feel your pain. I am prescribed 0.5 xans every month. I was still using heroin, so I rarely took the xans for my anxiety. The dope covered that quite nicely. Now, today, I am 12 days off the dope, but I have been eating those xans like they are going out of style. So, I am digging a much bigger hole for myself, even though I do suffer from panic attacks, PTSD and just garden variety anxiety. I even called my doctor yesterday to discuss upping my dose. I've been at 0.5 for a year. Allowed to take 4 a day. Been taking 4 at a time:( I know this could be temporary until I really start to feel better off the heroin...but I am scared. I keep reading the horror stories of coming off benzos. Anyone have ideas on how to titrate back down slowly. I have 120 a month, so I can take my time.

OMG!!!!! LordofThisWorld! I so feel your pain. I am prescribed 0.5 xans every month. I was still using heroin, so I rarely took the xans for my anxiety. The dope covered that quite nicely. Now, today, I am 12 days off the dope, but I have been eating those xans like they are going out of style. So, I am digging a much bigger hole for myself, even though I do suffer from panic attacks, PTSD and just garden variety anxiety. I even called my doctor yesterday to discuss upping my dose. I've been at 0.5 for a year. Allowed to take 4 a day. Been taking 4 at a time:( I know this could be temporary until I really start to feel better off the heroin...but I am scared. I keep reading the horror stories of coming off benzos. Anyone have ideas on how to titrate back down slowly. I have 120 a month, so I can take my time.
Sorry to hear you’re going through that, I’m afraid to ask my doctor to increase my dosage, it’s been like two years now on the same dosage, 0.5mg twice a day just ain’t cutting it.

gabapentin and pregablin do cause serous withdrawal, seems an out of the frying pan, into the fire scenario and if you are still taking benzos then its not meeting its stated aim.

my personal experience is that i get addicted to every drug that i'm in the vicinity of. so if i was given that script i'd be abusing it in no time and making my life harder in the long run. i assume anyone who gets addicted to anything has the potential to cross addict/add addictions.

has your doctor talked about a potential reduction schedule for the benzos? tbh i think its pretty irresponsible to prescribe another similar drug.

@lovemissile66 well done for getting 12 days off the dope!! benzos can be great in the acute withdrawal but as you know there is massive scope for cross addiction so i really hope you phase them out soon. i had horrendous ptsd that heroin was masking too, i needed some in depth therapy to make it possible for me to be clean. do you have that opton?

@BenzoBrain^ Just out of curiosity, along with your taper... What drugs do you use? With what frequency? It sounds like there is a lot going on. From reading your first post to the most recent... It sounds like there is a lot going on. Maybe if you laid it all out on the table we could be more helpful? Do you want to be off of substances and/or be more recovery minded? Or are you happy with your status quo?

Regarding dosage reduction, yes and no. He wanted me to do it impatient which I did for 1 night as I wasn't happy with the protocol they had me on. Waking me up at 4am to give me 10mg Valium...
When I arrived they almost called an ambulance because my pulse was in heart attack range..that was the only time I got more than a 10mg dose.
in your previous post regarding all the meds you are on i can see why they would want to do this in IP. its pretty normal to do benzo reductions in a detox facility due to the associated dangers.

honestly being woken up at 4am sucks but its not really worth risking your life over.

when i got clean i had to be prepared to do literally everything anyone told me to- admittedly no one told me to wake up at 4am lol- because i knew i knew fuck all about how to live without drugs so was better just doing what i was told. that was a new experience. now i have a bit more faith in my ability to make decisions for myself but thats after over 2.5 years of really hard work.

definitely get the gabapentin reduced right now. are you in the states? i don't think anyone in the UK would ever get prescribed such a cocktail of drugs and i just find it mind boggling that doctors would do that to someone.

Regarding dosage reduction, yes and no. He wanted me to do it impatient which I did for 1 night as I wasn't happy with the protocol they had me on. Waking me up at 4am to give me 10mg Valium...
When I arrived they almost called an ambulance because my pulse was in heart attack range..that was the only time I got more than a 10mg dose.

I was told he might get flagged if he prescribed a large dose outside of detox while still having access to alcohol. So, trying to figure out what to do about that.
Mate every time I've been in detox for severe alcohol withdrawals they've done this. It's part of the protocol. Hey, it's better than having a seizure 🤷‍♀️

Definitely not happy with status quo. I'm still physically dependent on benzodiazepines but am motivated to get the monkey off my back. I'm still getting tremors while taking 20mg diazepam daily along with 1mg Ativan daily. I am not taking any benzos illicitly or any other street drugs. But I am consuming a decent amount of hard alcohol. I don't drink everyday but when I do it's usually around 30oz whiskey or rum.

