• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzos and alcohol

Xan_Man

Bluelighter
I'm sure this had already been said but i want to reiterate that if you insist on mixing benzo and alcohol PLEASE stick to light beer unless you are not a rookie

True
Maybe a mod could make a sticky with dangerous combinations and why they are dangerous etc. so we don't have to tell every new member that mixing CNS depressants is dangerous and stupid.

Did someone have a unpleasant experience?^^ No offense :)

I also think this should be a sticky considering how often the combination of either Alcohol and Benzos, Alcohol and Opioids or Benzos and Opioids is the subject of a question or a new thread.

Same goes for Stimulants. For example Stims & Tramadol etc. and MAOIs, Antidepressants, the list goes on.

If I remember correctly there was a thread about dangerous combos back then but I don't know if it was stickied.

My best friend has been combining benzos with booze ( albeit just wine or beer ), opiates with benzos and booze, etc. for over 20 years. The only bad experiences were when she took her Dr prescribed Vics with Soma ( a muscle relaxant).
I was out to dinner with her when she had some kind of seizure; couldn't move, drooling, face fell forward into soup bowl. It took her a couple of minutes to come around. This had happened several times before.
Was this a seizure?
If so, why do Drs prescribe them together?

^I don't think that soma nor vicodin would induce a seizure. Was she withdrawing for booze/benzos at the time?
She should get checked out by a doctor, it doesn't sound healthy.

Benzos and barbs are the 2 things I never mix alcohol with anymore. Your breathing gets way too scary at times with those concoctions. The only thing I drink with is my percocet and I can thankfully only drink 2-3 drinks before being tired af, wanting to pass out thankfully. My worst hangovers was actually after a morning or percocet and half a waterbottle of liquor. I totally forgot to drink any water and when I woke up after I got home from school, cut last period because I couldn't even stay awake. I just wanted to kill myself after dry heaving so much. Nothing world stay down, not even water. One of the worst days of my life. Learning experiences I say, never mistakes.

I used to wonder, after enough observation why opiate/opioid users, if they hadn't before their dope habits, end up gravitating to benzos....i understand why now that I have taken this path, being stuck in the necessary drug cycle of an opiate tolerant user who struggles to get high....i think many of us want to go to the land of nod, this was easy to reach during the first year of daily use of oxycodone.

.... but once my doses reached 100mgs and way more, I lost the "magic" when the opioid I was taking could no longer encompass me in warmth and drift into vivid nod dreams, didn't happen no matter the dose - that's when benzos are added, to obtain some sort of nod (very unique in themselves) but a sort of fake nod to go with you're opiate.

It's cautiously awesome slipping in and out whilst on alprazolam, when 2mgs got you there. 90mgs of Oxazepam has given me a very pleasant and "pushy" (which I like) euphoria.....not always repeatedly cos other times you just constantly"come to" halfway through or about to do something....still interesting experiences. Sorry for the probably unrelated post I guess I had opiate/booze and benzos on the mind and also in my blood stream. Fuck anxiety - feels like a lame first world problem that would be of no concern for someone much less fortunate than I as they have bigger issues like obtaining the days food. They don't have time to be bogged down with psychological bullshit. Fml.

Barbiturates and opioid are not to be mixed with alcohol. You can't mix some soma either because carisoprodol works exactly like a barbiturate once it gets metabolized into meprobamate. Now I have NEVER had a problem mixing benzos and alcohol and their have never been any deaths due to pharmacological interaction because alcohol doesn't prolong the open state of the chloride channel like barbiturates do. You're more likely to pass out or due stupid shit but it's not going to kill you.

Now I have NEVER had a problem mixing benzos and alcohol and their have never been any deaths due to pharmacological interaction because alcohol doesn't prolong the open state of the chloride channel like barbiturates do. You're more likely to pass out or due stupid shit but it's not going to kill you.

Tell that the people who died because of this combination

I've talked to doctors and have found no case reports anywhere online. If you're BAC is approaching .32 - .40 then yeah you're going to if you mix or take excessive benzos. But taking normal amounts is not dangerous.

I've talked to doctors and have found no case reports anywhere online. If you're BAC is approaching .32 - .40 then yeah you're going to if you mix or take excessive benzos. But taking normal amounts is not dangerous.

People get prescribed benzos and barbiturates together all the time for seizures and whatnot (I take phenobarbital clonazepam and topamax and temazepam at bedtime) and they don't die. So taking some benzos with a few beers is jot going to kill you.

Sure, if you take both in moderation you won't die, but maybe black out, but taking large amounts of both will lead to increased respiratory depression and thus death

I'm just saying it's not as dangerous as people say it is. Unless you're hinge drinking or eating and snorting handfuls of xanax people should be ok. GABA wise these drugs work on the channel similarly. Its just that in high doses alcohol begins to inhibit AMPA receptor activity thus shutting down important excitatory pathways leading to major neuronal depression.

^It is not all about the lethal potential but the potential to blackout etc. and endanger yourself and others during the phase. That is a fact and nothing to sugarcoat.

Alcohol is contraindicated with Benzos for good reasons and even small doses with just enough alcohol are enough for a lot of people to end up completely wasted to a dangerous degree.
Benzos+Alcohol is just a big No-Go, the combo is highly irresponsible. You probably have a large tolerance due to your daily medication which does not make a good standard-example.
Just because you had no problems does not mean nobody else will :)

I'm bumping this post. I do agree I would not suggest doing both. For a long time, I never really thought about the outcome of mixing the two. I would day drink, and then drink through the night and when it was time to go to sleep I would take a benzo to pass out. Sometimes I would take some halfway through my drinking. For no other reason, other than to just calm myself. Now, after reading up on it and realize that you can actually stop breathing in your sleep from this combination, I shyed away completely. As said above, it's either one or the other. I would not suggest mixing. In the past, when I did mix them...I made a total asshole of myself. I said stuff I didn't mean, didn't remember and overall just didn't care. It was a pretty dark period. If I drink , I make sure I am in an environment where I won't feel uncomfortable to have to take a benzo. Most importantly , I put myself in a situation where I won't have to drive either. This is super important. Honestly, though...all those times I wish I had back and I would have did things a lot differently. Nothing I can do to change it now I suppose, but overall just a bad choice. No reason to wake up with "booze bruises" and wondering where all my stuff went and not being able to recollect anything. Really, it's just not worth it. Don't do it