Also using Haldol to treat agitation and paranoia. It excels at it but is giving me extrapyramidal symptoms which interferes with sleep. Even after taking 1800mg gabapentin it took 5 hours for me to sleep and it was only for 3 hours.

I'm prescribed 3mg benztropine daily to treat the EPS. I'm taking 1000mg Metformin to help reduce anti psychotic weight gain and insulin resistance.

I've been on anti depressants since 2012. Current one is Venlafaxine 187.5mg daily. Trazodone is 150mg bedtime along with 50mg Aventyl. Spoke with psychiatrist today and he agreed that my 5mg Ed Haldol is too much and I should just take 1mg upon waking and 1mg at bedtime.

I'm thinking a temporary break or dose reduction to the gabapentin is in order as I don't need more withdrawal symptoms.

As mentioned in my internet Security thread (not the Lounge one lol), I'm having to deal with targeted malware attacks, sophisticated rootkits, etc. But I recently changed to a new device and internet connection. My ISP can't see my activities so hopefully no 3rd parties can either.

So yeah, a lot going on these days.

Sounds like it. You can only tackle one thing at a time substance-wise IME. I would suggest that you slowly reduce your alcohol consumption over the next month and see if you can do without. As you bring that down you may notice that the benzos (this will take a bit) work better.

As for your internet security thread... Would you link me? I'm fairly fluent in that realm and might be able to help you out there.

gabapentin and pregablin do cause serous withdrawal, seems an out of the frying pan, into the fire scenario and if you are still taking benzos then its not meeting its stated aim.

my personal experience is that i get addicted to every drug that i'm in the vicinity of. so if i was given that script i'd be abusing it in no time and making my life harder in the long run. i assume anyone who gets addicted to anything has the potential to cross addict/add addictions.

has your doctor talked about a potential reduction schedule for the benzos? tbh i think its pretty irresponsible to prescribe another similar drug.

@lovemissile66 well done for getting 12 days off the dope!! benzos can be great in the acute withdrawal but as you know there is massive scope for cross addiction so i really hope you phase them out soon. i had horrendous ptsd that heroin was masking too, i needed some in depth therapy to make it possible for me to be clean. do you have that opton?
Thanks chinup, even though I have now relapsed. Its cool. I really do need a therapist. But I have had the worst luck finding a good one. I also don't know if I want to spend/or how willing I am to spend

time dredging up the past. But having an unbiased person who FUCKING LISTENS, would be nice. And I know that just quitting the dope is not going to fix my problems. The dope masked my problems.

So. I still HAVE problems:cool:

Holy shit, this past weekend was insane. I drank over 100 ounces of hard alcohol. Mostly whisky, but some vodka and rum was mixed in too. I don't remember very much.

Lost and found my cell phone multiple times. Did a faceplant out of a camper truck straight onto concrete. 2 people fucking right beside me as I was passed out. They finished and tried waking me up multiple different times but I wouldn't respond even though they were basically slapping me.

Went to detox this morning but left after 5 hours. Will attempt to tough it out again within 72 hours.

Basically a 2 day blackout, woke up with a random black eye, clean shaved baby face, cuts, and other random injuries.
I quit drinking, mixing benzos and and other meds use to turn me into Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I'd rather just take my benzo pill relax and not wake up with any surprises, I've wound up in jail for mixing the two, I use to take a compound pill I forget the name but it was Elavil mixed with something else probably a benzo, man that with alcohol did strange shit to me.

Lay off the alcohol.

Holy shit, this past weekend was insane. I drank over 100 ounces of hard alcohol. Mostly whisky, but some vodka and rum was mixed in too. I don't remember very much.

Lost and found my cell phone multiple times. Did a faceplant out of a camper truck straight onto concrete. 2 people fucking right beside me as I was passed out. They finished and tried waking me up multiple different times but I wouldn't respond even though they were basically slapping me.

Went to detox this morning but left after 5 hours. Will attempt to tough it out again within 72 hours.

Basically a 2 day blackout, woke up with a random black eye, clean shaved baby face, cuts, and other random injuries.
Stay safe man. Hope you get your use under control 🙏

Benzos are completely fucked, but the effects of long term alcohol abuse/addiction are just as fucked.

ive had pancreatitis before and it fucking sucks. Been hospitalised for physical and mental issues due to alcoholism. Struggled with it among other substances for years.

my dad has cirrhosis of the liver, hepatic encephalopathy (not fucking fun to watch someone go down hill with and end up in stupor and comas in the ICU from), oesophageal varices (holes in the oesophagus that bleed and end up filling up his insides with blood - can’t believe he didn’t die).

Not cool to have to carry your dad down a few flights of stairs (multiple times) while he is unresponsive and an inch from death. And the reason he is nearly dying is the same thing I am trying to deal with...

oh yeh he also has dementia (alcohol definitely didn’t help that one either).

stay strong brother and keep your eyes on the prize. Thinking of you.